new ImageFilter tool (scale Pixel Art with XBR/XBRz or HQ)

Salmakis

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
VNM
Hi folks, be a while since I was here, I can't use my old Account anymore (don't have the email address anymore) so I made a new one, so no worry if my account is new and fresh.

i have used this tool a long time:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/image-resizer-specially-for-upscaling-pixel-art.45856/

but it Allways had some Problems that bugged me a lot so after Years of using it, I decided to create an Alternative tool.

Some problems to me where that I needed to open another file when I tried to overwrite the input file from my Image Editor because it locks the file.

So I decided to create a new tool that not Locks the file, and also I wanted it to show only the relevant settings for a Filter.
I took the most Filter Implementations from the Original tool, made them compatible to use with my Tool and Implemented those.

The tool is free (GNU/GPL) can be found on GitHub https://github.com/Salmakis/ImageFilterCollection
Download Windows (Zip): https://github.com/Salmakis/ImageFilterCollection/releases/latest
Small text how to use: https://github.com/Salmakis/ImageFilterCollection/blob/master/README.md

It also got a Special mode extra for Tilesets/Chipsets, where each tile/chip is processed individually and then its assembled again to an Image.
Also, you can Copy/Paste to/from Clipboard, where it might not be sure if it works with all programs because all the tools got different ways to handle the Clipboard content.
It works at least with Gimp, Paint.Net (works with transparency) and MsPaint (it does not know Transparency).

screenie.png

If you have suggestions or want another filter being Available Let me know =)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, being able to process tiles in a single tileset image instead of one by one is amazing! That's going to make things much easier. Thank you! This will be my new favorite scaling program.

Edit: I messed around with it last night. If I scale something up then downscale it by 75% with a no halo interpolation in GIMP, it looks really good, like I had painted it from scratch almost. Sometimes there's some glitches due to the way things are kept together in tiled mode, but it would take minimal work to fix. I can't figure out the trick I was using before to keep it cleanly pixeled while doing it last time, sadly, but for digitally painted, this works well.

Last edited:

Salmakis

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
VNM
Hey, I'm glad you like the idea of tile processing, I'm about to implement some extra options like "tiling a tile before processing" like putting the same tile in a 3x3 grid, process it and then only extract the middle result so that the tile is more working well if its placed next to each other, should give better results especially with blurry filters.
another option I plan is to add the outer pixels around the image as virtual pixels so that there are no cut out edges in some cases / filter configurations.
and ofc more filters =)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's so cool! I'm really looking forward to it! Since you're messing around with it, could you include some downscale options too? It'd be nice to get the right MV size from XP/VX/Ace resources without pulling it into something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In other news, my new computer is now ordered, and I'll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week! CAN'T WAIT!!!
I've said my cat's names in such a baby-talk manner over the years, Biggs is now Biggoro, Bella is now Bellllyyaah, and somehow.....somehow Tessa is Sessashan
Did a massive ****up in my code that would have caused the game to crash on most computers and almost released an update without noticing it.
I keep thinking today is Thursday.
And I look forward to the next preview thread coming this afternoon.
And then I realise it's not Thursday at all.
And then I get sad :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr