Nesos - Castle of Promises

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by lamont3z, Jun 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. lamont3z

lamont3z Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Hello everyone,

This is my game submission for the 2014 Indie Game Maker Contest. It would be great if I could get some feedback on my game (negative or positive) anything would help. So if you're bored with nothing new to play check this out! :)

Also, if you do like it, don't forget hit that like button & share it with your friends!!

Thank you.

Game contest submission:

http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/222#.U69PhJRdWSo

Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/nesosrpg

Direct Download Link:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw5VRbejZmRkZHZzTmZKbzB6cXc&usp=sharing

Screenshots:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Game Synopsis:

Nesos - Castle of Promises is about a old hermit who one day visits a strange world. He comes across a girl during his daily routine. Having no human interaction in years he his intrigued by her sudden appearance and follows her through a strange hole in the base of a tree...

Lore:

Old Hermit:

He has lived with his father/master his whole life. Doesn't truely know his mother because she died giving birth to him. His father, being a hermit himself, raised the boy to succeed him. Cut off from civilization at a very young age, the boy mainly made friends with wild animals. Since getting visitors to a shack deep in a forest is close to impossible, the boy often got lonely. Years past and his father taught him how to commune better with nature. At the age sixteen, his father started teaching him Magic Sword style fighting. It was an tradition handed down from generation to generation. Years passed and the boy grew into a man watching over the forest he calls a home. His father got older and eventually passed away leaving the son all alone in the forest. Before the father passed he told his son, "There is an ancient treasure deep within this forest. One day, it will seek you out. Then and only then will your true calling in life reveal itself."

King Montasir IV:

Risen to power through the ranks of the military, Erving Montasir IV was loved by all he encountered. Voted as the people's king after winning the fifth war and gaining his home kingdom's freedom. Montasir quickly became a beloved hero and his name was echoed across the land. Married to the most beautiful woman of his kingdom Montasir gained his first daughter, but at a heavy cost. His beloved wife died giving birth. It took him years to get over her but with his daughter by his side he was able to find love again and re-marry. Misfortune continued to follow the great king when his second wife poisoned his pillows. Montasir IV promptly died in his sleep. Traumatized, his daughter lost her ability to speak. With no one brave enough to call out the evil wife, and the daughter still under age. The wife quickly rose to power over the kingdom plunging it into chaos and poverty.

Beatrice & Dent:

Beatrice & Dent are siblings, their parents were one of the few wealthiest merchants in the kingdom. After the death of king Montasir IV the kingdom quickly went into chaos and poverty under the control of the new queen. In the chaos their home was robbed by bandits, their parents were killed in the robbery. Witnessing her parents death Beatrice swore to avenge her fallen parents and cleanse the kingdom of this madness. Dent was too young to remember his parents death but followed his older sister blindly. As they grew up, they joined the military and progressed through the ranks. Beatrice rose faster due to her heart being fueled by hate.

When the game takes place:

The game starts 10 years after the Old Hermit's father passes away. He is still awaiting the treasure of the forest to contact him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
  2. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi there, lamont3z,

Not sure why you created two threads asking for feedback (I didn't know this one existed), but just thought I'd link my previous feedback here to give the game some visibility.

Anyway, congratulations on your game making it through Indrah's livestream  :)

3. lamont3z

lamont3z Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I wasn't getting any replies on this one so I made a new one. I think I'll just delete this now.

I made it where? When? o_O

4. Alkorri

First Language:
    English
    Lamont3z, I highly recommend you don't delete this thread. Your other one entitled 'Would love some honest feedback' has such a generic title that it makes it hard for people to even find your game.

Besides, Indrah just did a livestream of several people's games this morning, including yours. If you remove this thread with your game name, she might have trouble finding your game to post her video playthrough.

5. G119

G119 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello again lamont3z, I've found your topic here and thought I'd repost my comment from the contest page! :D

"I finished your game. I liked the story for the most part. I would've liked it more if there were some more background on the characters especially the main antagonist. I only encountered one bug through my 36min play-through. I only have one gripe, nix the random curse words and just end the scene. Good game all-in-all maybe you should continue the story? As it kind of felt incomplete."

Here is my pro/con list of opinions, don't take it as fact.

Pro:

- I thought the mapping was good.

- The story was good, I liked the sense of urgency.

Con:

- Some parts such as the castle that were a bit bland and repetitive id est the hallway.

- I would recommend you flesh out the characters a bit more and give some backhistory as to the current situation.

Overall, I enjoyed your game and hope that you continue the story and finish it as well.

lamont3z likes this.
  6. lamont3z

lamont3z Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Oh ok then, I think I'll update this one then. Thank you.

I missed the livestream (obviously) I wish I knew about it before hand. I was looking at her page on Youtube, it doesn't seem like she posted my game review on there yet but Ima keep checking.

7. Alkorri

First Language:
    English
    At the very least, link people in that other thread to this one, and if you want, ask a mod to lock it if you don't want people posting in two different places.

Edit: If I had known this game thread existed, I would have pasted my feedback here ;) But the other one looked so prominent, I assumed that WAS your game thread.

lamont3z likes this.
  8. lamont3z

lamont3z Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey (again) and thanks again for playing & your feedback!  :D

9. lamont3z

lamont3z Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    How do I do that? Lol

10. Alkorri

First Language:
    English
    @Lamont3z - Sent you a PM.

lamont3z likes this.
  11. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    hora hora was gonna get to this today but decided to watch anime instead :3

after i finish the rest of it tomorro ill play this :3

the only character i want/need in ma party is beatrix shes op! : D

but ill take the maid and the girl next to her as servants :3

Edit-fixed the spelling for maid :3

how shameful : (

12. lamont3z

lamont3z Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Lol! Beatrice is pretty op, but wanna know a little secret?

elbataeb s'ehS     ;)

13. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    :3 reminds me of one of the 20 things i hate in rpgs

when you face a op boss/character

they join you

and they were nerfed hard!

its like they sign a contract

ill fight with you,but...i wont fight seriously even if it kills me :3

lamont3z likes this.
  14. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So where's the live stream vid? :'D Why would she live stream it where no one watches instead of posting the video?

15. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

+Overall the cheeky, lighthearted tone is something I enjoy.

+Some of the jokes work well (and some don’t, but still).

+CAT IN A TOP HAT.

+Mapping, while not great, is good enough for an “early” game (I’m assuming).

+I never failed to escape. A good thing, because I skipped fights a lot.

+It was sorta funny how he tried to use his old skills but fails. Neat little excuse.

+Nice use of behavior poses.

-I understand hermits are hermits by CHOICE, so him being desperate about company feels a bit off.

-The whole joke about him being a creep isn’t that amusing and is repeated too often.

-The plot lost me at “entering a tree made me young again”.

-So…the dude falls for Poon Tang because she’s…female. And the girl falls for him because…?

-Mapping is set in a very aimless structure, with it basically being long corridors to force some encounters and nothing else.

-No skill variety, battles are boring.

-(Minor) Why can’t I rename the other chars If I can name the rogue? ;-;

To the developer: I’m going to guess (no offence meant) that this is an early-ish attempt at game making, and with that in mind this game isn’t bad! Oh, it has a lot of shortcomings and rough edges and parts where it falls flat, but I had fun and it kept me entertained enough that I wasn’t desperate to turn it off, which is good.

Some jokes worked and some didn’t, most of the plot was ridiculous and forced, but the interaction and the savior that is Mr Boaps gave enough fun to last me half an hour, no mean feat (when I have a 100 games to play).

The game isn’t perfect, there’s a ton of stuff that needs improvement, but you already have some entertainment in there, which is what so many other “early” projects lack: a REASON for me to want to keep playing.

So good job. It’s not a great game, but it was entertaining while it lasted.

lamont3z likes this.
  16. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Random thoughts
    ok so i named my character Senior
    No! why!? i feel trolled but that was a interesting plot idea :3
    wheres the explanation as to how and why i have a sword? should be a cane lol...
    o wow that old man must of been a serious badass! : D
    unless he forgot his native language after he saves her it should be might not mind :3
    ahh the mute girl was mistreated! i knew it! : (
    its Mr Meow!
    Boaps-"those peasents are have more dignity then you ever will" <remove are and i think peasants is spelled wrong
    Boaps-in sewer apart>a part
    Frick yeah! i knew that maid was dependable! free supplies ftw!
    always bothered with the AGI and LUK stat as i never know what each do exactly
    the length of the sewer with random battles was a little frustrating
    You know those moments where you feel the real adventure is starting is about to start and it ends?im feeling that now : (
    //
    //
    Ok so there were few grammar errors,hard to say much about the story since we didn't get much of it.
    would of liked to leave that guy in the cell and take the maid instead.
    the usual flaw of having a veteran warrior who mastered something be at lvl 1 starting.
    the secret items were a nice touch.
    having a plot use for Mr meow was nice

Overall id recommend people w8 until the games finished to to play
    as the plot in this case is the main thing here
    yet its not finished so currently the games bad.

at this point my only question would probably be
    what was the inspiration for the title? at this point it seems irrelevant to anything going on in the game.

//

//

Pn @Indrah thank you for sharing a video,i wasn't going to do it myself for this one.

-i so agree with escape not failing. that's one of the 20 things i cant stand in rpg games where you run from a regular enemy and it fails.this should pretty much never happen unless theres a plot reason.

-magic good sir/mam there's a talking freaking cat!don't need explanation lol

-she fell for him because he is a good guy(rather obvious especially just from her life being saved,shes not treated well where she lives)

-battles weren't boring :3 and of course you don't have many skills until you lvl up :3(this was good actually i don't like games where characters have alot of skills)

hora hora,have  good day

lamont3z likes this.
  17. lamont3z

lamont3z Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Lmao, right! I hate that! If you're gonna let an op character fight for me, KEEP HIM/HER OP!

shayoko likes this.
  18. lamont3z

lamont3z Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    First off, thank you very much for trying out my project and making this awesome review for it which I thought was very funny. :)

Yes this is my first project that I've released and it was very rushed because of time limitations, but I like what I was able to produce within that short amount of time.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it! :) 30mins is good enough for me! I'm taking your critique seriously and WILL lower that encounter rate and try to find some ways to make the combat more engaging. Lol

The story is very crazy and ridiculous, just how I like it! There's tons of story that I cut out, so sequel to this will definitely have a much clearer plot. (MOAR SHINE FOR THE GREAT MR. BOAPS!!!)

Other than that, thank you for playing I really enjoyed your video. :)

PS - Soap, Boap, Soaps, Boaps!   Mr. Boaps!   (nothing to do with how his name was created just how to pronounce it correctly, no-offense)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
  19. lamont3z

lamont3z Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Yeah I know the grammar is crazy, I just tried to make sure that what they were saying was understandable to say the least.

I'm glad I'm getting good feedback for Mr. Boaps! Honestly he's my favorite character, I put extra work into making sure he was a fan favorite.

The entire story for this game is way too long to squeeze into an hour long game, so this title would be part 1. I tried to give enough info so

that players would understand what was going on (I should have added more, I see that now).

Nesos is the world he crossed over to once he stepped through that hole (Yep, very unclear). Castle of Promises, is where the main action took

place and throughout the story you can see various characters making promises about various things. Honestly I had a hard time thinking up a

title for this project. I wanted something that sounded good, but also made sense.

And always, thanks for the feedback! :)