New here! i have some questions

static-oceans

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi there! I'm considering getting RPG Maker but i'm not entirely sure it's what I need for what i'm trying to do. Can you guys help me out?
I don't know too much of anything about coding, but i'm definitely willing to learn.

Okay, so, I'm hoping to make a 2D survival horror game with the play style and mechanics kind of like, a 2d Zelda game. Real-time overworld battles and stuff. I'm not completely sure if fighting mechanics like that are possible in an RPG maker game (or if it would look nice and play well).

Is this possible? If not, what's something else i could use for something like that? thanks!

(sorry if i say anything ignorant since i'm just now jumping into this)

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's possible, but it's going to be difficult to make since it's not part of the engine's base mechanics.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
default RPG-Makers are all having battlescreens with different forms of turn-based or timed battles.
What you describe is called an action-battle-system or ABS for short, and they can usually only be implemented with special programming.

Those scripts or plugins exist, but they are a lot of work to create - for that reason there is only one yet for RMMV and that one is still in beta if I remember correctly. For VX Ace there were haf a dozen scripts completed and bug-free, but RMVXA is already out of support and doesn't have the more modern features of MV (for exampe Ace is WIN-only, MV can deploy to other OS and mobiles).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kid : "MOOOMM! My poop is bloody red!" Me, an intellectual : "There's worm parasite inside your body. You gonna die soon."
Caught a guy trying to break into our house today. Appearantly he intended to burgle our neighbor (a 94yo widow) but picked the wrong house. Faced with two angry males he was quick to give up without a fight...
I just joined the club of nerds making their own Excel-Sheets to calculate HP / MP / EXP.. parameter curves
Me: "Finally finished most of my game backlog. Probably time to do some gamedev" | Steam: *offer sales*
If I recorded while I created (what I think is) a small plugin, would you be interested enough in the process to watch it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lanzy