New: Need Help With Relationship System

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by DapperHound, Feb 27, 2018.

1. DapperHound

DapperHound Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm completely new to RPG Maker (I use MV btw), and this is my first post on these forums. So excuse me if I am in the wrong area for what I need to ask.

I have been creating small test games over the past few days to make sure certain aspects that I want in my actual project will work properly. Right now I am working on making a relationship system for the game (basically just controlling variables and such), but I'm starting to run into a few issues. I've looked up some tutorials, but sadly all these tutorials brush by things that they assume I would already know, and I don't even know enough about them to search for the answers myself. I mean, how do you find the answer to a question if you don't know what question to ask?

I've figured out how to control variables and how to make branches that react to variables, but here's my issue. In a script I might start off with a simple introductory line with some choices kinda getting the player introduced to this character they've never spoken to before. However, there are some issues. I don't want the player to see this text ever again. I've tried controlling the different bits of dialogue with switches being turned on and off, but obviously, every time you speak with a character, the script will run in order and turn these switches on and off again....... So how do I make it so that they can get the introductory dialogue once, then all dialogue there after to be reliant on the choices they have already made?

Also, if someone has a link that explains some of the stuff that shows up in scripts in detail so I can simply read other people's scripts and understand how to use/make them myself, that would be awesome. Sometimes words/commands just show up in a script without explanation and it leaves me unable to duplicate a line or 2 making the whole thing useless.

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, it wasn't quite the right section.

Moved to MV Support

I'd say the best way to do this is to set the event to only run if certain conditions are met, but it might also depend on how many scenes you wish to do and such. Otherwise, in my game I just set them to all occur at fixed points in the story, so it was controlled by the story event too (and I used a variable to keep track of which story event you were on, so if you were on event 256, then everything associated with it ran, and I increased it by 1 at the end). Haven't tried it any other way yet.

3. DapperHound

DapperHound Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Now this is where me being completely new becomes completely apparent. What is a story event?

I figured out my issue. It was actually pretty simple. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2018
  4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ok, good. I merged your posts since your other one was pending so you couldn't post that on there, but in the future we ask that you just edit your post if no one has posted below your post and 72 hours has not post.

As for story event, I mean an event which advances the plot.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  6. scanime

scanime Will Make RPGs For Fun Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It can get pretty complicated, but it gets easier the more you use it. I don't know what specifically you are having trouble with, but people here like helping. If you're having trouble figuring out the different commands are within a script, you may want to take a look at the Google Sheets document RMMV Script Calls. This goes through all of the different script calls that can be used within MV, from messages to party composition. If that doesn't answer your questions, ask away.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The OP doesn't need script calls. That was a misuse of the term script - he/she is simply creating an event using event commands, which is common with beginners.