RMVXA [ NEW DEMO v0.0.65] Collector (Open World Cyberpunk RPG)

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've finally added a map view script! It's not in the demo yet, but will be in my next update. I am also implementing on-map battles, so no more boring default battle background. The lighting system will need to be changed as well, because it won't be compatible with the map battle script.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been adding the new lighting system, and discovered that there was a switch early in the story that teleports the player to a developer map. This was unintentional! I've removed the demo until I finish adding the new lighting and map battle systems.

EDIT: I've had some major lag issues with the new lighting. I need to figure out what to do going forward with that.

Last edited:

Metthink

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey man. Can you send me these tilesets? I liked too much the graphics and I need to use this on my project. Your game is awesome at least visually, but I didnt play yet...

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey man. Can you send me these tilesets? I liked too much the graphics and I need to use this on my project. Your game is awesome at least visually, but I didnt play yet...
I probably can't send them to all you, because there are resource packs from the RPG Maker store , namely Futuristic Tiles and The Zombie Tiles (which I can't seem to find on the store) that I use. I also have custom edits of tiles I found online. Were there specific parts you were looking for?

Metthink

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Dont worry... it seems that I will have to buy the packs...

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yesterday, I completed converting all of the demo combat encounters over to the new on-map system. I also finished updating the class selection menus to be images with all the relevant information.

I still need to update the two contracts that Sly gives you, and I am adding some new quest routes to Clara's quest regarding Eddy (optional bad endings).

I've also had to fix a bunch of bugs regarding my enemies. A lot of them didn't even have the correct attack bonus value!

As for the new lighting system, I had to ditch it because of the awful amount of lag it caused. Thankfully, a forum user wrote me a compatibility patch for the old one!

Also, I will be updating the first page with new screenshots and maybe even a gif/videos if I can figure out how to do it.

Hopefully I can get my demo back on the forum by next week. I'm very happy with how everything is turning out.

Last edited:

TheGentlemanLoser

True friends stab you in the front
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hey! so like, if this was anywhere else I guess you'd be my competition because I'm also developing a sandbox cyberpunk RPG w/ a lot of the same influences, but fortunately, in this close-knit community of tiny indie devs helping each other out, I feel like "competition" is pretty much a moot concept.

I will totally check this out once I get a demo release of Spirit of '76 out. I don't wanna play Collector before then because I don't wanna wind up getting influenced by your ideas, hope that makes sense

Some thoughts on the screen-shots in no particular order (spoilering this cuz it wound up PRETTY long):
  • I like your use of rain and neon to make the streets feel gritty and Bladerunner-esque.
  • I love the D&D style dice rolling in combat (although be careful how you implement it, as getting caught in a whiff-festival is especially annoying w/ that kind of system
  • I assume New Avalon is a futuristic reimagining of the city of London, England? (Avalon, like Camelot, is one of the place names I certainly hope so, as a
  • Is Corp-Creds a placeholder name? I ask because a) it's kind of a lame name for currency but mostly b) in a cyberpunk setting ruled by Zaibatsus/megacorps, each corporation would "print/mint" their own currency, thereby paying their wage slaves with a currency that MUST be spent on THEIR products, like in Shadowrun how Mitsuhama, Ares, Saeder-Krupp and Aztechnology each print their own kinds of moneys. Often hard currency--like eurodollars--or some kind of financial lingua franca--like nuyen--is the currency in these types of settings because it's something everyone has to recognize the value of. But all of the corps agreeing on the fixed price for a currency doesn't make a lot of sense w/ the assumption that they're the ruthless, soulless profit-motivated entities I assume they are
  • The screen resolution feels a bit big to me! I feel like there's a bit too much going on on each screen to appreciate all of those details, and it also accentuates the tininess of the chibi sprites (my next point). However, I know what a nightmare it is to change screen resolutions mid-project so I imagine this can't be helped at this stage.
  • I am not a fan of the chibi style RPG Maker RTP sprites but I absoluely, totally get why you're using them: the variety of characters available using RTP graphics for VXA or MV is easily tenfold or more than what's available in any of the "tall" styles. The 2019 version of Spirit had MV RTP sprites, and while I swapped those out when I resumed the project in the very end of 2020, I kept my sideview battle sprites MV RTP so I could use all the awesome gun sprites by whtdragon, Yuki, Faren, and others that I'd collected and set up.
  • The VXA character generator faces just look plain bad, though. It's just my opinion obviously, but I don't think I'm the only person to not enjoy that style.
  • Even if you're going to stick with the less-popular frontview system, which is fine--my other project MDC uses a frontview battle system--I'd suggest using battlebacks. The blurred spiral is kind of lame and very "2008" to me as far as Tsukuru stuff is concerned.
  • I also think that the sprite-based enemies are really unimpressive/underwhelming.
  • Everything about the shop screen makes me RIDICULOUSLY INAPPROPRIATE SEXUAL METAPHOR REMOVED...makes me really want to play the game. Enthused. Like very a lot. Let's just go with that.
  • How does the game handle ammo and reloading? I LOVE that it uses real calibers, because I'm quite the gun nerd. My own game limits weapons by ammo but at the time I was first making it there wasn't a reload mechanic plugin that I liked that was compatible with the other stuff I was using, and now it's too late since I've already kind of balanced and designed the database around not needing to reload guns in combat.
  • Do you have monofilament whips or are you a bad person?
Adding this to the very short list of RM games I really, really want to play some day. Keep up the good work!

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
hey! so like, if this was anywhere else I guess you'd be my competition because I'm also developing a sandbox cyberpunk RPG w/ a lot of the same influences, but fortunately, in this close-knit community of tiny indie devs helping each other out, I feel like "competition" is pretty much a moot concept.

I will totally check this out once I get a demo release of Spirit of '76 out. I don't wanna play Collector before then because I don't wanna wind up getting influenced by your ideas, hope that makes sense

Some thoughts on the screen-shots in no particular order (spoilering this cuz it wound up PRETTY long):
  • I like your use of rain and neon to make the streets feel gritty and Bladerunner-esque.
  • I love the D&D style dice rolling in combat (although be careful how you implement it, as getting caught in a whiff-festival is especially annoying w/ that kind of system
  • I assume New Avalon is a futuristic reimagining of the city of London, England? (Avalon, like Camelot, is one of the place names I certainly hope so, as a
  • Is Corp-Creds a placeholder name? I ask because a) it's kind of a lame name for currency but mostly b) in a cyberpunk setting ruled by Zaibatsus/megacorps, each corporation would "print/mint" their own currency, thereby paying their wage slaves with a currency that MUST be spent on THEIR products, like in Shadowrun how Mitsuhama, Ares, Saeder-Krupp and Aztechnology each print their own kinds of moneys. Often hard currency--like eurodollars--or some kind of financial lingua franca--like nuyen--is the currency in these types of settings because it's something everyone has to recognize the value of. But all of the corps agreeing on the fixed price for a currency doesn't make a lot of sense w/ the assumption that they're the ruthless, soulless profit-motivated entities I assume they are
  • The screen resolution feels a bit big to me! I feel like there's a bit too much going on on each screen to appreciate all of those details, and it also accentuates the tininess of the chibi sprites (my next point). However, I know what a nightmare it is to change screen resolutions mid-project so I imagine this can't be helped at this stage.
  • I am not a fan of the chibi style RPG Maker RTP sprites but I absoluely, totally get why you're using them: the variety of characters available using RTP graphics for VXA or MV is easily tenfold or more than what's available in any of the "tall" styles. The 2019 version of Spirit had MV RTP sprites, and while I swapped those out when I resumed the project in the very end of 2020, I kept my sideview battle sprites MV RTP so I could use all the awesome gun sprites by whtdragon, Yuki, Faren, and others that I'd collected and set up.
  • The VXA character generator faces just look plain bad, though. It's just my opinion obviously, but I don't think I'm the only person to not enjoy that style.
  • Even if you're going to stick with the less-popular frontview system, which is fine--my other project MDC uses a frontview battle system--I'd suggest using battlebacks. The blurred spiral is kind of lame and very "2008" to me as far as Tsukuru stuff is concerned.
  • I also think that the sprite-based enemies are really unimpressive/underwhelming.
  • Everything about the shop screen makes me RIDICULOUSLY INAPPROPRIATE SEXUAL METAPHOR REMOVED...makes me really want to play the game. Enthused. Like very a lot. Let's just go with that.
  • How does the game handle ammo and reloading? I LOVE that it uses real calibers, because I'm quite the gun nerd. My own game limits weapons by ammo but at the time I was first making it there wasn't a reload mechanic plugin that I liked that was compatible with the other stuff I was using, and now it's too late since I've already kind of balanced and designed the database around not needing to reload guns in combat.
  • Do you have monofilament whips or are you a bad person?
Adding this to the very short list of RM games I really, really want to play some day. Keep up the good work!
The screenshots are really old and need to be updated, as there have been a fair amount of changes since I put those on here.

1. Thank you! I was definitely inspired by Bladerunner as I'm sure you could already tell. The tint has been changed from the initial screenshots.
  2. Combat now takes place on the map, so visible dice rolling doesn't show up anymore due to incompatibilities with the map combat script. Dice rolling still happens behind the scenes, but you don't actually see the calculations. As for a "whiff-festival" this does happen somewhat early game, since your attack bonus is pretty low and there are few options of increasing it early game. Later on, your attack bonus will be much higher, since it scales with level and there is plenty of gear to increase it (especially if you dual wield pistols).
  3. It's not based on any real city. I wanted to stay away from making it a futuristic version of a real city, because I think that is kinda limiting. I thought New Avalon sounded cool because of Avalon being a mysterious place (and I was probably listening to Sail Away to Avalon by the progressive metal band Ayreon at the time).
  4. You've got me there. The name was chosen super early on in development and not much thought went into the background behind it. I can definitely change the name to something more interesting, and it'll be fun making more lore.
  5. Currently, the resolution is 640x480. I also think the screenshots I took were fullscreen, which is why they probably feel a bit too big.
  6. I'm using them because they are convenient for making a ton of NPCs. If there was another generator that made better looking stuff, I probably would've used that instead. Unfortunately, I have several hundred NPCs already made and it would take forever to replace them.
  7. I know they don't look good, and have heard this from others as well. The problem is that I don't want to pay others for art (since I intend to release this game for free) and I haven't tried my hand at making faces. I also haven't drawn in a while...
  8. The combat system has been changed, and I mentioned this in the second point. It now looks like this: (You can also see the new tint, which is based on a color palette from Bladerunner 2049. I'm thinking about changing the UI since this is the default Ace look.):
    testbattle.png
  9. Once again, this is due to the Ace generator being convenient. I'm not sure what I would use instead.
  10. I put a lot of effort into the equipment! I have a whole excel sheet with equipment data. Some of the weapon and item damage formulas were stupidly complex to make.
    value += b.state?(211) ? (value += a.state?(168) ? (b.saving_throw(a, :bod, 15, "Toxin") ? (0 + (a.demo * 2)) : (b.add_state(60) ; (5 + (a.demo * 2)))) : (b.saving_throw(a, :bod, 15, "Toxin") ? (0) : (b.add_state(60); 5))) : (value += a.state?(168) ? (b.saving_throw(a, :bod, 15, "Toxin") ? (5 + (a.demo * 2)) : (b.add_state(60) ; (5 + (a.demo * 2)))) : (b.saving_throw(a, :bod, 15, "Toxin") ? (5) : (b.add_state(60); 5)))
    Here's a GIF of all the current firearms (in the developer test map):
As for ammunition, each gun has a set amount in its magazine based on their real life counterpart. For instance, since the in-game Volya ASh-2044-12.7 is based on the shAK-12 (which originally was called the ASh-12.7), it has 20 rounds in the magazine. It uses the 12.7x55mm round.

I use the mana bar for "ammunition". Each skill uses a certain amount of ammunition (1 for single shot, 3 for burst fire, and 5 for automatic fire) for its cost. Once you run out, you need to use the "Reload" skill to fill the mana bar with a certain amount of ammunition based on the equipped firearm. It's quite a simple system, but works great.

I have a bunch of ammunition types in the game. For pistol calibers I have .22lr, .380 ACP, .38 Special, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .410 Bore, 10mm, .30 carbine, .357 magnum, .44 magnum, .440 Cor-Bon, 12.5x40R, .50 AE, .454 Casull, .480 Ruger, and 12.7x55mm. I am toying with adding .500 S&W and .600 Nitro Express too.

For rifle calibers I use 5.56x45mm, 5.45x39mm, 5.56mm XM682 Flechette (this is a fictional caliber based on the experimental 5.56x45mm sub-caliber flechette), .300 Blackout, 7.62x39mm, .458 Socom, 7.62x51mm, 7.62x54R, 12.7x55mm, .338 Lapua, 9x90 MEN, 12.7x108mm, and .50 BMG.

I've wanted to add a mono-filamant whip, but don't have a good icon for it yet. I also have mono-blades for more molecular slicing fun!

Attachments

• 1610940373183.png
    1610940373183.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My demo is finally back! There has been some major and many minor changes.

Demo Version 0.0.65 Change log

Remade the character class selection menu and feat selection menu. Instead of text boxes, all the relevant information is displayed on screen as images.

Changed all combat encounters to the new on-map battle system.

Added a new map in the menu.

Changed font used for event labels to be the correct.

Edited light picture so it’s not pixelated.

Fixed errors among enemy statistics and skills.

Removed Attack Bonus reduction on melee weapons and some skills.

Removed another XP exploit bug.

Fixed an error when paying off Liana’s debt.

Added new icons for Life Saver Kits.

Added a new iteration of the Life Saver Kit.

Fixed an issue where states related to feats didn’t apply skill point increases.

Added few smart guns to the demo.

Balanced armors again to account for new enemy attack bonus formulas.

Added a small drug tutorial after the first combat encounter.

Added the beginning of a new quest for Clara after saving Eddy.

Adding an alternate outcome for the quest with Eddy.

Added the beginnings of the other 2 starter contracts from Sly.

Added Wisdom bonus to all versions of Medical Kits.

Added some changes to the Wanderer and Techhead class progression.

Added a few new loot sources.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Holy moly, this looks amazing.

I've been working on a cyberpunk adventure RPG of my own for a couple months, and reviewing your screenshots and game info is really inspiring on one hand, and daunting on the other. I definitely need to 'up my game'! I will make a point of playing this, though may wait until your v1 release.

G'luck in your struggles chummer :LZScool:

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Holy moly, this looks amazing.

I've been working on a cyberpunk adventure RPG of my own for a couple months, and reviewing your screenshots and game info is really inspiring on one hand, and daunting on the other. I definitely need to 'up my game'! I will make a point of playing this, though may wait until your v1 release.

G'luck in your struggles chummer :LZScool:
Thanks! It's definitely daunting, especially if I think of all the work I have to do. I've been taking a bit of a break, but will probably get back to work soon! The next thing I have to do is complete two of the planned districts just to work on the next section of the story.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I know it looks more like a apple but...its a cherry, his name is: Cherry Knight
i just started uploading some of my selfmade Pixel Art on DA,
visit me there if you are interrested^^
Im sorry but..I Want to play a game.
Anyone here is familiar with the US Law ? I'm working on a game idea at the moment and I have several questions on my mind :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justbobted25