New to Parralax mapping, something went wrong.

Candytrip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I bought RPG Maker MZ recently and downloaded the plugin from Galv - MZ Layer Graphics

I followed a tutorial to make the house you can see in the attached file, everything looked smooth in photoshop but when I startet up the game to see it, all the exteriors, light and shadows had moved a tad to the left

As an easy solution I tried to move all the walls tables windows etc. one bit to the left but it's still a little off.

Does anyone know what I did wrong and/or how I could fix it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• whatdidIdowrong.png
    whatdidIdowrong.png
    1 MB · Views: 15

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are two possibilities:
either you got one of the sizes from or you forgot to disable parallax.

1) mapsize in tiles multiplied by grid size has to be the picture size in pixel for the background. If that formula is not true the map will not fit together.

2) "parallax mapping" got its name because the picture slot used was originally intended to contain a parallax, not a map. Because of that you always have to disable parallax before it can be used as a background for the map. in MV/MZ that can be done by giving the picture a filename starting with !

Candytrip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
there are two possibilities:
either you got one of the sizes from or you forgot to disable parallax.

1) mapsize in tiles multiplied by grid size has to be the picture size in pixel for the background. If that formula is not true the map will not fit together.

2) "parallax mapping" got its name because the picture slot used was originally intended to contain a parallax, not a map. Because of that you always have to disable parallax before it can be used as a background for the map. in MV/MZ that can be done by giving the picture a filename starting with !
Thanks for the quick answer, I really appreciate your help

I tried to put the ''!'' before the images but nothing changed.
So it must be 1) that is the problem.

The map size is 17 width and 13 height, sorry but I'm not sure what the ''grid'' is or the ''picture size''

One thing I noticed is when its open in photoshop there's a little more room to the right than there is on the left. But inside RPG maker there's 4 empty tiles to each side.

Attachments

• photoshopPS.png
    photoshopPS.png
    716.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Image Size.png
    Image Size.png
    189.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Candytrip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for the quick answer, I really appreciate your help

I tried to put the ''!'' before the images but nothing changed.
So it must be 1) that is the problem.

The map size is 17 width and 13 height, sorry but I'm not sure what the ''grid'' is or the ''picture size''

One thing I noticed is when its open in photoshop there's a little more room to the right than there is on the left. But inside RPG maker there's 4 empty tiles to each side.

And here's how it looks inside RPG maker

Attachments

• InsideRPGmaker.png
    InsideRPGmaker.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 14

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
grid size is 48 pixel per tile.
which means that for a map of 17x13 the picture has to be 816x624 pixel.
your photoshop picture has a size of 1015x774 pixel instead - that will never work

Candytrip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
grid size is 48 pixel per tile.
which means that for a map of 17x13 the picture has to be 816x624 pixel.
your photoshop picture has a size of 1015x774 pixel instead - that will never work
I see.

But where do you see it is 1015x774?
Because the picture I attached with the image size, says next to dimensions that it is exactly 816x624

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that is the size I get in the details when I download the attached picture from you.

Candytrip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
that is the size I get in the details when I download the attached picture from you.
I have no idea what I am doing wrong, I tried to make a similar map again. This time adjusting the resolution before I startet working. And this happened

Attachments

• secondtry.png
    secondtry.png
    1 MB · Views: 8

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know if this'll help or not but I'm clueless enough that I do weird things to make stuff work. Here's what I'd do if I were in your situation and stuck (again, weird clueless person here):

1) Export "Item Shop" map from RPG Maker (right-click map name in left map list pane) and open in Photoshop.
2) Create a layer over map and work from there. You can try pasting in what you already did but I can't tell if you'll need to rearrange or resize anything.

I know it's not the best answer out there but hope it helps if you're in a pinch.

P.S. I felt hesitant to answer because I don't want anyone to jump all over me that I'm wrong but, hopefully, they'll just ignore this if they don't like it. Good luck with your map and let us know how it goes! :)

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
1) Export "Item Shop" map from RPG Maker (right-click map name in left map list pane) and open in Photoshop.
2) Create a layer over map and work from there. You can try pasting in what you already did but I can't tell if you'll need to rearrange or resize anything.

Yes this, exporting the map and working on it directly fresh out of the editor is the best way to make sure the parallax layer and map layer sync up, as long as you keep the image size the same as map size.

Also be sure you're locking the parallax layers in place so they won't move around while the characters walk.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also be sure you're locking the parallax layers in place so they won't move around while the characters walk.

Ohh, good catch! I never would have thought of that.

Candytrip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't know if this'll help or not but I'm clueless enough that I do weird things to make stuff work. Here's what I'd do if I were in your situation and stuck (again, weird clueless person here):

I know it's not the best answer out there but hope it helps if you're in a pinch.

P.S. I felt hesitant to answer because I don't want anyone to jump all over me that I'm wrong but, hopefully, they'll just ignore this if they don't like it. Good luck with your map and let us know how it goes! :)
I'm pretty sure that's what I've been doing from the beginning

I followed this tutorial by LvL Up Design:

Parallax Mapping in RPG Maker MZ

unfortunately I got some long working days coming up, but I'll try to night to follow your tactic by doing clueless stuff till it works :)

Yes this, exporting the map and working on it directly fresh out of the editor is the best way to make sure the parallax layer and map layer sync up, as long as you keep the image size the same as map size.

Not sure how I lock the layers, but they are not moving while I'm in the game, just stuck weird places.

Thank you both for your help I really appreciate it

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just remembered a third possibility that could cause this:
have you used any plugin to change the screen size?

17x13 tiles is default screen size, which is why I didn't think of this at first.
But the screen size is the minimum map size, and the engine always had problems with displaying maps if they are too small.

so if you had increased screen size to more than 816x624, then you need to increase all your maps to the same minimum.

Candytrip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I just remembered a third possibility that could cause this:
have you used any plugin to change the screen size?

17x13 tiles is default screen size, which is why I didn't think of this at first.
But the screen size is the minimum map size, and the engine always had problems with displaying maps if they are too small.

so if you had increased screen size to more than 816x624, then you need to increase all your maps to the same minimum.
I only have the plugin from Galv - MZ Layer Graphics

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MZ also has a screen size option in the database, on system 2 - did you change that?

Candytrip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
MZ also has a screen size option in the database, on system 2 - did you change that?
I did not change that.

I just stumbled across a forum with a post named ''Photoshop: Images not saving at right size and resolution''

Maybe someone in there have the solution to the problem, I will look into that when I get home.

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can you upload a picture of your map properties setting? I think you might set up some wrong note and end up adding offset setting to the layer

Candytrip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Can you upload a picture of your map properties setting? I think you might set up some wrong note and end up adding offset setting to the layer
Sure!

These are the notes:

LAYER_S 0 !Shop1Bottom 0 0 255 0.5 10 0 0

LAYER_S 1 !Shop1Top 0 0 255 5 10 0 0

LAYER_S 2 !Shop1shadow 0 0 255 5 10 0 0

I copied them from the tutorial I followed

Attachments

• MapProperties.png
    MapProperties.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 5

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well everything appear to be in order,although you did mention your map not lining up with the photoshop version, so I would check the size and everything and make sure that everything is correct.

Also you can try to replace the note with this version instead and see if it make any differences
LAYER 1 !Shop1Bottom 0 0 255 0 0 0 0
LAYER 2 !Shop1Top 0 0 255 5 0 0 0
LAYER 3 !Shop1shadow 0 0 255 6 0 0 0

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

A side story is almost getting into the next stage. Almost everything in this game has real-life references.
unfinishedbuildingwip1.jpg
Everyday life is full of absurdity. This is just a reflection.
TFW you discover how the script batching works in VNMaker... after you've had the program for almost 3 years.
hAx6iQ3.gif

Writes that the characters have to climb a mountain.

Realized that I have to draw six sets of models where characters are climbing.

At least I know how to draw something. :)
I'm currently scratching my head on how to design plains. What do I even put in plains? Some trees (but not too many or it turns into a forest)? Grass? A few bushes? That's a bit dull.
I'm looking for tutorials but Google didn't seem to find much (or maybe I have the wrong keywords). I don't know how to map plains and I don't know how to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louarn