New to MV... how does this mapping system work. Confused on red background that appears sometimes.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Hanamir, May 18, 2019.

1. Hanamir

Hanamir Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used RMXP pretty extensively; I just got MV today. I know the mapping system hasn't had the layer system since RMXP. However, can someone please explain the letters on these tiles?? Does this majorly affect importing tiles? When there was a red background in the RMXP tilesets, I could just put it on second and third layer. In MV, I am on the A level but some of these cliff tiles have a red background I can't get rid of. Why would they be in there if I can't get rid of them? If someone could answer these questions and maybe point me to a solid tutorial on all the basics of mapping in MV specifically that'd be great. Thanks!

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Could we have a screen shot of your tile sheet as it looks in the editor. In my copy of MV no cliff has a red background, so I am unclear which tile you are referring to.

3. Hanamir

Hanamir Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is this just how it normally looks? Like there are a bunch of tiles with these outlines that would look MUCH better at transparent.

There has to be a good tutorial on mapping somewhere here (not how to make good maps, but of the actual mechanism itself)... I just can't find it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The letters stand for the slots of the tilesets, and the different formats they use.

A tilesheet labeled with for example A3 has to go into the slot A3 of the tileset definition.
    If you place a tilesheet into a slot that it is not formatted for (for example placing an A1 tilesheet into the A5 slot, then it will not work and might create those wrong colored places.

B to E use identical formats and can be interchanged, but A1, A2, A3, A4 and A5 are completely different tilesheets that cannot be exchanged with each other or the B-E sheets.

5. SweetMeltyLove

SweetMeltyLove Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can usually press F1 to open the help files