New here. Confused about content restrictions of paid DLC.

charisma6

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was browsing the Resources page on this site, and started noticing a few things that I didn't fully understand. Forgive me if these seem basic and obvious. I literally just started my RM journey last week.

The way I'm reading this is, packs and products marked with this are not licensed for any kind of commercial use. That is, we're not allowed to use those assets in any project that we're profiting from. Is this accurate or am I misreading it?

If that's true, then I'm still confused. I thought one of the main draws of RPG Maker was that aspiring devs can sell games made with the platform. I understand that the base assets are fine to use, and some of these resource packs are also fine, but then these others may be more restrictive and that's their right? Why would the asset creators be picky about how their assets are used, if they're being paid for them? Like, what's a scenario they want to avoid?

The other place I'm confused is with this one:

Similar issue, I know. But is this saying the asset creator doesn't want their assets used for NSFW content at all, commercial or not? How do they track that? If someone did buy and use those assets in a project that got a little risque, what could they do about it?

I don't mean to complain and I'm definitely not criticizing anyone. I'm just new and confused and I'd like to fully understand. Neither of these concerns have much impact on me or my plans. But it's just something I feel like I should be aware of before I get too deep into my project. Like, if I pay for and use certain assets, do I have to be extra careful to keep things family-friendly, even if I don't plan on marketing or selling the game?

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Regarding the first one: you're misreading it. That sign means you can use it in commercial games if those games are made in Rpg Maker or Visual Novel Maker (that's what the Maker Only bit refers to).

Regarding the second sign: Yes, it means no using it in NSFW games/18+ games. There's no real way to track it, but if they find out I'd assume they'd ask you to remove it from your game.

Edit: Moving this to Product Discussion.

Last edited:

charisma6

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahh, okay that makes more sense. That takes care of my confusion 100%. Thank you for the reply, it was very helpful!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone have advice for recruiting friends to bugtest with you? I had some buddies volunteer without me asking, and we agreed on dates and times... and they all just flaked...
A mousefolk sprite I made, I think I did good.
Discovering math. functions for damage formulas was one of the greatest things for me.
It's very useful for balancing skills to work in a variety of possible circumstances.
For example if you have a skill that is supposed to work for both mages and warriors:
Code:
Math.max(a.atk * 2 - b.def, a.mat * 2 - b.mdf)
SpaceX: First-ever successful (manned) commercial spaceflight!! In these terrible and self-sabotaging times for the world, that's a ray of excitement and hope I needed badly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abhikhurana