New to RPG Maker, need to change actor's graphic in one room only

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Lakri, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Lakri

Lakri Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello there! First of all, I'm as new as new can be to this whole thing. I have no knowledge of any kind of scripting or programming, but I'm trying my hardest to make this work! I'm artsy and creative, but technology is far from my strong points. So please bear with me. ^^;

Here's my issue. I'm making a horror game, and I want the player to be holding a candle in one of the rooms, which is meant to be darker than the others. I have the lighting worked out, but I'm not sure what the best way is to give my actor's graphic a candle to hold. I made a separate actor graphic that it switches to in the room, so she's holding a little candle with a tiny yellow light around her. Great! But when I exit the room, I can't figure out how to revert her graphic back to normal, without the candle. I could do it the same way to reverse the effect, but I had planned to have alternate sprites unlockable for her, which means that I would need the graphic with the candle to change according to which graphic she currently has, and then change back to the correct graphic after exiting the dark room. I'm not quite sure how to do this. Unless there's another way to make it appear that she's holding a candle without actually changing her actor graphic. Any advice?

Dreadshadow likes this.
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Each time her graphic changes, set a single variable to a unique value. Then on your exit event, use a Conditional Branch group to change the graphic based on the value in the variable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
    Dreadshadow likes this.
  3. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would use a Common Event and set a pair of variables, like "Actor Candle Lit" and "Actor Version"  Then inside the Common Event, set the actor to various sprites based on those 2 variables, using Conditional Branches.

Call the Common Event in the events which Transfer the player and from the room(s) where the sprite can change, and you should be all set.

The advantage of doing it in a Common Event is you can change or add new sprites for the Actor in just a few places.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
    Dreadshadow likes this.
  4. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Check my signature.

I made a tutorial game and you should also check the lik I got on @Andar's tutorials too. ;)