Ragpuppy87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When beginning a new RPG Maker project, what is the one thing you look forward to the most and the one thing you
always dread?

mishakoc

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I look forward to mapping, then messing with tilesets and sprites in a graphic program, drawing busts, then eventing.
The part I am always worried about and struggle with is making the story.

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Usually when I'm starting a new project, I have something in mind that I'm burning to create - generally either a single overarching Mechanic, or an imagined Place that I want to show off. Or both.

What I always dread is that moment when I have to sit down and write "real" narrative/dialogue (as opposed to placeholder stuff) that people will read. I feel like I'm exposing myself in ways that I don't want to, when I do that kind of earnest writing.

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I always look forward to the art and writing. Mapping not so much, but I don't hate it either. My problems are with all the gameplay related stuff. Things like balancing, making the features fun, hunting for bugs...

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looking Forward to: Mapping, Eventing*, Storywriting*, Gameplay Mechanics Workshopping

Dread: Almost Everything Visual (Tilesets, Animations, Battlers, sometimes sprites), Eventing*, Storywriting*, SCRIPTING.

*= Depends on if I get burned out or not. Thankfully, with the project I'm currently working on, the hard part's over.

Last edited:

BlackGoldSaw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Look foward to: Eventing, programming, balancing, database stuff, story writing, gameplay mechanics.

Dread: All the visual stuff. Mainly the sprites. I. HATE. MAKING. SPRITES. Nothing burns me out faster.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Finishing it is to be expected
and illness and computer/vampire bug invasion eating everything in my life is what I dread since I can't finish a thing when they start.

MessiahComplex

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Look forward to: All things writing

Dread: mapping, balancing

Sometimes I think I should just write a book, but in the end the visual component is very important to me, even if the process of making it can be arduous

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Look forward to: Art, adding cool stuff.
Dread: Sprites, making a coherent story.

woootbm

Super Sand Legend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Look forward to: Writing (world building, character design, story, dialogue, set pieces), Combat design (skill sets, theorycrafting, balancing), Planning (wishlisting, brainstorming)

Dread: Anything related to coding, Cutting things (sometimes really cool ideas have to be let go), Re-writes (no idea why this is so hard for me when I otherwise love writing), Management/Producer stuff (having to tell someone on the project to redo something suuuucks)

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Look forward to: Finishing a demo that I can show off, and/or eventually the complete game.

Dread: the inevitable moment when the work becomes a chore. Because that’s usually when I give up or put the project on ice. And it’s painfull and soul crushing every time.

Basileus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Look Forward To: Combat mechanics, dungeon design, puzzles, world-building. I spend a lot of time thinking up new mechanics - cool stuff to make more interesting choices in battle or more fun ways to move around on the map - and I really like designing all the locations in the game to feel different, like giving towns different architecture or making NPCs doing every day tasks to make the game world more interesting to explore.

Dread: Plot. I'm just not great at organizing all my ideas into a coherent plot for some reason. I think up dramatic or comedic scenes and I can use eventing to make them happen, but actually plotting out the course of the plot, and making sure everyone has actual reason to be doing what they are doing, and making sure there is an actual, clear goal to be working towards at all times without slowing things to a glacial pace...well, that's all stuff I'm working on for my current project. I guess I just need better writing skills to make my mechanics and scenes actually work.

Neutral: Database. I don't mind making all the items, switches, variables, abilities, etc. and can do it just fine, but there can be a ton of it so I can't say I actually look forward to doing it.

astracat111

Astra Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looking for to: Writing Characters and Story Parts + Music
Dreading: Debugging/Playtesting (as in, seeing your sh*t over and over and over and over and over and over and over, and yet there's STILL that one little thing that could be better or isn't working that you've gotta dig up everything and fix)

Shikamon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looking to: Write the story and build the world via mapping.
Dread: Database, maybe I am just sick seeing numbers and calculations because I already did it at work. haha :)

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Lookin' forward to: literally everything. The possibilities are boundless, but eventually, I will lean myself to all things visuals
Dread: (if solo) time management and schedules / (if in a team) uncooperative partners

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I look forward to developing the story and making the world develop through maps and music and sounds.

I dread trying to figure out how to do the complicated things I always decide to do, battles, puzzles, database stuff.

It can be really confusing when you're trying to weigh your own ideas with what you think might be fun to the player.

Darkanine

...In my thoughts and in my dreams...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually enjoy mapping...what I do not enjoy is the inevitable stress it causes when I freak out over every little tile and whether or not I should Parallax map or not. Sound design and music too. I am not acoustically inclined...

What I do look forward too is writing characters, character dynamics, background characters, non-player characters and background to characters. Did I say I like writing for characters? Because I do!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The main character of the book)
Things you can say about your rpg maker project but not your bf/gf: I'm not super committed but it's fun to play around with it.
putting a puzzle in my game that BSODs the player's computer if they complete it
I finally got a book out the door after seven years of nothing \^-^/ Now if I can get a game out the door too, that'd be great...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tharene