New RPG Maker coming soon? What do you think?

Creative Ed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's been 5 years since the release of RPG Maker MV, it trully is a great engine, but you may have noticed that we haven't got new updates in quite some time, and not much is going on to improve the engine really. So I guess a new RPG Maker is coming out?

If so, do you think this one will finally be in 3D? (feels like the obvious path moving forward) or will it be 2D as always?
What new features do you think the program will have?
How do you feel about a new RPG Maker, what kind of whacky stuff would you like to do in it?

Personally, I think the new RPG Maker will be in 3D (I was right about the plugins feature before MV came out!). There are already a few other 3D RPG engines that prove that there is a market for that kind of functionality. The new RPG Maker will need a new selling point, MV's was Plugins and multi-platform, VX was optimization and simpleness, XP was the introduction of scripting. This time the selling point will probably be 3D.

But that's my opinion. What do you think?

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I've been itching to buy MV recently, but I don't want to buy it only for the new one to come out.

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't see the next maker being 3D, at least not fully. Unreal recently made one of it's older iterations free to develop with, there's already a bunch of 3D game making software.
Even Blender has game making 'plugins'.

Plus, I feel like that would really interfere with one of their biggest strengths, which is a cohesive development community, that knows the general product and has been working with it for years and years.

I don't think it's unreasonable to see an new RPG 'soon', but not too soon. Not this year, and maybe not a release next year. Kadokawa has also released other 'maker' properties since MV came out, just not necessarily in the main RPG Maker line of products.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's already Smile Game Builder which already looks like 3D version of RPG Maker.
So I don't think RPG Maker are not going that way yet...

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, at some point they'll release a new engine for sure. Not sure what it'll be but I'm pretty sure it won't be exactly what we want and/or expect it to me. There'll always be something left out that'll make the community go "waaah!? Why didn't you include this!?!".

Personally I hope that if there is a new engine on the horizon that they make a lot of the features more easily changable without programming. like being able to drag around the menu windows and arrange them the way you want or something like that.

Because the engine lost a good number of talented script/plugin makers during MV's lifespan that I don't think we'll be getting back and IF the next engine for some reason allows even less manipulation (like how mapping got worse from XP to VX for simplicity's sake), then I don't think that'll be good for Kadokawa.

That being said. I kinda liked the visual scripting aspect of the Pixel Game Maker engine since it allowed me to make my own engines and stuff, much more easily than to learn JavaScript. So if they did something like that then that could be neat.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think it's a high priority for Kadokawa to make a new RPG Maker for the next couple of years, because of all their other projects under way.

I think the next version will stay mainly 2D, but with higher built-in capacities for resources and possibly built-in options for action RPGs and tactical strategy RPGs.

V_Aero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because the engine lost a good number of talented script/plugin makers during MV's lifespan that I don't think we'll be getting back and IF the next engine for some reason allows even less manipulation (like how mapping got worse from XP to VX for simplicity's sake), then I don't think that'll be good for Kadokawa.
Yup, I actually thought the same.

I think with MV they finally made a very robust Game Engine as we can deploy our games on multiple platforms. And as the exported game is 100% JS, we can do anything. We even have note tags.

But what I really want to see in future is that the Maker itself gets modifiable. You know, Yanfly Engine is great, but we always needs to play with Note Tags. It would be great if some dropdowns like Item Types, Physical/Magical.. could be customizable. And why don't we have Self Variables? Or more complex conditions on an event page? Or a Questlog?

The Map editor should support a button to just add a new layer with any mode (A, B, C, D, E and R). Region Tiles are great, but with only one layer, having multiple plugins can become difficult. Grid-free support would be cool, too.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's been 5 years since MV came out, but there has been another engine released more recently.

I wouldn't expect a new one to come out anytime soon, and I certainly wouldn't expect it to be 3D.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
do you think this one will finally be in 3D? (feels like the obvious path moving forward)
actually it would be a very bad decision to go 3D for the RPG-Maker. It has been discussed several times in the past and you can still find those discussions with their arguments for "never 3D".
Only those new users who never thought about the consequences are arguing for 3D...

First point against it is the workload of adding new resources for the community.
In 2D basically any child can try to make new tiles to use in the program with a hundred different image programs.
How many people have the skills to make a new model in 3D by comparison?
You would destroy one of the big reasons for the community by going to 3D.

Beside that it would be commercial suicide for Degica/Kadokawa. In 2D they are on the top of a niche market - it might be smaller, but there is no one who even threatens their #1 position.
In 3D they would start at zero and would have to fight for their market shares against experienced engines like Unity. And that zero would include a buggy program because it also means their programmers have limited experience in what could go wrong.

ave36

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's already Smile Game Builder which already looks like 3D version of RPG Maker.
The Smile Game Builder has no scripting capability. This makes it much less useful than RPG Maker.

Creative Ed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Only those new users who never thought about the consequences are arguing for 3D...
Well, I'm no new user that's for sure xD
Like @ave36 mentioned above there's the Smile Game Builder Engine that honestly is taking sales away from RPG Maker, and why? Because they allow 3D, but not only 3D, you can actually do a 2D game over there if you want to as well.
I honestly don't think it would be that hard, most people just use the pre-made assets, and it's not like they couldn't add the option to add 2D sprites (like SGB does).

Also there's no need to compare RPG Maker with other mainstream game Engines, the software doesn't gain from being 2D, there are already 3000 other better options for 2D engines, what gives RPG Maker its own market is the ease of use it provides, as long as they keep that going, they'll keep the sales. And making the program run 3D is not really a threshold that will make the software suddenly difficult to use.
Programing all the stuff that goes behind JRPG takes a lot of work and that's what RPG Maker does well, that's why I choose it over others.

But what I'm saying is if there will be a time when they'll release a 3D version, it is close and may be the next one.

But what I really want to see in future is that the Maker itself gets modifiable. You know, Yanfly Engine is great, but we always needs to play with Note Tags. It would be great if some dropdowns like Item Types, Physical/Magical.. could be customizable. And why don't we have Self Variables? Or more complex conditions on an event page? Or a Questlog?
Yeah I think they could definitely expand the range of plugins or how much plugins actually affect the program itself. If they're going with a 2D RPG Maker again, I'm hoping this is where they'll put effort into. Imagine what it would be like to add new commands, or actually mod the editor itself in some ways.

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
There won't be new one any time soon sine they're going to realese Mv soon on Swtich, imo.

Nenen

Untested RPG storyteller
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
3D is a different world, you have to try it if you don't understand how much harder it is.
If they decide to go 3D, they could ruin their reputation honestly. Although alot of other 2D engines have gone 3D, so who knows whether it's in the cards.
Hope the new one gives a lot more customization, out of the box versatility, and brings back the good features from older engines. How many people have asked for the older mapping system again? :p

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From what I've seen, the work is probably split between MV Trinity and going into a different maker that definitely needs a lot of love and updates. It's not "the next RPG Maker", but that seems to be the one that's being focused on right now.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also there's no need to compare RPG Maker with other mainstream game Engines, the software doesn't gain from being 2D, there are already 3000 other better options for 2D engines, what gives RPG Maker its own market is the ease of use it provides, as long as they keep that going, they'll keep the sales. And making the program run 3D is not really a threshold that will make the software suddenly difficult to use.
Programing all the stuff that goes behind JRPG takes a lot of work and that's what RPG Maker does well, that's why I choose it over others.
Have you ever use an engine that uses both?
Have you ever think of how different the asset would be?
Have you ever consider how the code does look like?
Have you ever consider how the community made the plugin?
Have you ever consider how to keep all of these features still ease to use?
Have you ever consider how would they go about making the default resources? Making both 3D and 2D?

You haven't answered the problem pointed out by Andar. Your solution is simply just "well, make it toggleable. Problem solved". It isn't. Every added feature makes the software more complicated even if all of this stuff is optional. Not to mention, the complicated base code would add up to the point it is even harder to maintain or create a plugin.

Let's look away at a different angle, not about 3D, but a feature that we always wish to add
  • Tileset size change
  • Pixel movement
The problem with one, tileset change
  1. The editor now needs to be able to incorporate with the tileset size change. Can you change the tileset size in the middle of the development, or should you decide the tileset size when creating a new project? If you can change the tileset size in the middle of the development, how would the editor handle it without messing up your project? If you think "That's the dev fault for changing the tileset size in mid-development", then it's unacceptable. Remember, ease to use.
  2. Workload to create resources. No standardized resource means every artist needs to create every possible tileset size when providing the resources, especially when they're selling them. Else, there would be folks with pitchforks demanding different sizes of their asset since they use different kinds of tile sizes.
  3. Scripting or plugin making. If you never make one, let me tell you one of many reasons why plugins are usually never compatible with each other. The problem lies within the base code itself. The base code was bad that every plugin maker has their own philosophy to fix the base code and create their own "Core Engine" to fix the base code itself. Now, add more mess by adding "toggleable" tileset size. Same with the second point, it needs to be able to incorporate with tile size change for whatever reason.
Now the problem with pixel movement
  1. First off is to create the collision. Granted, you can just use a collision box and call it a day, but that would be a half-assed pixel movement.
  2. Now you want to add pixel collision, because why not? That seems like an obvious path to move forward, alright, but that would be complicated stuff. How would you add that to the editor? You draw the collision data like when you'd draw a pixel in ms.paint. But then you think "Maybe, not all people want a pixel collision, so put a toggleable". Both the editor and the game code would be so different. Not to mention the map data structure that is generated to handle both cases.
  3. Next, the set move route command. In the grid-based movement, it's easy, move two tiles. Now you need to replace that with "move 20 pixels to the left". How does the editor look like?
  4. Add the same problem with 3rd point on the tileset size change.
Translate all of these with 3D and you're basically getting the same problem if not more.
With the standardized 2D engine with a certain resources standard, it is easier to follow.

And yes, there are 3000 other options for 2D engines, and RPG Maker just aims for the niche people who want to make RPG. This 3000 other options for 2D engines are probably suited for something not to RPG. Like, IDK... tower defense? shoot-em-up? basically every game that needs customization build from scratch. And if you're making Arena Shooter, RTS, or Turn-Based Strategy in RPG Maker, you probably might as well as just use one of these 3000 engines.

Like @ave36 mentioned above there's the Smile Game Builder Engine that honestly is taking sales away from RPG Maker, and why? Because they allow 3D, but not only 3D, you can actually do a 2D game over there if you want to as well.
I'm intrigued by this claim. Any proof I could follow?
I'm not looking for a confirmation bias like "Because it allows 3D so it does better", but an actual fact.
P.S: You could DM me because it probably "sensitive" materials since we're in the official RM forum.

But what I'm saying is if there will be a time when they'll release a 3D version, it is close and may be the next one.
AFAIK, the console version of RM is already in 3D, so why not wondering why they didn't port it to PC?

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with the others in this thread: 3D would be too complicated for both the users and the developers. The beauty of the current RPG Maker engines is that it is very easy to learn and use, and it can be extremely powerful for more experienced users with plugins.

RPG Maker is also currently very versatile. You can create a lot of different stuff with it. If you go 3D and you want to make it easy to use for everyone, you are going to sacrifice that versatility.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
3D would be awful. It's hard to do 3D right and make it look good. It takes a lot of effort and is much more difficult to customize the assets. It's just not worth it, in my opinion.

I do think an Action RPG Maker should totally be in the works! I'd go for that in a heart-beat.

Personally, I really like RPG MV, and hope they don't make a new RM for a long while. Rather, I'd prefer more assets/DLC on tilesets.

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It was soooooo disappointing to read this thread and not see any mention of MV3D whatsoever. 3D has already been achieved in MV, along with support for pixel-movement, diagonal movement, and a whole bunch of other stuff. The next update for the plugin will reportedly feature the ability to import 3D models into your game, either as player/event "sprites" or as location decoration/beautification.

But even without 3D models, games made in MV3D look surprisingly good; I'd recommend checking out Fractalis or the pumpkin one (I can't remember the name) for an idea of what can be done.

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because it is not exactly a 3D.
Hey, the thread is about making a 3D RPG maker. You can do that with MV3D, so it's definitely worth discussing IMO, even if it's not the Creation Kit, Blender, Unity or Unreal. The point isn't to make RPG Maker into one of those, as that would be completely opposed to the goals of this franchise.

And, last time I checked, it did have a z-axis, so it's definitely 3D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Is it strange that dropping acid is improving my game development?
I'm starting to wonder if I should go the Half Minute Hero route with my game. The character's main weapon is logistically way too strong. So I can't really let the player continuously grow it.... But if they had to build it up each time like HMH, that could work. Also it lets me take advantage of my randomly generated maps so much more. Hmm... This could work! :LZSexcite:
std::vector, std::map and std::string. Three reasons why I'd take C++ over C. :D
Today, 1,932 RPG Maker fans died from being too wow'ed. May they rest in peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rafane