New Website Looking for Games to Review

Discussion in 'Maker Casual' started by Randor, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Randor

Randor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi, game devs! I recently started a new website called RPG Maker Game Reviews. I've posted a few reviews and am looking for more games to play. Please see the site to submit your game for review. Once I've posted my review, I'll share it in this thread.

Who am I?
    My real name is Steve Wilson. I'm 38 and have always enjoyed retro-style games.

I created and published my first RPG Maker game in 2018, then voluntarily worked on one for another publisher that needed some help. Both have been released on Steam, and my game is available on Google Play as well.

I've always enjoyed fantasy, sci-fi, and superhero stories. If it doesn't have magic, aliens, zombies, or superheroes, I'm probably not interested.

I'm a writer and editor by trade, so I tend to focus on storytelling and clear writing in the games that I create and play. Pure fighting games aren't something I'm interested in, though I do enjoy the strategy of good turn-based combat. I've also seen some great RPG Maker games that use on-map combat mechanics or skipped combat altogether.

For me, writing and gameplay always win out over graphics or fancy coding. But, yes, I do a little coding and can appreciate it when someone has used their technical skills to enhance their game.

How Do I Write My Reviews?

I’m generally a fairly kind reviewer. I want to highlight what’s good in your game. I don’t judge you for being low-budget or using the base resources that come with the software. But I will be honest with readers when I find something that doesn’t work well.

Here are the 10 criteria I’ll comment and score your game on:
    • Story
    • Characters
    • Writing
    • Mapping
    • Art
    • Creative Game Design
    • Gameplay
    • Technical
    • Music
    • Sound
    Each category gets a score of 1-10, with a total of 100 points possible.

I’ll also include screenshots, cover artwork, and any information you send me about your dev team, company, and where to purchase or access your game.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Canini, lianderson, Davox and 6 others like this.
  2. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not quite done yet (probably around July/August), but I'll keep following this thread (hopefully you'll still be active when I'm done!).

Randor likes this.
  3. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I hope I can finish my game by august, and it would be great if you rate it with this score criteria. I will give you the download link once it's done. :D

Randor likes this.
  4. Neo_Kum0rius_6000

Neo_Kum0rius_6000 Not Your Ordinary Guy! Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My game will be done like in this month and its a dosey with custom everything!!!
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/✡️-planet-stuck-3-the-third-dimension-✡️.108167/

Randor likes this.
  5. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Btw I find your grading system very nice. Not a lot of people pays attention to the music, the design, and the sound in general. People usually focus on characters, story and gameplay.

But just for clarification, how do you differentiate:
    • Story and writing
    • Creative game design and Technical

6. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Speaking of technical, I found in the front page of your page that you mentioned the plugin used and switches, how are you going to tell the technical part of the game if the game is hidden behind the encryption?

7. Randor

Randor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Normally, for me, Story is the creative side. Writing is whether you use good grammar and make the story, descriptions, dialog, etc. easy for the player to understand. So, it's about clarity more than creativity.

As an RPG Maker dev, I should be able to tell a lot about how a game was made without seeing the development side. I might not know exactly what plugins were used, etc., but I should be able to tell what's possible with the core software vs. what you would need to use a plugin or alter the script for.

Here's my latest review. It's on De'Vine: Card Battles.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2019
  8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Careful when you reply to multiple people, as we want all of those replies in one post. I merged your posts together.

I also merged your review post as we do ask you to wait 72 hours to post a response if no one else has posted. I know why you wanted to post that separately so others got notified though, but a good solution is to post multiple reviews in one thread.

Randor likes this.
  9. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Fair enough. On top of that, people often use the same plugins (*cough* Yanfly), so it's easy to recognize. However, there are some people like me and @TheoAllen that prefer to code our own plugins/scripts for our project, and like he said we encrypt/obfuscate our code. So I guess that saying "it's a custom battle system" will be the only thing you'll be able to say (for the technical part, not evaluating the gameplay ofc).

Randor likes this.
  10. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Randor likes this.
  11. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, that's fair, but my next question would be what is your criteria for this? What makes 10/10? What makes 1/10?
    If you're only defining it by only plugin/event, I don't think that qualify. Again, you're guessing behind the encryption.

Speaking of which, are you accepting demo project?

MushroomCake28 likes this.
  12. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My concern with the technical grade is a game might get penalized for not adding something they don't need. Not every game needs every system there. And it does still feel like a double up with the Creative side of things too.

But, no review system is perfect either. All will have flaws. I tend to use the same GILMET the CPRG Addict uses, which is also 10 categories from 1 - 10, but it tends to be harsher too, which some will see as a flaw. You can see a review they did here for an example if you wish: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/search/label/Ultima V

13. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp @TheoAllen All grading systems is a bit subjective, so it will never be perfect. On that note, I think that OP's grading system is actually quite faire, since it takes into consideration most aspects of the game, not only the gameplay and graphics, which are the two main criteria that most reviews overuse.

14. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm simply curious :)
    The thing about art, gameplay, the story may differ for each person. But the "technical" can be a little bit more objective. There must be something that draws the line between "implemented well" and "not implemented well". The only thing I can think of is about the performance, i.e, if it lags or not, buggy, or crash too often. But the OP said the technical part is about "using the default engine/plugins" so really I'm just curious, especially when it's about "guessing behind the encryption".

15. Randor

Randor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would agree that everything is subjective. I tend to think of my own subjectivity as being fairly kind and open-minded. I don't need all games to be the same or to pull out the tricks that another game did. I try to rate each game on its own merits, and if it doesn't need something that another game implemented, then it doesn't need it, right?

When I rate Creative Game Design, doing new things can play into it, and yes, the Technical aspect can be a part of it. I'm looking for more than plugins and JavaScript tweaking in that category, though. I'm looking for what makes your game stand out. What makes it different?

@VisitorsFromDreams, thanks. I've added your game to my review queue.

@TheoAllen, I'll review any game that's ready for public release. I can do a private review, but that costs. Check the Services page on the website for more information. Otherwise, I would suggest waiting until your game is finished to make sure it gets as good a score as possible. I know reviews can count for a lot.

16. Elliott404

Elliott404 NotRookieGamedev. NotAdvancedEither. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Randor
    Reading your reviews makes want to finish to finish my 1st project so you can give me some feedbacks I need.

@MushroomCake28
    Heeeyyyyy-- :kaocry:at least with Yanfly's plugins, I can use some of them in editors for variables, switches and make conditional branch events out of them without any plugin commands and script calls to make them work---

Randor and MushroomCake28 like this.
  17. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Elliott404 Yeah YEP are good, but since everyone is using them it's easy to recognize them. And there are limits to them, limits that are non-existent when you're a coder and code everything!

Randor and Elliott404 like this.
  18. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushroomCake28
    What else can we use? Yanfly's plugins are quite effective most of the times for ppl like me who have no experiences with codes (altho I admit, some of are quite complex to use that I need help lol-). And true, most gamedevs use them many times in their projects, but that doesn't mean that their projects are bad.

19. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Elliott404 Yeah I did not call them bad. I actually said that YEP plugins are really good. My point was just that it's easy to recognize them in a game, since OP said he was reviewing the technical aspect of the game and identifying the plugins is part of that (so he said). And don't worry, people who can't code enough to create their own plugins are like 99% of this community, and most of them can still produce very good game. A game is define by its gameplay, not by its coders. The rest of the stuff is just we, coders, trying to be cocky and seek attention lol.

Elliott404 likes this.
  20. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV