RMMV [New Trailer] Darkness of Hope - The Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by rondchild, May 29, 2018.

1. rondchild

rondchild Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia

Darkness of Hope: The Pocket Watch is a side-scrolling RPG with heavy focus on battle and story. The whole production is inspired by various RPGs, such as Legend of Legaia, Time and Eternity, and The Last Remnant. The game adopts a turn-based combat system which is tied to the scenario, meaning every battle you engage will always be unique. Defeat your enemies using various skills and unlock combos to further improve your strategy.
    [​IMG]
    Darkness of Hope: The Pocket Watch combines elements of side-scrolling action and Japanese RPG to create a fun and dynamic experience, both in storytelling and gameplay.

In battle, Eris has 14 techniques (commands) up her sleeve, and those techniques will be arranged randomly according to the battle’s conditions. Eris might act as a striker, defender, or even healer, since each of her techniques has a unique function and effect which contribute to your battle strategy.

Eris is also capable of executing combos by combining her techniques. A combo will deal massive damage, and can be learned through battles, events, or items.

Players will not get random encounter in this game. There is also no leveling system like in common RPGs, so you will not need to grind. Instead, the structure of this game is more akin to a “boss rush” mode. However, you will still find some puzzles to solve and secret items to collect along your journey.

As Eris, the player will visit various location throughout the story, each with its own unique nuance and design. Topped with great soundtracks from both our in-house composer and guest composer Ken Nakagawa (Atelier series, Ar Tonelico), this game aims to be something that is both special and memorable in your memory.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    An old fairy tale tells the story of The Garden of Everything, a place said to be the most beautiful garden in the world. Inside, there lives a witch who could grant any wish. Even wishes that some might deem impossible. But such wishes will not be granted for free.
    How much are you willing to pay for a wish?

You play as Eris, a young agent of an organization called Prismatic. Follow her journey to unravel the secret of a legendary garden and seek a way to grant her impossible wish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In your journey, you will find many memorable characters. These are a few of them.

Eris Percival : The main character of the story. She appears stoic and content about her role as an agent in the organization. But when someone close to her is in danger, she becomes a totally different person who’s ready to throw herself even to the pit of hell.

Elizabeth Ellison : A girl who claims to be “Eris’ besty”. Very lax and gets paired a lot with Eris as her partner at work. Behind her aloof personality, she seems to be hiding something.

Amaryllis Percival : Eris’ older sister. She holds a grudge towards the organization which is currently holding her captive. Also hates her little sister whom she thinks as naive and decisive. What drove Amaryllis to grow so much darkness in her heart?

Iria Percival : Amaryllis’ daughter. A goody two-shoes who is close to Eris ever since her mother stopped paying attention to her. She’s suffering from an illness that makes her weak. It’s said to be incurable, but is that really the truth?

Joakim : Joakim is the supervisor of both Eris and Lisa within the organization who acts as both their boss and their mentor. Described as a man with passion, his personality is rather spiteful and can be unexpected sometimes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ● Unique Battle System
    A story-driven battle system with a combo mechanic inspired by Legend of Legaia. How you fight decides how the story goes. Every battle is meaningful, and you will have to craft a different strategy every time.

● Rich Story
    As a small indie developer, creating a game with a big scale is still beyond our capabilities. Therefore, we decided to focus on the most important thing that made us love RPGs: the story. We pay attention to small details in the script, music, and animation to serve you a story you will remember.

● Dynamic Dialogue Interface
    The dialogues in Darkness of Hope: The Pocket Watch have been meticulously handcrafted with animated interface. This is done to ensure that the storytelling--an important part of an RPG--feels a lot livelier.

● Unique Environments with Several Puzzles
    As the story progresses, Eris will travel to various locations, each with its own unique theme. From ruins to a forest, to secret facilities and underground caves, these environments will affect not only the story, but also the way you play the game!

● High Quality Original Soundtrack
    Our talented composer worked hard to create unique tracks that will enrich your playing experience. Combined with additional music from the composer of Ar Tonelico, we hope to steal a spot in your music playlist someday in the future. Enjoy music from various genres, such as rock, jazz, orchestra, and more!
    This is simply a broad explanation of how the gameplay is going to be. However, you are free to do whatever you see fit in your stage of progression, and explore the game at your own pace.
    [​IMG]
    Eggion wishes to create a game that promotes our country’s culture, to bestow positive light onto Indonesia for the whole world to see. With Darkness of Hope: The Pocket Watch, we wish to inspire and encourage people to chase their dreams and believe that nothing is impossible. Its playfulness will hopefully encourage a sense of adventure in the player and remind them of their youth.

Our goal with Darkness of Hope: The Pocket Watch is not only to create a game that is fun, but also can be viewed as an art. We wish to break the limitations that have been imposed upon us, and exceed the expectations others have for us. We also want our game to be an inspiration to other Indonesian developers, so that they know, they can create the game of their dreams in their own style.

You can help us by supporting Darkness of Hope: The Pocket Watch on Square Enix Collective and our future crowdfunding campaign. Let’s build this story, together!

CREDITS
    Script / Animation / Eventing / Battle / Story : @Kuro DCupu
    Sprites / Artwork / Video / Story : @rondchild
    Proofread : Ayyub Mustofa
    Composer : Dani Irjayana, Chandra Oyuget, Chlea Leslick, #F
    Plugins : DrDhoom series, Yami skip title
    Kadokawa / Degica

Follow us on:
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dohproject
    Discord : https://discord.gg/ek3Eumc
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/eggiondev

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. Kuro DCupu

Kuro DCupu Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @rondchild Thank you for your hard work, and sorry for my carelessness. (He is actually afraid this thread won't get much view)

On a side note, I must inform that the project is the continuation from our last submission for participating on IGMC 2017 :
    Darkness of Hope - The Pocket Watch (IGMC 2017)
    Back then. we have already failed to give our 100% due to the time limit and just submit the game the way it is. Sorry for the false hope... for the incomplete game we gave at that time. Yeah, sorry...

After some time of agony, recovering, planning, and regrouping the gang, Eggion finally started this campaign for perfection to redeem such disgrace. As you can see, many changes have been made compared to the last game. No more rushed quality. This time, we will give our best shot. And your kind support is what will affect our moral and progress.

Eggion is now have their (un)official discord channel open for public : https://discord.gg/Qhc2RsE
    Come and follow Eggion latest update and progress!

NOTE : Another sorry for our messed up english.

Kemsyn and rondchild like this.
  3. Muffel

Muffel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really love your art. I hope you don't rush things and keep things as good as they are (or even better). Can't wait to play this.

And don't get discouraged because things didn't go well as you wanted it to be like in 2017... you can only get better from time to time. =)

rondchild and Kuro DCupu like this.
  4. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This game doesn't look like my sort of thing at all BUT I have to say this is easily one of the most refreshing and impressive looking projects I have seen posted on this site. I wouldn't have known this was RPG Maker if it wasn't posted here. Amazing work.

5. Kuro DCupu

Kuro DCupu Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks! Ron is the one doing the art.
    And you're right. One can only get better from time to time. The project Darkness of Hope actually already have a smaller series that was submitted for IGMC 2014.

Darkness of Hope - Save the Heart of Painful (IGMC 2014)

You can tell our improvement in all aspect from graphic, animation, all the way to the unique game design and feature. Ah, the nostalgia... remind me that was the time Eggion was born.

I guess I get too attached to RPG Maker series ever since ten years ago. Tried other engine, but it just doesn't fit well. Thank you for the compliment anyway~

rondchild likes this.
  6. Kemsyn

Kemsyn Not bad...for a human. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's a really cool looking battle system! Nice artwork too.

7. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow. Awesome looking game. I love the style of the battle system. I'd put down a pledge for this game on a Kickstarter or something.

8. rondchild

First Language:
    Indonesia
    @Kuro DCupu : Thanks for your hard work too! We can do it...and that 2014..though...make me blush xD

@Muffel : Thanks for loving my art! We promise to make something great and break the limitation of rpgmaker!

@VisitorsFromDreams : Thank you! I hope you like to play our game someday! I think.. We have a special mission to make you interest with our project xD

@Kemsyn : Thank you! I hope you can try the full experience of our battle system SOON xD

@rue669 : THANK YOU! Anyaway, you can help us to supporting this project. Vote 'yes' or drop some feedback our entry in Square Enix Collective program. You can visit in here .

Muffel and Kemsyn like this.
  9. rondchild

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Good afternoon, and welcome to the first update post of Darkness of Hope: The Pocket Watch! We are pleased to share that this project has been moving along nicely. We have finished the entirety of Chapter 1 in a short time, including the creation of all assets needed. Many game functions such as the menus have also been done.

Currently, we are tweaking the battle system to make it deeper and more engaging. We can’t reveal too much about it since that will spoil the fun! But have no worries, we are confident that what we’re making is very special and will make you excited.

Below you can see the creation process of a dungeon that we’ve finished. This dungeon is called Graham Ruins, and this is where a large portion of Chapter 1 will take place.

[​IMG]

That’s all for the update so far! Thank you for your continuous support and feedback. They are very valuable to us, and we hope we can deliver the best quality in our game for you. See you next time!

Marquise* likes this.
  10. WriterMonkey

WriterMonkey Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This. Looks. GORGEOUS!

I am very excited to get my hands on a playable version as soon as I can. That battle system looks like a lot of fun!

11. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Very nice original idea we all should go on being cinematographic in there! Well those able to work perspectives! ^^

12. rondchild

First Language:
    Indonesia
    @WriterMonkey , @Marquise* : We're glad that you're interested in our game! Currently we are aiming for a release window of Winter 2018, but we'll also release a playable demo beforehand. Please look forward to it!

Marquise* likes this.
  13. rondchild

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Good afternoon, and welcome to the second update post of Darkness of Hope: The Pocket Watch! We are pleased to share that this project has been moving along nicely.

We’re also very excited to announce that our music department has finished around 90% of the game’s soundtrack. Our team is fortunate to have such talented composers, and we consider the music to be one of this game’s strongest points. We hope to deliver an enjoyable and memorable experience to all of you. One of our composers, Chandra Oyuget Cheung, wanted to share some of his thoughts with you.

“I am very happy to be able to make music for Darkness of Hope: The Pocket Watch. Before this, I had been making music for Kitten Mita, which has a more cheerful and happy atmosphere. Especially since the main theme is focused on children’s story and fantasy. But Darkness of Hope: The Pocket allows me to create much more diverse compositions, much more so in the battle themes. Every battle theme in this game represents an adversary that you’ll face, their personality, emotion, spirit, and darkness.

It’s clear for me that Darkness of Hope is based on a strong vision. Despite the limitations we have, we really wish to pour all of our talent and energy into this game. The team has been communication very well, which has led to a smooth creating process. But making each composition stand out creatively still proved challenging. I think the development of this game is truly a precious learning experience, and I have gained so much knowledge in the process.”

You can hear a sample of Chandra’s work in this video:

That’s all for the update so far! Thank you for your continuous support and feedback. They are very valuable to us, and we hope we can deliver the best quality in our game for you. See you next time!​

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  14. rondchild

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Good night, and welcome to the third update post of Darkness of Hope: The Pocket Watch! We are pleased to share that this project has been moving along nicely.
    Currently, we are tweaking the new animations and interractive movement to make it deeper and more engaging. We can’t reveal too much about it since that will spoil the fun! But have no worries, we are confident that what we’re making is very special and will make you excited.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now… it’s fanart time! We’d like to express our gratitude to our friends who’ve drawn our game’s characters. Thank you very much

Fanart from Vsio NeithR. Eris looks so cute and adorable
    [​IMG]

Fanart from Agustinus. Eris with such a burdenless smile. We hope she can keep smiling like this!
    [​IMG]

That’s all for the update so far! Thank you for your continuous support and feedback. They are very valuable to us, and we hope we can deliver the best quality in our game for you. See you next time!

Biestmann and Marquise* like this.
  15. rondchild

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Good night, and welcome to the update post of Darkness of Hope: The Pocket Watch! We are pleased to share that this project has been moving bit nicely.

I want to share new promotional art, Eris Percival!
    [​IMG]

Eris is an agent of a military organization called Prismatic. As a member of Prismatic's Mage Division, Eris' speciality is handling dangerous missions in a small strike team. Usually the kind of missions which Prismatic would like to hide from public eyes.

Her calm and collected demeanor earned her a nickname among her peers, "Miss Frosty".

And now… it’s fanart time! We’d like to express our gratitude to our friends who’ve drawn our game’s characters. Thank you very much

Another fanart from Agustinus. Iria… why do you look surprised? XD
    [​IMG]

Fanart from @richter_h aka Richter_h. Lisa looks thick and attractive… ahem!
    [​IMG]

Fanart from Imanuel Vicky C a.k.a Invect Art. Ama looks so beautiful and warm!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marquise* likes this.
  16. rondchild

First Language:
    Indonesia