Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

By: Ixfuru
Current Version: 0.84
Last Update: 11/17/2019
Original Post: 11/25/2016
Start of Creation: 2000 (TableTop), 2012 (Coded)
Current PlayTime: 15-100 hours

VIDEO PREVIEW OF THE LATEST VERSION

GAME SYNOPSIS

NetherQuest (NQ) is a medieval dystopian RPG set on a single-continent planet. The game centers on a group of strangers who are pulled from their lives and mysteriously placed on a deserted beach. As they travel, they find that they are part of a larger, divine plan to save the inhabitants of the world from extinction. The Gray World is under three threats in its current state. Monsters and evil beings have surfaced in recent years and have spread throughout the continent, making travel an endeavor few will undertake. A disease, known only as the sickness is being passed from one civilian to the next with no insight into its cause or cure. Finally, with the recent, well-loved emperor's death (presumably from the same disease), the heir to his throne has taken an authoritarian approach, and his strong-armed tactics and ruthless approach leaves the world on the verge of a second continental war.

HISTORICAL PERSONAL SIGNIFICANCE:

NQ is a game that was originally taken from a paper and pencil table-top version that a friend and I created long ago (in about 2000). The transition from table-top to coded, playable computer game has been a major undertaking. The goal was to create it as close to its roots as possible, and RPGMaker was ill-equipped for this procedure. Therefore, it has taken literally tens of thousands of lines of code to recreate it.

FEATURES:

BATTLE SYSTEM:

The most unique thing about NQ is the battle system. I've hand-coded it with no regard to RPGMakerVX default scripts. It's literally one-of-a-kind. Battles take place on a 'board' of sorts. In tactical fashion, players and the AI takes their turns. However, unlike most tactical battle systems, NQ's is more of a chess match, during which a player may move any character he/she wishes to in any order. That means that if you want to rush through a battle, there's nothing stopping you from bringing out the juiced-up wizard and demolishing the foes quickly! The downside, of course, is that the juiced-up wizard gets all the experience.

NPC SYSTEM:

Every NPC character in NQ has his/her own scene. There are no insignificant roamers. The construction of the system is created so that nearly every character has some sort of new information or dialogue. Also, the NPC system allows for things like gift exchanges, pickpocketing, reading of minds, and even the ability to injure or heal the entity. The most unique thing about NQ's NPC System is that it does not point you along in linear fashion like most RPGs. There is no goal-setters or precreated journal entries. In NQ, the journal system is completely up to the player. Every piece of dialogue can be stored and referenced later. What you record, take interest in, and decide is important, is entirely up to you.

ATLAS SYSTEM:

The Atlas System is sort of like Skyrim's, in that it places landmarks on the atlas when the player has found them. It also allows fast travel (if the player has wings, that is!) and allows the player to set location goals on his/her own.

LEVELING SYSTEM:

NQ's Leveling System is similar to the approach of other point-driven systems. The player can use the points he/she earns upon leveling up to distribute where he/she sees fit. In addition, spells and skills are not earned automatically. The player must level up his/her SKX or SPX, respectively. These are sort of like extra experience values. Only when the Spell or Skill Level of the player raises are they permitted to attain higher level spells and skills upon normal experience level-ups.

OTHER NOTABLE SYSTEMS:

Fortune Tellers, Party Add/Drop Points, Gambling, Unique Shop System, Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Innkeepers, Books, Fishing, Swimming, Individual inventories, a massive Equipment System, and so very much more.

WORLD

The world of Netherquest is divided into 17 nations. 15 of which are inhabited. There are over 30 villages, towns, and cities. Each town has a chief, and the nations have twice fallen under the rule of a single government (as it is now).

There are three race-based factions in the world, they are as follows:

The Fole:

Fole people are made up mainly of crafty dwarves and elves. The Fole were the first people to rule the entire continent. Since losing this control at the hand of the Gray, Fole people have been oppressed by the governing emperor. Once strong throughout the land, they have now been pushed toward the northern nations and have few prosperous settlements to speak of.

The Gray:

The Gray, under the guidance of the great emperor Supheus and his Regime, took control over the continent from the Fole. Since the great emperor's passing, they have turned militaristic and have subsequently set up fortresses and checkpoints throughout the continent.

The Vanian:

The Vanian people have never resorted to world conquest attempts. Instead, they reside in the southern region of the continent, content on 'ruling' that which has been theirs for generations. They are led by a strong queen, Vina, mother of Ixesperus. The majority of their population resides within the confines of the Palace of Van with the royal family.

CHARACTERS

SUPHEUS:

Supheus was the Gray emperor who ruled following the Revolution. He was a scholar and statesman and established a democratic continent which was supposed to last long into the future. His death, they say, came at the hands of the sickness.

LASSIAN:

Lassian was Supheus' greatest general during the Revolution. He led a massive army into the north to take down the former king of the Fole, Harn. Following Supheus' death, the general took the reigns of the continent and replaced the democracy of Supheus with a war-hungry, and impatient-fisted approach, stockpiling weapons and establishing a headed-for-war new Regime.

IXESPERUS:

Ixesperus is the princess of the Van. She is the daughter to the late king, Kruff, and his wife, and reigning queen, Vina. Ixesperus is a spirited young lady with a vengeful eye. She has emerged recently from the palace and has been spotted throughout the heartland, in search of magical items. However, no one seems to know why she is on her mission.

RETHRICK:

Rethrick is the old cleric who lives a secluded life. He is perhaps the greatest healer on the continent and is said to take orders and bear messages from the god, Makarai, himself.

DUFUTA:

Dufuta is a mysterious, often-called-mythical, mage who resides in the far north in an ancient tomb, beneath a petrified tree. Tales of his magical prowess stretch across the borders of all 17 nations. He is considered hostile and aligned with the Fole.

NERU:

Neru was a Gray adventurer. He was born in a tiny village called Gren and was raised by his grandmother. In his teenage years, he began making carpets, claiming that he could fly upon them. In his 20s, he set out on an adventure to every corner of the continent. He disappeared shortly after he ventured into the frozen Smime mountains and was presumed eaten by a Polar Wolf.

GETTIUS:

Gettius is a commoner from the town of Pesserak. He is thought to have survived a minion invasion there and currently in-hiding beneath the town square.

MAY:

May is a fortune teller from the town of Gren who claims to be able to speak to the dead. She is a joyful character and has a speaking impediment, but rumors insist her claims could be true.

DRIGDRUVERE:

Drigdruvere is a Gray Medician. His abilities with alchemy are known far and wide. However, Drigdruvere, is a loathsome fellow with little patience for the ongoings of the commoners he has been sent to assist.

Vina is the Queen of the Southland. She is the mother of Ixesperus and wife of the late king, Kruff. Vina is a wise ruler, who lives by Kruff's code of neutrality and peace, but controls a strong, female army.

Mudg is a Fole-born lad from West Cruces and magical protege who was banned from the Mage School in the east of the city.

Moyziun is a the head of the mage school in Cruces. He is an eccentric man whose brain is often cluddered with brilliant thoughts, even if his voice can hardly keep up with relaying such thoughts aloud.

SCREENSHOTS

Version 0.84 (11/17/2019)
A batch of Fort Dunn Gray Soldier graduates

Challenging the Turlinian Archer at her own game

A warning from Morvun, resident of the Illian Cavern

Deep underground, where the streams are toxic

Courtigal, the eagle mage, defends her cellar

A Fole man named Crut has been watching you!

Leaving the peace of Bosaly village

The Southern Princess explains her sorrow

A Gray General in Ft. Dunn describes his sentiment toward the Fole

Rethrick, the holy man from the Waterfall, prays for Makarai's guidance

A visit to Drigdruvere's twisted research lab

Checking out the states of party members from the Character scene

Dufuta gives a gift and an invitation

Version 0.83b (11/23/2017)
Battle Bonus Chains Popup (Implemented V0.83b)

Character Creation Effects Window
Implemented because of Feedback on the Forum! (V0.83b)

Smithing (V0.83b)

Shopping in the City of Cruces (V0.83)

Random House with baby

Group Attack cuts through party Members

Quick call windows opened

Smithedons and Banshees

A ghostly conversation

Ascending the Tower in Pesserak

Enemy Info Sheet called from the Battle Scene

Conversing with a loyal Gray subject

DEMO

CREDITS

There's a lot of them!

CONCEPT AND STRATEGY:

James W. Runyon
Chris Jones

TABLE TOP COMPETITORS:

James W. Runyon - Ryche
Chris Jones - Loki
Jennifer Runyon - Jen
Shannon Jones - Mystique
Chris Moore - Slick50
Johnny Nelson - Drake Sego
Rachel Rollins - Krysla
Jason Clement -
Billy Shipley -
Brandon Shipley -
James Runyon II - Lee
Ian Runyon - Harry
Josh Smith -
Eric Oliver -
Ashley Effler -
Joey Perfetti -

TABLE TOP CREATIONS:

James W. Runyon
Chris Jones
Jennifer Runyon
Ian Runyon
James Runyon II

PROGRAMMERS:

Enterbrain
Ixfuru (James W. Runyon)
???noBoDy???
Jet
Modern Algebra
Mithran

MUSIC AND SOUND EFFECTS:

Enterbrain
J-Run
Aaron Krogh
Priya
Gyro
Leda
Kenney.nl

ARTISTS:

Enterbrain
Celianna
Ayene
Ixfuru
Damien666
Avadan
apoc
Aweryn
Rin
SDarius
Yoshi
DoctorTodd
Heisenman
Kalez1992
LordBlufkin
LovelyBlue
Mr. Monkey
NeonDelight
Sabeomega
Aarowaim
DiscoJapones
Kii
Omegas
OriginalWij
Liberty
Algunos
Antares
Bernard Argonar
birdzilla
Blackstar Wolf
Boku to Atachi-Teikoku
buddha
bulls
ComingOfAgeDay
Deebs
Donnie
ezaxxes
FenixFyre
Giba
GrandmaDeb
InfiniteX
Kaduki
Johnny0798
Kail200X
Kazzador
Kyriaki
LoMatsul
LordBagardo
MintChocolateTree
NatashiaWolf
nyo
Painhurt
Qtpi0121
Ryzor
Shiro
Soma
Sourve
StrawberryCat
Thiago
Vancielle
XD465
zachy
Zacpower4
Zakkie
Venere
Zephyrskye
DarkHorseman
AlexAnime
Dog05
eDeus
Jalen
JamesWhite89
Kyushu
Monope
OokiePanda
PentagonBuddy
Quackadoos
Rajiwali
Roomate
RPGLover
Shadow97
Sketcy-Sketch
Thalzon
Mack
Closet
DefilledCore
BlakeEzra
Mr. Bubble

SCRIPTING LESSONS:

ModernAlgebra
BigEd
HungrySnake
???noBoDy???
MakoInfused
GubiD
cozziekuns
DarkFalcao

TOOLS:

OmegaIconViewer
Damien666 CharCreator
Jet Sprite Tools
BulletXT TileSwapper
Aindra's Windowskin Generator
Gimp
Cooltext.com
Game Character Hub

INSPIRATION:

Square Enix
Dungeons&Dragons
Bethesda
ForgottenRealms

GENERAL USAGE:

Dell
Toshiba
Asus
Microsoft
Marlboro
Folgers

PLAYTESTING:

James W. Runyon
James Runyon II
Ian Runyon
Elva Ray Runyon
Aaron Runyon
???noBoDy???
BizarreMonkey

TECHNICAL SUPPORT:

RpgMakerVX.net
RMRK.net
Ruby
GameCharacterHub
Camtasia

UPDATE LOG

11/17/19 --version 0.84--

-Battle Sim -- New Secondary Battle System which quickly simulates random encounters
-Auto Mindsort -- Removes topics when questioning an NPC, when they have no information regarding the topic (automatically)
-Questbook -- Tracks and displays information about Quests
-Vault Scene Actor Change -- ability to switch actors without backing out of the scene (< and >)
-Color-coded FastText PopUp -- different types of information appears in the fasttext popup afront colors for the given type
-NPC Scene Actor Change -- ability to switch actors without backing out of the scene (A and D)
-Journal Topic Muting -- from journal scene, topics can now be muted to remove them from consideration when questioning NPCs
-Minion Flee -- overpowered minions have a chance at fleeing from the party before encounter
-Voice -- voice notifications during certain moments of the game (successful skill use, critical hits, etc.)
-Completion of Ft. Dunn -- The entire map, NPCs, objects, and scenes of the Gray Regime's Northwestern fort is complete!
-Party Political Alignment System -- Party now has a rating with each of the three Gray World Races (shown on menu) that effects aspects of the game
-Flashing Active Combatant in Battlefield -- the battlers that are moving now flash in battlefield (still some bugs)
-New Options from Quick Menu -- (BattleSim, Mapmarks (in progress), Quickheal)
-Hidden, Randomly-Generated Playable Characters from each nation!
-New Nation notifications when passing between territories!

11/23/2017 --version 0.83b--

-Implemented character creation info window, describing bonuses given for each character trait taken. (See Screenshots)

-Finished the dungeon, Mount Orion. However, Battlezones are still not completely functional.

-Smithing system has been implemented.

-Fort Dunn map has been completed. However, all NPCs at Fort Dunn are not complete.

-Implemented a new Battle System Feature that pops up any bonuses an actor has upon attacking.

-Identify System is now fully functional

-Added a party stat and parameter sorting scene from the menu (in the 'Score' tab).

-Fixed glitches in the weight scene

-Worked to reduce lag when digging (still not completey right!)

-Fixed an abbundance of minor type-o mistakes in text and NPC conversations.

-Fixed minor glitches to numerous to count or display

1/28/2017 --version 0.81--

-outworld nation of Nor completed

-city of Cruces completed

-addition of 52 new NPCs

-Tunnel of Moor dungeon complete

-Smithing system started

-New Gambling game, 'War'

-brought enemy count to 104

-fixed major glitch with the item identify system, still not 100%

-reworked some of the early maps, including first dungeon's interior and connected battlefield

-started work on the secondary battle system, the BattleZone

-fixed many little minor coding bugs

-started the process of replacing the faces and graphics of the main characters of the story (will be a while on this)

12/4/2016 --version 0.79

Updated to Version 0.81

-permanently fixed the problem with saving game files. This problem occurred because I had a new folder created to save the files in. During the build process, the folder was being ignored completely because there were no files in it. Thus, I posted about the fix of making a folder in the root directory to fix it. However, in Version 0.81, there will be no need for such a thing, as I have re-programmed the game to search only in the root folder for saves. This should be the permanent fix. Unfortunately, those of you who downloaded Version 0.79, will need to uninstall that one and pick up this, because the fix is in the encrypted scripting part of the download.

-The 34 maps of the nation of Nor's overworld have been completely designed and set up to allow transfers between them. However, right now, there isn't much to do on the maps, besides climbing a mountain here and there.

-Fixed some graphical issues I found

-Added new armors and weapons

-Created two new monsters, (Tauros and Roda Flynn)

First Update to rpgmakerweb, is version 0.79.

WHAT'S TO COME

With 0.84 releasing, we will now return to work on the Battlezone system (which is currently about 50% finished). We will also
be looking to further improve the speed of the game by making an auto-record option on the NPC scene which will automatically record all topics that the NPC knows about. Other work includes, continuing to work on and improve the political system, the trades system, the Obscure playable class (about 25% complete), and little touch-ups like improving the item preview window.

KNOWN GLITCHES/BUGS

The one that's really aggravating is the glitch in the battle scene when the spell called 'Blood To Stone' is used. What happens is, the spell is supposed to turn the character to stone for a given number of rounds, and it just has not been cooperating.

I'm always open to criticism if it is used to assist my game creating. One of my biggest problems is I try to develop complex and robust games, being unhappy if my menu system for instance, looks like someone else's. If you find something that may be beneficial to us as creators, definitely tell us.

Last edited:

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Are you absolutely sure you want all your content in nested spoilers? It's a bit hard to process like that.

Ixfuru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
No taarna23, I don't.  I noticed that yesterday and I don't know what I did wrong with it.  I noticed my other game was the same way toward the end.  I haven't posted on here often, so I was going off what I knew about spoilers from past forums.  I know some have specific tags.  The only problem is, that once it's posted, the images and tags are gone when editing.  Is there a way to make that come back up?

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Ixfuru I'm note sure I follow what you mean - I've never seen images/tags disappear while editing.

Post looks good, but for one exception - blue and red text are for moderation use, so you'll need to change the blue text.

Ixfuru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Done!

I should clarify.  In some forums, the images don't appear while editing, rather it reverts back to the text form of the BBCode.  Still not sure how that happened.  I see now that in this forum, you don't have to manually type anything to get the Spoiler to show up.  Guess that's what I was doing wrong.  I was trying to open and close them through text.

Clangeddin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
You've overdone it with the customizations and what's worse is that there is little to no explanation about what does what. Choosing Race or Home Location has any impact? Is there any reason to make less than 8 characters? Even the normal dialogues are so cumbersome it feels like a chore just talking to people.

Dulcis in Fundo, I couldn't even figure out how to save, the File submenu wouldn't let me save, so I suppose I had to reach a certain place or I clearly missed something.

I hit "game over" twice.

1) When I went over options and choose a background window that was missing (Game crash, had to restart).

2) I examined a fireplace and died instantly.

In both cases I had to redo character creation and my patience is not what it used to be, so I dropped it after that, I didn't even get into a single battle.

I suggest more transparency of in-game mechanics and choices BEFORE creation, an instant-save opportunity right after character creation and maybe not making fireplaces one shot you...

Ixfuru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks for playing, Clangeddin!  I realize the game isn't for everyone and I tried to make it as close to the old table-top version as possible which meant that I had to completely overhaul the system in many aspects.  This includes the 'Game_Actor' file, which is completely removed aside from the initial setup. For this reason, it definitely doesn't stay close to normal RPGMaker game style.  I'll try to clarify things based on what you stated in your comment:

You've overdone it with the customizations and what's worse is that there is little to no explanation about what does what.
Well, the initial character setup is kind of a deep system.  You can press 'S' whenever your on a topic and it will bring up any information for the selection where it is available.  This probably isn't enough, I'm sure.  There was a time when I had a tutorial scene at each new scene of the game (including the party creation scene), but folks told me it was annoying, so I commented out all the scripts so they wouldn't appear anymore.  If you try the 'S' deal and it still isn't enough, maybe you could let me know what kind of info you need in the character setup scene.  Do you need exact parameter changes?  Maybe I could make a little box appear beside the selectables, stating subsequent bonuses and such.

Choosing Race or Home Location has any impact? Is there any reason to make less than 8 characters?
Yes.  Race has an impact on starting parameters.  For instance, Fole are more agile and crafty.  Vanian people are from royal lineage, therefore have more alignment to magic and casting.  And the Gray are militaristic, having bonuses to strength and such.  These bonuses go hand-in-hand with the class selection, which have certain bonuses too.

In addition to having an impact on the parameters, the choices of race, class, and home, also play a role in your communication with the NPCs.  For instance, speaking with, asking for gifts from, and trading with a Thief class NPC while playing as a thief can be more rewarding.  To see this for yourself, go into the house where the one-armed man lives in the first town and gift request.  If you have a barbarian, he will give you a gift.  Also, some of the townsfolk in Koza (like Solomun) will give you something if you are from Koza.

The amount of characters you create is up to you.  If you create a lot of characters, you will normally have more of spreading out the experience in battles and garnering gold to get everyone appropriately equipped.  However, with a wide variety in class, home, and race, will give you an advantage of having the 'right guy/gal for the job' when it comes time to perform skills like opening doors, climbing mountains, crossing jump holes, etc.  If you only create a few characters, you're gonna be at a disadvantage in that regard.  But, it will be much easier to maintain the characters' equipment, gold, etc.  The amount of characters has an impact therefore, on difficulty.  Even if you create 8 characters and none of them wield magic, you may find battles tough until you get some income to buy some scrolls and such.

Even the normal dialogues are so cumbersome it feels like a chore just talking to people.
Here again, the NPC and dialogue system is one of the deepest aspects of the game.  During table-top play, any player could ask about anything to any NPC.  They could also injure them, heal them, request things from them, read their minds, or give them gifts.  So, I had to give each of the NPCs the ability to answer all these questions.  There is a scroll called 'MindSort'.  If you use this on NPCS (those that are not immune to it), it will remove some of the topics for which they know nothing about.  As the creator, I find this aspect of the game one of the most rewarding, as there are no roaming repetitive idiots in NetherQuest.  All of them (except for a maid in Clark) will help you, give you stuff, or have something cool to pickpocket.  You can also record ANYTHING they say to your journal.  This is because in the table-top game, it was up to the player to create a diary of the things they found interesting.  Press the S button, I believe, and it will record the information an NPC is saying.  Sorry if this feels a cumbersome.  I guess it is what it is in that regard.  

1) When I went over options and choose a background window that was missing (Game crash, had to restart).
Do you recall which window it was.  I can remove the option or assure there is a window in the files to match the option.  I've been thinking of doing away with the window option completely.  Just wanted the player to be able to give the game a look that he/she desires.  What do you think about killing the idea in its entirety?

2) I examined a fireplace and died instantly.
Haha.  Sorry.  That was funny.  Fire burns folks.  It hurts.  Think I should adjust it so that it doesn't injure all members of the party.  That way, only the guy/gal in front would die.

I suggest more transparency of in-game mechanics
Point taken.  How do you suggest doing this.  I'm currently working on a controls scene.  Perhaps this will help this issue.  Maybe I could just redo the tutorial scene how it was, no matter how irritating it was.  I'll give you a list of on map controls, though:

Z/Enter:  Activation/Talk (hold to sprint)

X: call menu/back 

Shift: calls/hides the HUD

S: Brings up the Quicktool menu.  You can use tools/skills/spells on the map with this when applicable.  If you click on a tool, you can use Shift and Z to equip specific hands with the tool in question.
Q/W: cycles through the party, replacing the leader.

I didn't even get into a single battle.
The first town is a beginner, explore the system kind of thing.  There is a little quest where you have to get into see the chief and have to get him to 'unlock' the ability to enter the cave in the northeast.  To do this, you have to speak to a homeowner in the town, as he unlocks the topic for your discussion with Solomun.  Once you get inside the cave, you can fight.  Once you complete the mission, it opens up a lot and you can battle whenever you want to.

I couldn't even figure out how to save,
This one is puzzling me.  I've never had that problem before.  I'll look into it.  You use the File option from the menu, then select a spot (with Space/Z), then confirm.  Should work. Look in the 'Saves' folder.  Is there anything in there?  Is there even a 'Saves' folder?  I've heard of empty folders not being placed in the build when you compress the game data, but I usually put a dummy txt file in there to assure it gets included.  If you could check on that for me, I'd appreciate it.

I really appreciate your efforts, Clangeddin.  A game only has a life when it's played.  I'm gonna keep on creating it, just as I have over the past 4 years.  As the process goes, I'm sure there will be more items that pop-up where a table-top to computer game transition don't go over well.  It's difficult trying to balance staying true to the original form and making something that folks will enjoy playing.  As the maker of NetherQuest, I know that it's my job to look out for the gamer.  Thanks for your insight and feedback.

****EDIT****
By the way, Clangeddin, if there is no 'Saves' folder, you can create one yourself in the game's root folder.  If you do, this should allow saving.  And again, let me know, so I can rebuild and make it right, plus alert new players of the issue.  Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The game reminds me a bit about the early wizardry games (Keep in mind I haven´t actually played your game yet, just read the thread). But yeah, some clarifications about the game mechanics would be great.  

Ixfuru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'll try and see if I can dig up  the manual PDF I was working on and I'll redo the OP with some information about controls and such.  For now, you can find some control info in the 'NQ' scene of the menu, or in the reply I made to Clangeddin.  I never played the wizardry games. Will have to check them out.  By Game Mechanics, are you just talking about the controls?  Or do you want something else.  Like 'how the game is played'?

Ixfuru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
NetherQuest has been updated to version 0.82!!!

This adds another possible 5-10 hours of gameplay.  The nation of Nor is complete, as well as a new dungeon, The Tunnel of Moor, and a new city, Cruces.

Most exciting is the fact that we've started on several new systems, including Smithing, Cave-ins, and the secondary battle system, BattleZones!

If you have 0.79 or later, you should be able to get the download and then just slide your save file into the root folder to begin play where you left off.  There should be no issues with the save data!  Here's a few screenies from Nor:

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Two battle systems, character customization, 50+ hours of play... It sounds like you've made
the beginner's blunder. "I'm going to make the best game ever- all by myself!" That's not to belittle you- you can do it if you put in the effort- but to ask whether a smaller project wouldn't be best. (You did mention another game...)

Ixfuru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well Tigersong, I appreciate your feedback, sir. I don't consider this game a blunder in any way. I've been steadily working on it for years. I also have some help since I brought into the small business my family and I have created. This is not my first project in Rpgmaker. There are several others, including the completed, Room of a Thousand Years.

That said, I understand your point about it being a large project. But the truth is, this story has been in my mind for 17 years in one form or another. I share it because I want others to enjoy it, not because I need their approval for it. After all, even if no one else liked it, I would continue to create it. This game, much like the music I write and the stories I write, come from my heart and I just create following that core inspiration.

I hope that I've not said anything wrong there. I just wanted to clarify a few things. The fact is, NetherQuest is the greatest story I've ever written and that, (and the thirteen notebooks waiting to be turned into the playable world), is what drives me on.

If by my other game, you are talking about World Circuit Boxing, it's completed and you can find it in the Commercial section. Again I appreciate the time you've taken to at least look over our post, and I wish you nothing but success on any projects you may have in the works.

Ixfuru

ydoolb

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Longtime lurker here)

Well, this game requies patience, but you all will be rewarded. It's no jprg by any means - it's oldschool western style rpg akin to ultima series or older games from elder scrolls series. You have great party creation (remeber old goldbox dnd days where you can spend a day or two only to just try generate better characters), unique conversation system (to rpgmaker games at least, it's conversation system with keywords using), custom battle sysytem, big world etc. Yes, it heavy to understand everything mechanic-wise from start, but it's always like that with system heavy games - try X-com, Jagged Alliance or Wizardry for the first time and you know what i mean)

Only really negative point i can think of - it's lack of manual.

I'm advising everybody at least try this game if you want something trully original.

Ixfuru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you ydoolb!!! :)

Most folks that come to these sites are looking for the JRPG thing, with the pre-named actors and linear story. I get it. I love those kind of games too. I have been playing White Knight Chronicles lately, and I love it. Plus, Xenoblade and Infinite Undiscovery are two of my favorite games of all time. So I understand that a lot of folks may not like what NetherQuest has to offer. The truth is that I love NetherQuest and I'm basically obsessed with creating it. Have been for years now. :D.

I tried to make it as deeply customizable as I could, because I love games that are like that. Also, I didn't want to make a game that looked like and played like every other RPG Maker game. I wanted it to be unique, and that's why I took so long creating the hundreds of windows and dozens of new scenes.

I really appreciate your kind words about NetherQuest. It means a lot to me. And I'm glad you can appreciate the depth of the conversation/dialog/journal system. It has truly been a chore to create.

Take some screenshots if you get a chance and I'll make a player's screenshots tab where players can share their experiences.

May you find all the Realm Treasures, Unite the Genesis Stars, and ultimately save the world my friend! :thumbsup-left:

ydoolb

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
This game needs so more exposure. Guys, at least try it!

Ixfuru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks! I would like more folks to play it too. I've found that the complexity of the game turns people away. It doesn't have that fast pace that many are looking for, and there are systems that take a bit of time to learn. It's okay. I completely understand. How far have you gotten?

I'll be getting a new version out soon I hope, just have to finish the first Gray fort prior to release of the next completed nation.

Ixfuru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to show interest in the game! NQ had to take some downtime this year, so I didn't get as far as I'd hoped. However, the latest update, 0.83b, adds some pretty cool features and brings the game play time to about 90 hours for the most thorough of adventurers! Hopefully, we can get back to NQ creating regularly after the first of the year, but this update should hold you over. Thanks again for the feedback, support, and interest.

Ixfuru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hey Guys.

You may have thought that NetherQuest was dead. But it isn't. It's just been a while! That's because we've been busily updating from version 0.83b. The new release, version 0.84, has been 2 years in the making. And we've tried our best to improve the gameplay and speed things up. Take a look at this video for a quick peak at some of the improvements:

And here's a list of some of the more noteable improvements:

-Battle Sim -- New Secondary Battle System which quickly simulates random encounters
-Auto Mindsort -- Removes topics when questioning an NPC, when they have no information regarding the topic (automatically)
-Questbook -- Tracks and displays information about Quests
-Vault Scene Actor Change -- ability to switch actors without backing out of the scene (< and >)
-Color-coded FastText PopUp -- different types of information appears in the fasttext popup afront colors for the given type
-NPC Scene Actor Change -- ability to switch actors without backing out of the scene (A and D)
-Journal Topic Muting -- from journal scene, topics can now be muted to remove them from consideration when questioning NPCs
-Minion Flee -- overpowered minions have a chance at fleeing from the party before encounter
-Voice -- voice notifications during certain moments of the game (successful skill use, critical hits, etc.)
-Completion of Ft. Dunn -- The entire map, NPCs, objects, and scenes of the Gray Regime's Northwestern fort is complete!
-Party Political Alignment System -- Party now has a rating with each of the three Gray World Races (shown on menu) that effects aspects of the game
-Flashing Active Combatant in Battlefield -- the battlers that are moving now flash in battlefield (still some bugs)
-New Options from Quick Menu -- (BattleSim, Mapmarks (in progress), Quickheal)
-Hidden, Randomly-Generated Playable Characters from each nation!
-New Nation notifications when passing between territories!

As you know, NetherQuest, in its video game form, has been in development since 2012. That's 7 years! And it finds its roots in the tabletop pen and paper version created in 2001! So, to me personally, it's awesome when I can share an update and get some feedback on the project. I've updated the original post and provided a link to the new version installer. May you continue to explore the Gray World and find those Stars!

ydoolb

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Hey-hey, congrats for a new version released! I hope you will continue developing it even futher.

This game one of unique in rm games - old-school westren style crpg. I advise everyone at least trying to play it.

Ixfuru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks ydoolb! I know you've been following the game for a while now. I thank you for that.

There is no plan on ever stopping NQ's development. It's like my life-long goal to finish it. (But I probably never will). I'm only on book 4 of 13 from the original table-top version. But it's so personally rewarding to me that even if I put it down for a while and work on some of my other projects, I always come back to it.

I think the difficult part about getting it attention is that it's coded and created with the RPGMAKER VX. That's like 2 or 3 generations ago. Rpgmaker has come a long way since then, but the truth is, I never took the time to really learn to code in javascript, which is why I can't get into MV as much. Coding NQ has made me somewhat of a Ruby guru. Haha! Anyway, I hope people will try it too. As it is not what they are expecting from a VX game I'm sure.

Thanks for the continued interest my friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

*Buys all the PVGames assets, ends up creating his own ground tiles.* At least I used the other types of graphics? Right? :kaoswt:
If you could fold a sheet of paper 42 times, the stack would reach from the earth to the moon. Do whatever you want with that information.
wishing that everyone stays safe at this time
Ami
4 days im not using my laptop to waiting someone to reinstall (sigh)
Stream will be live shortly with some Donkey Kong 64! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FoxStyle