New here - with question across rpg makers

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by TexasTrey, Sep 9, 2019.

1. TexasTrey

TexasTrey Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hi, I just joined this forum today while searching for an answer. Background - I have not used rpg makers, but I have used the character generator product for hours. I have toyed with gamemaker a bit to see how easy it would be to create what I want to do. Nothing substantial, but after looking at some example of non-rpg games from rpgmaker, I think it will be less effort for what I intend to do.

If my goal is to create the game in rpgmaker mv but I see other versions on sale. While researching it sounds like the rgp's (I believe this is the term for the content packs - the included sounds, tiles, sprites, etc), differ from version to version of rpgmaker.

I understand that the resolution will not be an exact match and will require extra effort, but I feel like more content would give me more inspiration to work with.

Question: If I have MV, do you agree that the other versions (namely xp and vx ace) would be worthy purchases for the extra content provided? They appear to be on sale for a total of about $20. Especially if I wanted less chibli looking characters? Or is it pretty much a waste of money? If yes, is there any difference in the packs from vx to vx ace? I suspect they are virtually the same.

Thanks in advance - I cannot find anything online that addresses this beyond XP has greater content available - I cant tell if that means within the product or from others.

Marquise* likes this.
  2. Elissiaro

Elissiaro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some things don't translate all that well.
    XP and VX Ace both use 32 pixel tiles, while MV uses 48 pixels. And I think 2000 and 2003 use 16 pixels. They also have different art styles.
    So if you want to use stuff from the different tileselts, you'll need to edit them.

Actually I made a quick comparison just now with a character and closet from each version (2000 and 2003 are pretty identical):
    [​IMG]
    Of course you can still use them in MV. But you'll need to edit the tiles into an MV sized tilesheet.

You'll also need to edit the character sheets except VX Ace. 2000 and 2003 have a different layout for the sprites. And XP has 4 frame sprites instead of 3 frame, though for most characters they use the "middle" sprite twice, and also has single sprites instead of spritesheets.

As for the sound and music... The 2000, 2003 and XP music is in MIDI format, I don't know if you can use that in MV, but you can always convert it. VX Ace and MV both use OGG format for music, and MV also has m4a/MPEG-4 for mobile and mac ports iirc.

I checked and there's 97 music files in 2000, 151 in 2003, 64 in XP and 42 in VXA. So it might be worth it just for the music, though I don't know how much overlap there is.

TLDR; You'd have to convert a lot of stuff, but... It's a lot of stuff if you feel up to actually editing it.

(Edit): Also there's of course a lot of free stuff to find online for the older versions. Though you might wanna be careful, there were a LOT of illegal rips for the oldest versions. (Probably cause RPGmaker itself was illegally translated into english for a long time.)

Marquise* likes this.
  3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RTP = Run Time Package - this is the collection of resources that come with the engine by default.

There is a plugin that comes with MV that allows you to change the tile size to 32x32 so you can use the XP/Ace resources without conversion, but you would need to replace all the images to avoid clashing art styles.

Marquise* likes this.
  4. V_Aero

V_Aero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Isn't it possible to get the RTP for free without buying its associated engines? I always thought all RTP resources are free to use but Im not sure now

5. Elissiaro

Elissiaro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's probably possible... But illegal. You have to own the rpgmaker the assets came from to use them legally.

6. TexasTrey

TexasTrey Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks so much for the info. RTPs - that's it. The images posted side by side are helpful for comparison. I found there are trial versions offered so I installed a few - although, I struggled finding the actual content files last night. @v-aero, I saw youtube videos stating the same licensing requirement (ownership of rpgmaker version that assets came with) that Elissiaro posted. Thanks again...I'm off to look for the content of the ones I installed.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    (I'm not sure why you quoted my post there, as I never mentioned anything about this, but anyhow ...)

Earlier engines allowed you to download the RTP separately, but that was for the purpose of playing games made with those engines, where the creator didn't include the RTP in the game build. It was never provided as a way for you to obtain resources to use in your own games. Legally, you can only use the resources if you have a valid licence to the engine (ie - have purchased the engine). This means you're not even allowed to share a game that you made for free in a trial version of the engine. And if you have a valid licence to the engine, you can use those resources in other engines you also have a licence to, within the RPG Maker series (so if you own XP and Ace, you can use XP resources in Ace and vice versa, though they usually require a bit of reformatting).

MV is a bit different, in that it provides a way to include only the RTP resources used in the game when building, so there is no need to provide the entire RTP as a separate download.

@TexasTrey unless you have a lot of time on your hands, I would suggest NOT launching them all around the same time, as the trials are all time limited. If you open them all, they all start counting down, so your trial for Ace might be used by the time you've finished playing with XP and are ready to start looking at Ace. Hopefully it's not to late to give you this warning.

Marquise* likes this.
  8. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Welcome new member!
    *cybermental hugs*
    Have fun making games ^^

9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Product Discussion and Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.