NeoSoulGamer's First Impressions and Tutorials

SimProse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very nice feedback on those First Impressions videos! I love how honest you are in them :)
Honest, but objective and not an ass about it. Many streamers mistake being a rude, nasty, raving jerk for being "honest". You don't make snap judgements about a game after 5 minutes, and weigh positives and negatives equally. Your video review of my game helped me a lot to fine tune it actually. I'm now a subscriber, BTW.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Strangers of the Power 2-Country hillbillies everywhere are offended by Wilhemina portray. I think Wilhemina just set back woman's right back 50 years. And I thought my game had a ghost town. I think the Innkeeper lost a bet and his punishment is to be an Innkeeper. The sorceress sounds like she should come with her own whip and handcuffs. With all that money you'd think he'd be able to pay someone to change his name from Bedpan. If no one knew my name was Bedpan I would make another name up. why is he named Bedpan? Did his parents think he is always full of crap? I would go out of the way to not make any of my main characters annoying. When you are hoping one of your characters would die so they stop talking that's not a good thing.

Arin

Tonight...we dine...in-oh a piece of candy!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Fraglspock
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New video up! I get a little upset during the first battle after addressing something that I've seen in many RM games that just shouldn't happen.
Firstly a couple of things. This voice acting is really bad. But not "bad" in the sense that it isn't executed greatly, which it is, but it's bad in the sense that the tone and the archaic accent for Wilhemina, the main character, typically does not fit in a "fantasy-esque" setting. Were this a Western or Steampunk-ish type of setting, I could see it working. ONLY WORKING. Not actually good. But the fact that it seems forced and overly exaggerated makes it lesser of a quality than it should be.

The text is way too slow. For the voice acting portions I guess it's fine but for all the other scenarios it's just too slow.

For battles, Wingless-Seraph music is always a plus. However, the execution for the battles themselves is shallow. Hell, even I use the same plugins but I consistently try to put effort into them.

23:45. Actually, if you count all of the other projects, this would be Tuomo's 5th project (Save your Mother, Border of Her Heart, Adventures of Dragon are all on Steam plus the 2 Strangers of Power games), which is incredibly inexcusable and only further defines the intent of putting out bad to mediocre quality games on Steam to turn around and make a few bucks.

Although I guess with Steam's QC of having to pay $100 each time to submit a game it isn't that big of a turn around.

28:43. I don't imagine the healer of a group wailing around a Stone or a Bronze Flail like a madman. That sort of weapon should be for a sort of Paladin-y kind of gal, but not a cloth-wearing Cleric, like what's shown in the game. I guess that would just be me being incredibly nitpicky though.

Slavia definitely kind of seems broken, or at the very least, overpowered, with the ability to take multiple actions in a turn. And that's an innate passive and not an ability that you can get from a weapon or an accessory. Definitely seems busted.

The quest window in the corner of the map screen is definitely small and hard to read with that font. My personal opinion, but it should be made to look better by increasing the size of the font. It definitely was hard to read.

44:52. WOW. That was a difficulty spike and a half.

47:21. This is actually a comment to NSG. If I had to guess, it's just the default Cover state, where if ANOTHER party member gets below 25% HP, then the person who has Cover automatically protects them. Still should be more transparent regarding what it does, though.

Still though, another one of those mediocre RPG games whose literal purpose is to be put on Steam for a quick turnaround.

ThiagusTV

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Good afternoon Neo Soul Gamer! I'm Brazilian and I'm creating an English horror game. The name of the game is "The Dog's Laugh". It has a unique style and its actions are decided by options. Could you record a gameplay of my game?

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you for the feedback @Kyuukon and @SimProse ! Much appreciated!

@Arin I appreciate you watching the entire video! The detailed feedback is always welcome.

@ThiagusTV Hello! I typically only make videos for developers who are in the process of making their game. I'll always make exceptions for anyone who believes that I can help improve their game. If not, then I'd recommend taking a look at all the other awesome LPers in the RMWeb forums and reaching out to them. :)

Arin

Tonight...we dine...in-oh a piece of candy!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Fraglspock
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Arin I appreciate you watching the entire video! The detailed feedback is always welcome.
You're welcome! I hope there still isn't any bad blood between us...and if there is I really am sorry.

But regardless, I really do hope the developer, TuomoL, makes enough of a care to take the feedback and use it to better his next project, instead of just using it as an asset flip and attempting to make money off of it.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You're welcome! I hope there still isn't any bad blood between us...and if there is I really am sorry.
Life is too short to keep bad blood. I appreciate the apology. Water under the bridge man! :cutesmile:

In other news, I plan to release a little "Thank You" video. Just found out that I hit 100+ subscribers, which is absolutely shocking to me. I'm quite taken back by the amount of support and comments people have left. I hope to release a couple of First Impressions videos as well.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm a little confused. The hero returns to the land to kill the guy that killed his father. But is surprised there are people on his land? Not sure why his father's killer would still be there after all those years. The random battles are too easy. They are only doing 2 damage. 34:04 He did say the herbs grow all over the land at 12:20.

Sauteed_Onion

Mmm Tasty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, I think it kind of plays out like some one murdered his dad, and bandits just took up residence there and made it there place (the killer is long gone along with the witch). Random pack of bandits with no real attachment to the killer. I think main just went back to kind of reclaim their ancestral flat. Meow. Kind of what I think is going no.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It does say revenge or honor option near the beginning. If he didn't think his father's killer wasn't still there it couldn't be revenge. Same thing with honor option. I'm guessing the main bad guy had his own minions as well. Besides just a witch.

Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks again, @Neo Soul Gamer the video was amazing.
This first act is more like a tutorial, so the battles are quite easy overall, except by the boss. About the bandits, it is more like @Sauteed_Onion said, they found the lands empty and take the place. As Neo Soul Gamer chose Investigate and Kill he didn't see any clues about who they are. If the player chooses to confront, Yori will ask who are they and what they are doing there. This bandits storyline covers the Act 1 and 2 so many things are not explained yet and will only be shown during the Act 2.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why do so many RPG Maker games have storylines that seem like they are ripped strait out of the absolute worst series the anime/manga industry has to offer? :/

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The random battles are too easy. They are only doing 2 damage. 34:04 He did say the herbs grow all over the land at 12:20.
I believe random battles should be easy early in the game. It allows you to figure out how to approach battles strategically while getting a feel for the mechanics.

As far as the character saying that herbs grow all over the land, I'm never sure how to take hints like these when they're delivered in such a way. I've played a lot of RPGs, and there are several observations that are made by the character that have no real effect on gameplay. This is why I feel that something extra should be done. I feel that a small cutscene of a herb being picked up in the wild would be good to have. It's quite easy to mistake those herbs for being just a regular part of the map.

If the player chooses to confront, Yori will ask who are they and what they are doing there. This bandits storyline covers the Act 1 and 2 so many things are not explained yet and will only be shown during the Act 2.
This is what kinda threw me off, honestly. I assumed that I would find out more through investigation than confrontation. The bandits are obviously going to kill on-sight. So a confrontation really shouldn't reveal much. However, by definition, an investigation should probably reveal a lot more than some banter about their killings. That's just my opinion though.

Why do so many RPG Maker games have storylines that seem like they are ripped strait out of the absolute worst series the anime/manga industry has to offer? :/
This day and age... It's not only RPG Maker games that have this issue. lol. Which is why I don't mind tropes and cliches. Even AAA games have their moments. My concern is more with the delivery of the story being told.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's been a while, but I'm back with a new video! This game was pretty hard to critique considering how polished it was. Details are all in the description.

rpgdreamer

His Royal Highness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello!

I'm hoping to get some feedback on our demo we've released. We're trying to test out game mechanics and hoping to see is the story is interesting enough to make a whole game for. It's actually a stand alone story that is a supplement to the main story... hence the demo's name, Shoutai: Chaos Theory.

You can find it here!

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Kato-A

Artist and developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello again!, could you try my game?
It's really short! Download it Here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Will probably never use MZ. Buys it anyway
Been playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope, the remastered version on PS4. I like it. Seems others think it's garbage, but I like these cutesy, silly, and tropey characters. Having waaaay more fun with it than SO: Integrity and Faithlessness.
In other news, my new computer is now ordered, and I'll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week! CAN'T WAIT!!!
I've said my cat's names in such a baby-talk manner over the years, Biggs is now Biggoro, Bella is now Bellllyyaah, and somehow.....somehow Tessa is Sessashan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr