New project with just the files needed won't playtest - help?

Indra

RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wanted to start a new project using POP Horror set, and planning on using custom BGM, SFX, etc. So I thought it would be a good idea to just open a new project, and then delete everything I don't think I need (audios, animations, imgs, etc), and copy paste the DLC contents into the relevant folders. I worked on my first map, drew everything no problem, insert my player, and when I hit the playtest button, the game window pops up but just "now loading..." and blank screen.

My question is, what files in the basic default folder could I've deleted that were really necessary to run a game properly?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if it were simply a missing file, you would have gotten a message "unable to load file XY", it has to be something else.
Either you deleted control files (like the json, js and html files) or the filepath does not follow networking rules.

can you tell us the full path from drive letter to index.html of where your project is stored?

Indra

RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar, if I understand you correctly, the answer is:
Documents > App - RPG Maker MV > Misteri Kampus > Misteri Kampus > index.html

I'm on a mac and steam btw if that matters

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Many of those directory names don't follow networking rules, which could be what is going on. For example, spaces are not allowed in directory names under those rules. So you may want to move the project to a directory which follows all of the rules, and see what happens.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Indra
as said, most of your directory names are including spaces and that makes them incompatible to networking rules.
However, you did not start the filepath with the drive - documents is a subfolder below the username even on MacOS, so any folder above it up to the drive name needs to follow networking rules as well.
If changing the directory names you listed so far does not solve the problem, you need to either change the directory names above documents (which would be problematic if the username is the problem) or move the project folder outside of the documents folder to a path that has no spaces between drive name and final project location.

Indra

RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp @Andar, I tried renaming the game folder to MisteriKampus, but still doesn't work. It's now like Documents > App - RPG Maker MV > MisteriKampus > index.html. The funny thing is, I have my other projects stored in the "App - RPG Maker MV" folder and some of them have spaces in the folder name but they can work :(

Additional info, when I tried playtest the first time, it prompted it couldn't find img > system > shadow1.png, so I renamed shadow.png to shadow1.png, but now it's just blank window, or just "now loading..."

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
App - RPG Maker MV isn't following networking rules. You probably won't be able to just rename that one as it will break some things, that's why I suggest moving to another directory.

Also just renaming a file doesn't fix a missing file error, especially if the renamed file isn't the right format. You may want to look at the project and see why it was calling shadow1 in the first place.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillispThe funny thing is, I have my other projects stored in the "App - RPG Maker MV" folder and some of them have spaces in the folder name but they can work
The problem here is that all OS try to give the browsers an override to get non-networking access to work, but that override is not always successful - and will cause problems especially when going multiplatform because different OS use different forms of overrides.

And it is not guaranteed that there is no other error causing this - but bughunting requires you to solve all bugs when discovered, because often one bug can hide the cause for another bug.

For example what you did with "shadow.png" and "shadow1.png" is an example for hiding bugs (very bad decision) - if a file is listed as missing, that means that you have a reference for that file somewhere in the engine. Giving a different picture for that will hide the error message but not solve the original error (the wrong reference). And that wrong reference might cause other problems, but now you can no longer find that because you've hidden the error message without checking where it was missing.

Indra

RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright thank you for your explanations, I'll try to be more careful when renaming or deleting files. In the meantime, I'm just gonna make a new file, and keep all the default files, and try to clean up when the project is ready to package.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I suggest you copy all the img/system files back, as they are not things you can remove unless you change the scripts. Also, there is a Shadow1.png and Shadow2.png file - not a shadow file. Make sure you name them correctly - shadow1.png and Shadow1.png are not the same file, so if you gave it a lower-case 's', it will not work.

When you play, hit F8 and go to the console (if that still works on a mac) - it'll tell you what's not working. If you have added any plugins, they could also be the cause.

If you remove any of your audio files, make sure you go into the System tab and remove them from there as well. Same with the vehicles, actors and enemies, and anything else that uses images or sounds.

You can't really remove all the default resources without having to go into the database and make a lot of changes there.

Indra

RM Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, noted, thank you @Shaz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

When you discover great tileset resources that you completely forgot that you had. :kaomad3::kaopride:
Just got a better look at the MZ RTP. I'm very happy with it, especially the sci-fi tiles and sprites. Glad I pre-ordered.
I've just checked the VisuStella Plugins for MZ and there are already 11 plugins. The Yanfly team(perhaps a big one?) really works so effectively and efficiently that some MZ users can likely use tons of Yanfly plugins right after MZ's released (still 13 days from now). I wonder if any other plugin developer(or team) will try to compete with Yanfly this time, no matter how slim the chance to win is :)
Hello! :kaopride:I am new to RPG Maker, though I have been lurking the forums for a while. :kaoswt: Hope to make some friends and learn some stuff here! :kaothx:
And now since I've got the whole game parts working, the *contents* await.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linkvaovn88com