Newbie, and some questions

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by MasterRavager, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterRavager

MasterRavager Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I understand that some of these may already have been asked, but if they have, I'm having difficulty finding them and their answers.

First, is it possible to change the animations of your characters? For example, the appearance, the movements, and the framerate (speed of animation)? Also, is it possible to change the character initially, such as, not being chibi and being your own style of creation?

Second, is it possible to have different fighting styles (such as freestyle fighting, http://wiimedia.ign....31105724743.jpg) other than the 'fixed' versions (like clicking a button and watching it play out the animation, http://i.ytimg.com/v...hCa1NWQps/0.jpg)?

Third, can animations/ cartoons/ images be played like cutscenes in certain areas of a game to further enhance the storyline?

I may have more questions later on, if I remember them. And please, don't hate on the noob here. T^T

2. Levi

Levi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

3. MasterRavager

First Language:
    English
    Are there any tutorials/ step-by-steps on how to achieve these? I know how to animate, I just need to know how to 'integrate' them, along with styles, etc.

4. Levi

Levi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There are some... Yes.

Use the search function (top right), or just check out the Tutorial section.

5. Super Galaxy Convoy

Super Galaxy Convoy Supreme Commander Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    1. What do you mean by changing a character's appearance, if you mean changing some colors, then you can use a image manipulator program like GIMP or Photoshop. Just export the graphic that you want to change, then use the image manipulator, then import that graphic back into the program. However, if you mean something like editng part of a character graphic, then the process is still the same, but much harder.

Also, to have non-chibi sprites, you have to create your own spritesets, but it must follow the same set-up as the RTP sets.

2. You can have different battle styles, but you'll need a script to change the default battle system, and to actually show the new battle style for your characters, you will need to create special spritesets for those too.

3. Yes, you can. However, just remember to note the size of the movies files. The larger the files, the more memory it will take up, and this applies to all resources that you plan to use in your game.

6. MasterRavager

First Language:
    English
    What do you mean by RTP sets? Are they like, the dimensions of the images or something?

7. Levi

Levi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    RTP = Run Time Package. It contains the .dll as well as all graphics [edit: and audio] required to play an RM game. So "RTP Graphics" are just the graphics that come default with RM.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  8. Des

Des timefantasy.net Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No, the dimensions are flexible! You can use any dimensions that you like.

What he means is the ordering of the sprites: for example, the downward-facing sprite is on the top row. That's just how the program is able to read the animations correctly. Other than that, there's no reason to stick to the RTP at all. Be creative!

9. Scinaya

Scinaya ~ Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    In addition to what frieza said: custom sheets that are formatted differently are usable, if you have scripts that make it possible. Naturally you can this way add more frames to the animation, too. You can use, by the way, this VX Ace Master Script list as aid for searching the scripts you need.

For battles to get action animations for characters you'd need animated battle script. Victor Sant has one at least and Jet, too.

If you don't find a script suitable for you or you need small tailoring to make them fit your needs, you can make request in Script Requests section.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  10. MasterRavager

First Language:
    English
    This is such a huge list...can anyone tell me which ones would be what I look for? For example, I would like to know how to make the characters bigger than they are by default (For example, instead of being half a speck on the map, maybe make them twice as tall?) And how would I go about making animations for their movements alone?

11. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To make the actors larger, you have to replace the spritesheets for those actors. That is a lot of graphics - if you aren't an artist yourself, you'll probably want to use a different set of spritesheets than the Ace RTP sheets.

There are two alternatives: The better looking one is to purchase the High-Fantasy-Bundles from the store. Just click on the store (top of the screen), then click on resource packs and then on the high-fantasy-bundles. There are a lot of pictures to show you how those graphics will look like.

Another option would be to purchase XP as well as Ace - you can use any RTP from any maker you own in any other maker, and the XP-Style RTP has larger sprites (If I read correctly, I don't own XP myself - check on the sample pictures before purchasing anything).

Concerning the Master Script list - unfortunately no one can tell you what to use, because those scripts are different from each other even if they do the same thing. For example there are half a dozen battle system scripts in there, some for front-view-battles, some for side-view-battles, some for on-map-battles. But we do not know what kind of battle you prefer, so we can't point you to one without specific questions.

12. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    MasterRavager, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Don't hijack someone else's topic, if you've got a question, please create your own support thread.

Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.