New Plug-in for extra Menu?

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by ScreamingLadybug, Jun 28, 2018.

1. ScreamingLadybug

ScreamingLadybug Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not quite sure if I'll need to make a plug-in to do this, so I thought I'd post here.
    All I want is for the player to click on an object, and have a new Menu come up with different boxes for certain things.

Here's an example:

Crafting_Menu.jpg

I'd also like to have pictures of the tab's items, with names in small font below the pictures. And if I could, be able to drag them into the Mod 1-3 Boxes. But for right now, all I need to know is will this work with or without a plug-in lol

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ScreamingLadybug 'Game Mechanics Design' is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. Furthermore, a menu is not a mechanic. "How do I...?" (implementation) questions go in the appropriate Support forum for the engine you are using.

You do not specify what engine this is for, nor do you include that in the information under your avatar. I am going to assume from your use of the word plugin that you are using MV (though this is not 100% certain, as some new Members use it for Ace as well) and move this accordingly.

If it is not for MV, please Report this post and say which engine it is. You might also consider editing your Profile page to add that information under your avatar so that people can see at a glance what you are using.

This cannot be done by default and will require a plugin.

I've moved this thread to Javascript/Plugin Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. ScreamingLadybug

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I am talking about MV. My apologies and I'll change my profile in a minute.

Can I use Yanfly's Main Menu Manager to add a new Menu Screen without having it link to the original Main Menu? Should I make it a Common Event? How do I bind it? How do I make the boxes? Can I use script from the original js files in the game? (I'm using Sublime for scripting). How do I use them?

4. caethyril

caethyril ^_^ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You'll need a [custom] plugin to create this. Yanfly's Main Menu Manager only links features, i.e. script calls, to items in the pause menu...but this is a full-blown custom scene. Every menu screen (inventory, skill, status, etc) is its own scene, and this one looks no different.

The "boxes" are usually implemented as instances of [children of] the Window_Base class. A scene can contain multiple windows arranged accordingly. Plugins are code loaded after the base script files to extend or override parts of the basic code. You'll need to program the scene and constituent windows, including initialisation and update routines. While possible, I think implementing this is a bit beyond my skill level, so I can't offer much help there. :kaoswt:

5. ScreamingLadybug

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks a bunch, caethyril. At least now I know where to start. I really wanna get this done before I get my demo out there :)