RMMV New Untitled Card Game (Monster Rancher CG Style)

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Sinvergil, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Sinvergil

Sinvergil Villager Member

**UPDATE!!**
    Hey everyone! I am here to post a big update about my card game that I've been working on for a few months now which pays tribute to the Playstation 1 Monster Rancher Battle Card game with some extra things added by me :) . I posted on here a while ago when I first began the project and then took a long break. Its safe to say that I've been working at it hard for the past month and a bit, ironing out a lot of the eventing, optimizing many elements in the game as well as making the enemy AI much smarter. I am pleased to announce that I will be making an alpha version of the game to download sometime in the next month (mid February to early March). I am planning to make the game similar to the YuGiOh PSP games where this card game is a normal part of every day life. It may be in a school setting or maybe not! I haven't quite hashed that stuff out yet. Only the deck creator and the actual card game has been worked on. Every other element is subject to change such as music, names, images, etc.

I will state it right here and now, this game does NOT use a single script! Best way to describe this game is that you are teleported to a map where there are images upon images moving in very creative ways :) . Game is done 100% through common and map events!

Biggest thing I am lacking is a name for the game! I actually haven't really sat down to think on that part yet :) . Any name suggestions would be fantastic! Below is a video of the deck creator and a battle against the current most difficult NPC in the game:

The alpha will have the following features:

- 3 Different NPCs that you can challenge with various AI difficulties which the player can choose from (Normal, Adept, Master)
    - 1 of the 3 NPCs will feature a 'boss' like card battle against a unique single creature with a huge HP pool
    - 'Master' difficulty AI will allow to AI to 'luckily' draw cards that can be used in combos more frequently as well as block/evade more frequently than Normal or Adept. You can think of this as sort of cheating by them but it also adds to the difficulty a bit :)
    - Additionally the boss battle will also introduce player abilities. Note that in the alpha you as player 1 will not have access to abilities. Throughout the game the player will be able to unlock various abilities that can be used in a match. You must equip your ability BEFORE entering a match. Their effects will vary from ability to ability.
    - Ability to gain a form of currency from these battles to buy 'booster packs'. Note these booster packs will not be fancy at all without any animation. More of a method to show you how you can obtain cards in the game to create your deck. I don't quite want the player to have access to the most powerful cards right off the get-go so that the NPC battles become too easy now :)
    - Full deck creator available
    - 6 Monsters to choose from to add to your deck with each having roughly 6-9 different unique skill cards
    - 8+ unique support cards available through booster packs

There might be more in the alpha that I haven't quite planned yet! Enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 5:17 AM
    Mihe, Frogboy, LuckyTiger and 2 others like this.
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't play card games, so I am not your intended audience, but even I am impressed with how smoothly this seems to run, especially as this is still pre-alpha. And all done by eventing too!

Well done.

3. Sinvergil

Thank you Kes! Still working on it diligently to make it even smoother. Lots of work to do such as story and whatnot but the battling so far is pretty good =) . I'll be keeping the world up to date with this project! I'm intending for it to go mobile on android or iOS

4. CrazyCrab

CrazyCrab Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    I've got to say, I'm really impressed by the fact that you managed to make something so complex using events. It looks quite promising.

As for feedback, well, there isn't a demo yet so I can't say much, one thing that stood out to me was the fact that you have a nice font for the card texts yet your menus and messages still use the default one - while having 2 different fonts on the screen at the same time is not necessarily bad (anything more than 2 usually is) , I'd say that the card one looks a lot more professional, I'd replace the default one with it as well. With things like fonts and resolutions it's best to decide early on, as if you do it later you'll need to check all your texts again ot see if any of them are cut off after the change.

5. Sinvergil

Wow I honestly never even considered something like that but now that you brought it up it definitely does make sense. The visual appeal of having the same font would be a great asset to making the whole game and screen look more fluid. I'll definitely give that a spin as I work on it more. I'll hopefully have a demo out sometime in the near future for PC, android and iOS. It might be more of a proof of concept type demo with just a few different opponents and some limited deck creation through booster packs and whatnot which is already fully operational. =)

6. DianteC

DianteC Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, Looks like I found the post :) Here is my response from the update

Well first, it's looking amazing. Secondly, I'd love to help with this project if possible. Now for the review portion, It does indeed look amazing, the flow is good and the combos make it that much more amazing. I would lessen the amount of speech from AI as it seemed to be up for every discarded card, it's a nice touch, just tone it down just a tad bit if possible. Also I feel as if the color of the number for the HP and such clash with the overall colors of the cards. Maybe make them a bit brighter. Furthermore I'd like to make a suggestion to use maybe aekashics battlers for the card monsters, or a few other options I could think of if you're into the 16bit art style. But overall, I'm loving it as I'm a huge fan of card games.

7. eluukkanen

eluukkanen Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I was never big fan of cardgames inside games, but this looks interesting project inside rpg maker mv. Good work

8. Drifter92

Drifter92 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is really cool! :) Impressive its done with no plugins! :o

9. Sinvergil

Giant improvements made to the game! New video is now officially up :) . This is the final polished look I'd like for the card game battle portion. Enjoy!

10. Mihe

Mihe Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Great work on this so far! It looks very promising! :LZSsmile:

I'm working on a card battle game as well haha

11. Sinvergil

Big update #3! Post has been updated entirely :)

12. definite_lee

definite_lee Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Project looks great and I've been paying attention to your updates on youtube. I think you should explain the mechanics of this card battle system or create a tutorial video or something because not everyone has played the Monster Rancher card game, and might not know what is going on.

13. Sinvergil

Good idea! I totally forgot about something so basic thinking but there really is a good deal happening on the screen at once. I will probably release one of those before I release the official Alpha version! Thanks for the reminder!

definite_lee and Finnuval like this.
  14. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is truly impressive!
    Only thing i can critisise is the art not being consistent but i uderstand the troubles there and te choices made! Very impressive!