New to Ace, and I have noob questions.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Blair Pendragon, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Blair Pendragon

Blair Pendragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Heya everyone, as the title suggests, I'm new to RPG Maker VX Ace.

I started recreating my RPG Maker XP game onto VX Ace, and of course, I ran into a load of problems.

(also I'd like to avoid scripts if possible, except for the last question)

Let's start with the most annoying one...

(1)Tilesets... Primarily answered.

(2) Classes... Answered

(3) Set Movement Route... With Frequency at max, and speed at max, I'm seeing small delays between steps, when I would like to keep the movement fluid.

(This is because of an event that checks to see if it is ok to keep moving, rather than a preset number of spaces, set to "set movement route". A better explanation is at the bottom.)

(4) TP... Answered

(5) Side View Battle. Answered

Thanks in advance if you have any means to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
  2. Levi

Levi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't understand the question. You want someone to explain the Ace's mapping system?

All the features/traits available in the "Class" table can be utilized at the "Actor" table as well. So you can have Class attributes, and Actor attributes... independent of each other. So... a guy could be a warrior. He's "allowed" to use axes. But on the "Actor" table you can add "Equip Sword" so that He can use swords as well as axes... even though the Warrior Class only allows Axes.

Set the "Frequency" to High or Highest for the Player before and during the fall, and set it back to normal afterwards. Also, you can do Var = Terrain Tag. Under the 3rd tab, in the Control Variables Menu there is "Get Location Info". From there you can set a variable to receive Terrain Tag info.

I don't quite understand this question. Can you elaborate? Maybe get us some screenshots?

Not that I'm aware of.

Plug n'play: http://www.rpgmakerv...mple-side-view/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2012
  3. Ronove

Ronove ♫꒰・‿・๑꒱ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  4. Blair Pendragon

First Language:
    English
    Ok here is what I did, I opened up the resource manager, and used the literal tilesets from XP.

And now They all became autotiles, when they were not meant to be.

Well some didn't...

How do you know which zone is for autotiles and which is not?

How do you set up which are layer1 and which are layer 2?

any guides on how to create auto tiles, since I could never really figure them out.

I used the frequency feature, and it did nothing to effect this. Either at lowest or highest. Seems to only effect NPCs.

As for the terrain tag, I know you can set it up through 3 variables. Get X, Get Y, check X and Y. Just wish I could set it to 1 variable to make it less cluttered :p

a screenshot wouldn't really show what I mean. The best way to explain this, would be to make an event where a player is moving to the right.

They are on a long road, and continue to walk to the right, never ending.

while this is happening, lets pretend credits and stuff are happening.

the player should NOT be able to move during this scene... yet between steps, they can move in any direction they want to.

it would look like this.

Left > Left > Left > press up, and move UP> Left > Left >Left >presses down and moves down...

thanks for your response ^^

5. Blair Pendragon

First Language:
    English
    Nah, I don't mean mapping.

I mean going into Photoshop or MS Paintbrush, and literally drawing up tiles.

If I draw 1 block that is grass, and 1 block that is a rock, when I go to open it up in Ace, it links the two together, as if they are autotiles.

these "rules" are invisible, and was wondering if anyone had a visual to show me where "Autotiles" are (if there are spaces for non autotiles) and where layer 1 and 2 are on a blank canvas.

6. Ronove

Ronove ♫꒰・‿・๑꒱ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For your event troubles, do you have the event set as Parallel Process or Autorun?

You shouldn't double post! :o !

The rules aren't invisible, they are set up different than XP. Check out the link, it explains the different tilesets (A1-A5 are all ground tilesets (A1 is animated autotiles like water, A2 is ground autotiles, A3 is houses (in autotile), A4 is walls (in autotile), A5 is normal ground tiles). B-E tilesets are all second layer. They all have defined sizes too so you should look at the default tilesets in VXAce and you can figure it out from there. It's not invisible.

7. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
  8. Blair Pendragon

First Language:
    English
    Didn't mean to double post, meant to edit the one above to include it.

as for the event. what little I did so far is this;

Common event #1 Checks the direction a player is facing, to alter graphics for jumping and falling, so they continue to face the direction they were facing.

Basically check direction, turn on event Left or Right.

Common event #2 Gravity. Literally checks what terrain they are on, and moves them downward until they hit a terrain number of 4 or less.

I put terrain checks in the 1st common event, and multiple times in the 2nd. This didnt effect anything.

In the falling, it checks direction 1st, then checks terrain tag, then sets a loop (didn't need to do this before) where it moves the player down a space. If the player is on a terrain tag of 4 or less it breaks the loop, and returns the player to a normal walking animation.

9. Scinaya

Scinaya ~ Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Blair Pendragon, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Ronove, please use report button next time. :)

As for your question number three. I am not probably able to help very well in depth with it, but I'd suggest you look into regions. As far as I know you can handle region ID very flexible ways. So instead of using in the event the TileID you could try set up regions for the ground.

10. Blair Pendragon

First Language:
    English
    OK, here is the update to my eventing issue.

[​IMG]

I created 2 common events.

The 1st is a parallel common event, that checks the Terrain Tag, and makes it a variable. (lets say the ground is 1, and being in the "air" is a 2)

In that event, I also have a conditional branch.

It checks to see if the player is 2 or higher. (aka in the air, because of a fall or jump)

If the variable is 2 or higher, it turns on a switch.

That switch activates the 2nd common event.

I set it up as an Autorun.

This prevents "walking" in mid air.

The autorun common event moves the player down 1 space, checks the terrain tag, and if the player still isn't on the ground (1) it goes into a loop of "move down".

I set the player to Through on, Direction Fix on, Speed 5(max), Frequency 5(max).

The loop breaks if they reach a variable/terrain tag of 1.

To which the switch is turned off.

The current problem I'm having is the character still makes a small pause between "steps" aka moving down a space because of gravity.

The loop I added helped decrease it from a 1 second delay, to a 2-4 frame delay. (hard to guess how much this delay really is.)

The pause is gone if I make a single event, that moves the character once, for a set number of spaces.

(aka move 5 spaces down, finish)

But with an event that has to check if it's ok to move, after every step, the pause is very noticeable on Ace. (where as it was never there on any previous RPG Maker I played with.)

Is it a 100% impossible to get rid of this pause?