New plugin/fix update automatically?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by LinBE, Oct 24, 2015.

1. LinBE

LinBE Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello guys,

I am totally new to RM. Maybe stupid, I have questions regarding to how the MV plugins were distributed. 

• Now I have installed my first RM. But I am kinda scared since I already see there are lots of bug flying around. Althoug some of them are solved immediately, the solutions are not centralized. Is it possible to provide a place, which we can track the update of the plugins?
    • And I am using the steam version, does the plugin will be updated automatically as the steam games are doing?
    Thanks!

Best,

LinBE

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Only the editor can be updated automatically, anything in your project has to be added manually, and that includes updates.

It was decided to handle it this way long ago, because the disadvantages of automatically updating might cause your project to break - for example if you modified the default engine javascript, and one of those files get updated automatically, loosing your edits?

Better you have control of when what gets updatedin your projects, even if that is more work for you...

3. LinBE

LinBE Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I see your point, however I am not convinced. Since all the resource in MV are actually located in every project folder. Updating the main program(including the official plugin/DLC it comes with), won't have any impact on the existing project (correct me if I am wrong).  

We have lots of plugins from different contributors, I think it is a big effort to just check every plugin is up to date. If we update the plugins via steam, which is centralized, at least, every user when we start a new project, we know that we have the latest plugins. 

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So updating the main program with its plugins will not fix the plugins in your project folders you have already started, and you will still have to make all that effort.

Only the original plugins are available with the download via steam. As people add their own, they will not be getting added to a "master package". And if they were, it would be a nightmare trying to coordinate it - there would ALWAYS be updates, and sometimes the updates would have bugs.

It is just easier/better for you to locate the plugins you want to use, and add them yourself, which is the way it's done with scripts for the other engines.

5. LinBE

LinBE Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I also agree it is not a must. But as a suggestion, could you pin a post, which provides links to all the official plugins? And all the plugins/fix information should to be logged in the post. At least we can easily find out where is known bugs/where to check the update of plugins without going through all the posts in the forum.

6. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I mean, it could've been decided to allow the user to choose "automatic updates" for each individual plugin (or just one option for all) with it being off by default. That would've been better than just deciding "No to all automatic updates." Oh well, something to think about for the next RPG Maker I hope.

7. erikmidnatt

erikmidnatt Mercenary Wizard possessed by an Evil Spirit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    lets be honest, after launch fades into memory people are going to be using tons of plugins by random people who have no connection the the launch. Are they somehow going to get added to a whitelist of people who can push updates to people? Nopers.

It's a big effort to get things approved that you distribute to customers. The company doesn't need their hands tied in third party plugins.

Shaz likes this.
  8. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh h.....l no!  You do not want that. Trust me.

You have plugins X, Y, A, and Z.  Plugin Y gets updated. This changes something that alters the behavior of plugin A.  NOTHING in a project file should ever be changed by anyone other than that project author. One man's 'bug' is anothers 'feature'. Workarounds may stop working. Pain and Sadness. Misery and Woe. Dogs and Cats cuddling together....

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is a Plugin/Javascript Releases forum. I will be putting all my plugins there, even the ones that were shipped, as some of them are bound to be updated. Hopefully others will put theirs there as well. And someone is working on a database that will let you easily find plugins to suit your requirements - not sure when that will be ready, but we'll let you know when it's available.

10. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I do want that Mouser, they could include a GUI that shows when plugins got recently updated so you knew which ones were and could easily identify and redownload older versions should updates cause any issues.

Thanks Shaz, I look forward to it.