New Years RESOLUTIONS Problem T___T

Soatz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Hello dear friends,

even if many people like the new HD 48x48 tiles, I’m very tight to old fancy graphics, with 16x16 tiles!

I’m trying to make a game with extremely low resolution,similar to old SNES cool rpgs
(about 256x224! Awhwawhahwah terrific isn’t it? ^^)

I’ve faced some problems mainly in the menu and the battle HUD, I’ve tried tweaking js/rpg_scene.js and js/rpg_windows.js but my changes had no effect…

What do you think should I do? Do you think that rescaling the classic Rpg Maker MV HUD is the right way or should I consider to design a totally new HUD?

Also if anyone has some tips to design new HUD is totally welcome <3

Thank you so much

Luca

p.s.
The screens I’ve just uploaded use some assets I won’t use in the final game, they are there just for testing purposes!
p.p.s.
I’m a music composer and a sound designer, if anyone can help me I’ll give you the favor :D

one.JPG

three.JPG

two.JPG

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Smaller font size, Multiple lines, multiple message boxes.

That's what actual SNES games did too.

Reaction score
I know your heartache! I love the classic, tiny resolutions. The huge tiles and hud have been a big bump in the road for developing my own snes/gameboy game. 

If your game has simple menus and scenes I would edit the existing hud; removing unnecessary windows and resizing the ones you want to use. 
If your game has a lot of menus I would create a new one from scratch, as you may have a lot of resizing and tweaking to do. 

Some other things that might interest you:

I would use this to make use of bitmap fonts: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/53721-ve-sfonts/
and this might be useful too for making smaller steps: https://github.com/Hudell/mv-plugins/blob/master/OrangeMovement/SuperOrangeMovementEx.js

Last edited by a moderator:

Soatz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Thanks for the tips guys!
Do you know how to phisically resize the existing windows?
I've tried with no success tweaking this parameters in rpg_windows.js t__t

They had like zero effect on the game :/

Code:
Window_Base._iconWidth  = 8;Window_Base._iconHeight = 8;Window_Base._faceWidth  = 32;Window_Base._faceHeight = 32;Window_Base.prototype.lineHeight = function() {    return 6;};Window_Base.prototype.standardFontFace = function() {    if ($gameSystem.isChinese()) {        return 'SimHei, Heiti TC, sans-serif';    } else if ($gameSystem.isKorean()) {        return 'Dotum, AppleGothic, sans-serif';    } else {        return 'GameFont';    }};Window_Base.prototype.standardFontSize = function() {    return 2;};Window_Base.prototype.standardPadding = function() {    return 2;};Window_Base.prototype.textPadding = function() {    return 6;};

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Those changes should have some effect on the game: smaller window borders and things like that.

Soatz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Day 45

I menaged to resize two windows. They still have to open my door. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

zachb wrote on Human_Male's profile.
I know this was months ago, but I don't completely understand the lunatic states program (how you set it up). I just want to apply a stone state (and death) to a character after x amount of time. Can you show me an example of how to set it up?
Wish I could respond to @CraneSoft's latest profile post, but it does remind me. Anyone else out there who likes the Souls series not because of draconian git gud difficulty, but because of its melancholy atmosphere and various cool medieval equips?
I wish I had multiple displays!
one screen feels like using a small table, and the way i usually do things I have a lot of stuff open ...
So annoying !
This one is for all the so-called losers out here :
I like how modern gamers always referring hard games as "The Dark Souls of *Insert Genre*" without ever experiencing a Souls-like game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beldavid