New and intimidated

Discussion in 'Introductions/Farewells' started by JFB1222, Oct 19, 2019.

1. JFB1222

JFB1222 Wind Runner Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi, hello. My name is JFB1222 (or something like that) and I am brand new to RPG maker. Yeah, that's right, I have never used any of the RPG makers over the years; like at all. Also, I have absolutely no experience with any form of coding or designing a video game. So far, I have been watching youtube and fallowing tutorials step by step to use it, even though I screw up left and right I am starting to get the hang of how somethings in this program work. Right now I am using VX Ace opposed to MV because of the cost and to see if RPG Maker is really for me. I am a bit worried about trying to create my own game and just losing my head with all the options.

2. Tiamat-86

Tiamat-86 old jrpg gamer Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    almost feel like shoulda tryd introduction before buying cus woulda recommended RPGM Fes on DS for full on beginners.

just dont try doing a massive project for 1st attempt or you'll feel completely overwhelmed.
    make a few small things (1-3hours long) to build up understanding of eventing, balancing and the database.
    then start trying a few things with scripts/plugins that are not doable with just the vanilla game.

3. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Well, my first game was the largest one I've made ironically. (50 ~ 60 hours of game play with 92 quests)

Don't wanna do it again and haven't done the same, heh. I just didn't know better back then and kept pushing on.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    there is no need for coding knowledge for a beginner - there is a lot more you could do with coding knowledge, but it is NOT required to make a good game.

Quite the contrary - if you're really testing with Ace, then you should not care about learning the code language, because that was changed in RMMV, and if you ever go to the newer program (which I strongly suggest at the next sale because it is much better), then you would have to relearn the code language.

you can download the Ace-Sample game Crysalis top right under downloads and check it out, that game was made without scripts.

5. Black Pagan

Black Pagan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't try to create a Game at this point, Try to create "Mini Games" which consist of just a Single Map.

Here are 2 examples :

A Simple Maze :
    - A Simple Maze on a Map 15 x 15
    Goal : Make the Player navigate through the Maze with a few Enemy Troops, Find a Key Item and use it to Exit through a Locked Door.
    Few Ideas : A Locked Door, A Key Item, A Treasure Chest, Few Monster Troops, Auto Combat
    Note : You will be surprised how much fun it can be, If you plan it the right way and add Random Enemies and Treasure Chests !!!

A Simple Hero Adventure :
    - A Simple World Map 15 x 15
    Goal : Pick a Team of Heroes, Slay the Dragon Boss, Get through multiple towns on the way and buy upgrades, Encounter enemies on the way while wandering through Mountains, Forests and Desert lands.
    Few Ideas : Random Encounters, Special Skills, A Boss Tower, Final Boss, Cities which trigger Shop Keepers selling you Gear
    Note : A Single world map 15 x 15 can hold a lot of events and an Entire 15 Minute game if done right ! Its not Size that matters, its the Quality of Content.

Try small events such as this, Till you feel confident enough to start making a Real Game.

PS : Look into Plugins, There are literally Thousands. Plugins alter the Game play feature and mechanics completely in RPG Maker.

aniaaous likes this.
  6. JFB1222

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    1st of all, thank you all for the warm welcome.

Wow! How long did that take you to create?

Well, unfortunately the DS version was not available with the humble bundle.

Okay, thanks for the heads up! I will def check out Crysalis! Thanks again!

You have inspired me. I think I will make a main map as an arcade and make these mini games as independent arcade machines. I am not sure if I can do this, but thank you for the tips and the idea!

Really appreciated guys and gals! Seriously.

Lemonrice likes this.
  7. JFB1222

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tiamat-86 - I bought this off the humble bundle and the DS games were not included.

Sorry, my reply to you got lost in the formatting.

8. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    A full year. I think I spent about 4 hours every single day for the full 365 days.

9. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Welcome aboard. Keep at it and push yourself to give purpose to each and every tile you lay on your maps.

10. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, welcome, and good luck.

I bet that after a few months you’ll feel that RM (RPG Maker) isn’t that intimidating or difficult anymore. I can almost promise you this.