New User: Cyberpunk Game Possible?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Ookami007, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Ookami007

Ookami007 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm fairly new to RPG Maker and I finally bit the bullet and bought it and starting to go through tutorials but I'm starting to question weather or not it will fit my need.

I want to create a cyberpunk style game set in not TOO distant dystopian future.  So no magic, more guns and gernades, etc.  More hacking, cyberspace combat, etc.

But it looks like the battle systems really aren't setup to do that sort of thing.  It looks like they are more geared towards magic.

Has anyone tried creating a modern or sci-fi style game using RPG maker?  If so, how did you get around the natural RPGMaker predisposition to magic based combat?

Thank you.

2. B34RxJ3W

B34RxJ3W Developer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hacking could probably be done with eventing, or perhaps a plugin.

Like a random number generator that has improved chances of = succesful_hack depending on certain variables & skill.

Cyberspace combat?

You'd probably have to have separate characters & skills/equips.

Plus a parallax background?

All depends on how far you want to push the cosmetics probably.  How in-depth, etc.

I'd definitely say it's possible.

But the stock resources tend to lean towards medieval or rural games.

So you'll probably have to find some scifi sprites, sounds, & animations.

3. Roth

Roth Rogue Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Like what B34RxJ3W said *ww* it's possible but you will need alot resources that's more towards scifi and eventing is a really good tool to achieve almost anything if you dunno Javascript :)  

4. Ookami007

First Language:
    English

Thanks for the reply.  What about combat with firearms.  As I mentioned, it seems geared towards magic rather than modern weapons. 

Thanks!

5. Dalamar

Dalamar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  6. Pine Towers

Pine Towers Knight Hospitaller Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You may look for Hime's Party plugin so you can have 2 independent parties, one for the meatspace and the other for the cyberspace. Look for the SF resources too on your MV folder.

7. Ookami007

First Language:
    English

I didn't even realize that there were SF resources in the MV folder.  I take it those don't get copied over by default?

By the way, I liked your D&D sig link.  That actually looks pretty cool as I would love to do some sort of fantasy game eventually too based off a book idea I never finished.

8. Ookami007

First Language:
    English

I started playing around with the ammo but I'm not sure how that's going to work.  Typically, with a firearm, you have ammo sure, but it's really the magazine capacity that matters more.  You'd never reload a magazine in the middle of a firefight.

But... this is a game.  So I guess we can expect some suspension of disbelief... sort of like any firefight on TV where they fire 25 shots from a gun with a 13 shot magazine.

9. B34RxJ3W

B34RxJ3W Developer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You could have a weapon with say... 

13 uses? 

Then after 13 uses if you have "ammo" in your inventory.   It minuses the ammo from your inventory, regenerates the weapon uses, & plays an animation that looks like reloading?

Or you could just play it like the guns have infinite ammo or something lol.

Make up something in the story of the game ;)

Grenades would probably be easiest as a consumable item yeah :)

Really appreciate all of the communities input :)

I learned a little too lol.

10. Ookami007

First Language:
    English

You might be on to something.  Have an inventory item called 13 round magazine (9mm) or (.45, .38, etc) and using the magazine sets current qty of ammo to magazine capacity (say 13 shots).  So, you'd be dealing more with magazines than ammo, but ammo would still be a factor and you could tell how many shots you have left in the current magazine by looking in inventory.

11. Pine Towers

Pine Towers Knight Hospitaller Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Ookami007, thank you. The SF resources aren't auto-copied when starting a new project to make it quick and light"-er-ish". About the link, it is way out-dated, I should edit the post to add the so many new plugins out there.

And with Yanfly Skill Cost Item you can have an Ammo item.