New here. I have some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! I signed up a few days ago! Don't worry, I already read the rules. I'm very new to RPG Maker

I have a few questions.

1. I must have done something wrong with one of my events, because I have one of them be at the entrance to a forest that's supposed to be dark and creepy and the very first thing I added was a Tint Screen effect (the Night tint in case you're curious)... and for some reason, while I like that particular map stays tinted... for some reason, this transfers over my other maps. Any way to fix that?

2. How to make a lantern effect for dark places? Like a little ball of light surrounding my characters? I forgot how, and I wanna make an item like that and maybe make one of my created spells do it as well as an alternative.

3. What's the difference between parallax mapping and overlay? And why is parallax mapping so good for a game anyway? I don't get it.

4. I wanna make a spell that transforms the enemy into something harmless like a cat. I'm not sure if the enemy should run away or die. How would I go about doing this?

5. I'm assuming that most of the VX Ace tutorials on here can be applied to MV? Because I can't find many tutorials on how to do stuff for MV, but over a million for VX Ace.

6. I might be in the wrong place to ask this, but... I bought some of the graphical stuff for MV since I found the basic tilesets... a bit lacking. I mean, they're nice looking, but I want more variety, you know? The problem is... the tilesets I bought (Royal Tiles, Fantastic Buildings Medieval, Volcanoes and Dungeons and Ancient Dungeons Base Pack) are for VX Ace. I don't think I'm doing things right because the tilesets don't look right when I add them to my map. I thought I resized them properly, but I guess not? I just wanna make my castle and town look nicer, dangit! That, and I want nicer trees.

7. I wanna give one of my actors a specific kind of hat, a robin hood style hat with a feather. *points to avatar* Specifically him. I have Game Character Hub installed, but I have no idea how to make it work. How do I edit sprites in MV?

8. I made an ultimate healing spell called "Ambrosia". I set it to All Allies, so... I guess I can't use it to revive allies? Because it'd be awesome if I could do that- Revive all Allies who are dead, Heal them back to full health, Cure them of their status effects, AND add Buffs and remove Debuffs all at once!

9. I bought RPG Maker MV a few days ago. But I still haven't recieved my product key! Am I supposed to wait until it expires and then I'll get it? Because I'm worried. I wanna keep working on what I'm doing, even if it is just "hey let's make something familiar to me in RPG Maker MV and just test out random things like events just to get a general feel for the program", you know?

10. Does anyone know where I can find sprites/artwork of a wolf and a moat monster/sea serpent respectively?

11. I like the Item Book and Enemy Book plugins you guys made! Why don't you have a Skills Book?

12. Is there a way for me to reload my save file when I playtest besides going back to the title screen? I only ask, because if I ever decide to make an actual game with a plot, I better find a way to do that because nobody wants to have to quit the game to start up their save file again.

Last edited by a moderator:

thehackeryacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well now thats a list, so let me answer for what I can.

1. Your event that tints the map, I assume it is a parralell process, if not, make it one. Have the "transfer player" event when the player leaves the map to tint the screen back to normal, or add another event on the map in paralell to do this after exiting the "dark" map.

2. Terrax Lighting for your lamp effect. As far as making an item or skill, you would have to try a little common eventing for yourself.

3. Parallax is in the background, will be covered by sprites, overlay will cover anything on the screen, eg. the foreground, while the player and tiles would be considered in the center, respectfully (sprites will still interact from below, same, and above).  You may have a floating island, and want scrolling clouds in the background, or a forest scene that has trees in the foreground.

4. While I have not messed around with "morphing" and enemy, that would take a little scripting and common event for the skill.

5.  VXAce tutorials, as far as events, mapping, and most, are the same. However Ruby script is no longer used, so you can not use VXAce scripts with MV. And the sprites have been increased to 48*48.

6.  Follow these templates for more help with editing sprites. I use the program Gimp.

7. I would use the image editor GIMP to edit all of my sprites, are you asking for more character generator parts??

8. You can make a skill to do this, mine is "Rejuvination" to raise, heal, fill mp. and fill all limited skills (a YEP plugin ). That would take a little more answering and knowing how to set up the skill. The common event just uses the "recover all" to recover stats, and then have the skill call that, along with stat buffs... enote picture.

RejuvinationComEv.pngRejuvinationSpell.png

9. Ask a senior member....sorry :-\

10. Any sprites you might be hunting can easily be found by googling like this "wolf sprite rpg maker" and go to the images tab. You will have to follow the image links to find out about usage and rights.

11. Skills book is understandable, but you can look up your skills while players are in the party, and if you upgraded your enemy book and use YEP plugins, you can inspect enemy skills from the enemy book. Not sure if there is a "skill book" plug-in.

HitYourGrandma

Ruler of all Evil and Procrastination
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
6. I might be in the wrong place to ask this, but... I bought some of the graphical stuff for MV since I found the basic tilesets... a bit lacking. I mean, they're nice looking, but I want more variety, you know? The problem is... the tilesets I bought (Royal Tiles, Fantastic Buildings Medieval, Volcanoes and Dungeons and Ancient Dungeons Base Pack) are for VX Ace. I don't think I'm doing things right because the tilesets don't look right when I add them to my map. I thought I resized them properly, but I guess not? I just wanna make my castle and town look nicer, dangit! That, and I want nicer trees.

10. Does anyone know where I can find sprites/artwork of a wolf and a moat monster/sea serpent respectively?

GrandmaDeb has a list of animal sprites. Look through that.

EDIT: Oh, right, I forgot..

VX Ace (and more) to MV.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oooh... Common Events and Scripting... I don't really know what I'm doing, honestly. I'm actually trying to watch Echo607's stuff for her tutorials since I like what she has. The closest thing I've done is recently add a Switch so someone could join my party and comment on something.

Parallel, eh? Okay, I'll try tinting it again.

Can I tint the lighting in a certain hue? I want my "lantern" to give off blue light if I can. Why? Partially as a reference to something, and partially because it'd be cool.

That template post doesn't look very helpful. I just see pictures. Maybe further down? Because the first post doesn't seem to tell me anything. I'm looking for stuff on tilesets, not icons or battle images.

Never used VX Ace so mentions of the Ruby script will fly right over my head. I did use XP, but not very much and that was over a decade ago.

GIMP, huh? Okay. Downloading.

That's what I thought about Parallax vs overlay. That still doesn't tell me why people use parallax and rely on it so much, though. I wanna add an overlay to my forest area, like clouds or something. How would I do that?

Cool, what's the plugin called?

Uh, while that GrandmaDeb link WOULD be helpful normally... I only see dead Wolf sprites, not walking ones or battle artwork. I mean, the closest I have in the database is the Werewolf artwork and the Inugami artwork. Not exactly what I'm looking for. That Giant Snake might work though!

HitYourGrandma

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oooh... Common Events and Scripting... I don't really know what I'm doing, honestly. I'm actually trying to watch Echo607's stuff for her tutorials since I like what she has. The closest thing I've done is recently add a Switch so someone could join my party and comment on something.

Can I tint the lighting in a certain hue? I want my "lantern" to give off blue light if I can. Why? Partially as a reference to something, and partially because it'd be cool.

That template post doesn't look very helpful. I just see pictures. Maybe further down? Because the first post doesn't seem to tell me anything. I'm looking for stuff on tilesets, not icons or battle images.

That's what I thought about Parallax vs overlay. That still doesn't tell me why people use parallax and rely on it so much, though. I wanna add an overlay to my forest area, like clouds or something. How would I do that?

Uh, while that GrandmaDeb link WOULD be helpful normally... I only see dead Wolf sprites, not walking ones or battle artwork. I mean, the closest I have in the database is the Werewolf artwork and the Inugami artwork. Not exactly what I'm looking for. That Giant Snake might work though!

Lots of help

The TerraxLighting plugin allows you to control what color light your events can give off. 

Light 300 #33CCFF

Light - Activates the plugin

300 - The radius of the light

#33CCFF - The color of the light itself (It's blue, in this case. An example from the demo I downloaded a while ago.)

(You'd put this in the event notetag.)

I haven't tried overlay yet (I should, I've had RPG Maker stuff for a while, now..), but I imagine you'd do it with a starting image of transparency, and add fog effects with Gimp or Photoshop or something.

If you want a tileset template, you can just use the tilesets you already have and build upon that. 

If you want some new tiles, go check the MV Resource forum. Maybe the VX Ace Resource forum, as well?

Let me just see on more animal sprites..

Here, hereherehere, here, and here.

That's all I'm can find at the moment. But, I highly recommend you look over the terms of use. I didn't give them much look.

thehackeryacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I believe the plugin is simply named "enemy book 1.4" browse the RMMV plugins.. or search...

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks like that MVFU thing is working at least!

I'm slowly learning things. Sorry for bombarding you guys wth so many questions at once...

Aw man, I don't know which of the wolf links to pick! They ALL look nice... especially the SpriteCenter one.

Oh. I already have EnemyBook. I guess I could try to make my own someday...

thehackeryacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In using gimp, since you are wanting to edit tilesets, open an already existing tileset in one instance and the image you are importing from in another (you will have two windows open, I am showing the first, and how to set up your grid, and snapping to make it easier..., also how to remove color/make tarnsparent)

This set up will make editing easier (I hope, it does for me). Click on view, and check Show Grid, and Snap to grid. This will let you see the full area each tile can take without passing through to another tile accidentally. Snap to grid, will make it auto-grab corners to say, so you don't have to zoom down to the pixel level to grab exact squares/grids. Under the Image tab, click the configure grid, and set it to 48 x 48.

GimpEditing.png

GimpEditing2.png

You can simply click "open" to open your source file (the images you want to use in your new tilesset) and a new window will open. If your image/tiles are not 48x48, resize them to fit and copy in the appropriate place. When you have finished editing your new tileset, click file>export image, and export a PNG image to your games IMG folder (usually C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Games\ProjectName\img\tilesets ). Make sure you don't overwrite your existing, unless you actually mean to.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Cool thanks!

Welp, got all my new tilesets in! I wonder... if it possible to mix and match certain part of tilesets? I have always wondered what it meant when I clicked on an image in the tileset part of the database and I got it X'ed out.

Btw, what YEP plugin is it that allows the "fill all limited skills" thing? Unless that's just "TP recovery"?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
X means you can't walk through that tile. o means you can, star means you can and the tile will appear above the character (useful for overhanging objects).

As for mix and matching, yep, you use GIMP for that. Just be advised you cannot make the tilesets any size but the default A1 - A5 have their own sizes, and B and C do to. I think B and C is 768 x 768 pixels in MV, with each tile 48 x 48). I always suggest opening one of the default tile sets (back it up first! Or do what I do and work only with copies in a separate directory for editing), then deleting the tiles you don't want, then copy over the tiles you do want into those spots.

It'll feel like tetris, but after a while you'll be good at squeezing in tiles into spaces.

Edit: Word of advice. NEVER change the passability of the first tile in the B tileset to anything but Star, and don't put anything in that first spot in your B tileset. Just trust me on this one.

thehackeryacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
(after browsing through extensive list of wonderful YEP plugins... (Yanfly Engine, incase I assumed you knew, he has 62 so far that I know of...)

You need Skill core and Limited  Skill uses. I suggest checking out all YEP plugins but here is a view of what I have and then a link to Yanfly plugins...

There are other settings you can adjust from the plugins, and you add note tags in certain event/database entries. I give character certain skills that can only be used a couple times in battle, and I have it set to refill all automatically after battle. The "recover all" command will refill the limited skills automatically, and the skill I made "Rejuvination" is a skill to refill all parameters including limited skills (also adding the skill charge, so you can't use that skill again for some time.....thats another plugin...)

limitedskills.png

limitedskills2.png

That "cast animation" is a note tag in reference to YEP BattleCore and Animation Sequence Pack... the <Limit Uses: 3> is the note tage that assigns how many time the skill can be used.

And to help you with most things throughout your game, I would check out Yanflys page here...

http://yanfly.moe/yep/

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
3.  And why is parallax mapping so good for a game anyway? I don't get it.

5. I'm assuming that most of the VX Ace tutorials on here can be applied to MV? Because I can't find many tutorials on how to do stuff for MV, but over a million for VX Ace.

3) Parallax Mapping allows you to create maps where the objects are off the grid, and with more than one or two tiles overlapping. Theoretically this may result in better-looking maps, but only if you know how to design your maps - otherwise it often results in cluttered and unplayable maps.

And that is why parallax mapping is NOT always good - in addition to the other disadvantages of parallax mapping, which is why a lot of games don't use it.

You can go searching for tutorials on it, but basically you can say "regular mapping is 20% of the work for 80% of the quality of parallax mapping". If you know how to design a map, then parallax mapping gets you that extra bit of map quality for a lot more work

5) yes, there is no difference between Ace and MV from the mapping and eventing side (MV only has a few options added), so as long as you stay away from scripts you can use all Ace tutorials.

I suggest you follow the link to the starting point tutorial in my signature as that will get you to the basics of using Ace or MV as fast as possible.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Wow... that's a lot of plugins. I think I have some of these, yeah!

i have GIMP, but haven't tried it out yet. I think I'm just a little hesitant because I'm afraid of screwing up... that or I'm just lazy.

Thanks once again for all your help, everyone!

HitYourGrandma

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

i have GIMP, but haven't tried it out yet. I think I'm just a little hesitant because I'm afraid of screwing up... that or I'm just lazy.

If you don't try, you're never going to learn. (If you're afraid of copying over something, just copy it somewhere's else and use that one.)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Make a copy in another directory, and only edit that one. I have one I call edited graphics, which has a copy of all my master tiles, and all my graphical edits too. That way, the original stays untouched.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, good news! Firstly, I solved my "tint screen" problem! And secondly, I finally found my Product Key. It was under Licence in the stuff I bought. *facepalm*

Bad News: I messed up my Lantern thing. :( It's NOT centered on my character, it's also not a glow like I wanted but the actual picture just pasted on there. If I turn opacity to zero, I see nothing, I turn it all the way up and I get that.

Also, I have a very high resolution monitor so GIMP looks like this... not to mention, I have NO idea what I'm doing! Okay, I CAN zoom in then! That's good at least, but I still don't know what I'm doing! I wanna give him a hat, but I can't draw...

Screenshot 2016-01-28 01.10.39.png

Screenshot 2016-01-28 01.16.08.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Little Adventurer, we want the forum organized by theme, with one topic for one problem to improve searchability. Please make any new question you have into a new topic, especially after your basic questions here have been answered.

I'm closing this topic for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's raining non stop since yesterday. The sound of the rain is so soothing.
I really miss the old style disney animated movies. I guess the last one was The Princess and the Frog from 2009. Now I am trying to collect every single one I can get on BD or DVD.
What I've seen from the MZ tiles looks pretty inconsistent, bleh. Every plant seems to be drawn in a different style.
Recently posted a demo of my game online. Now I have no idea what to do with myself o_O What is the reason for my existence now...
I'm feeling a lot better this week. Some of the rules in my country for isolation changed a little, so I was able to see friends in person again, which was a huge relief. Thanks everyone for giving me some sympathy last week when I was having a rough time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chauffyfox