Hautamaki

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is 256x256 the hard limit? Is there any way to increase it?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it is a hard limit - theoretically there is a way around it but that way will cause a lot of problems and often results in an instable game.

That said, maps of good games rarely go to that limit, because it is extremely difficult to make large maps that are neither too empty nor too disruptive to the playing.
Just load some of the example world maps as a comparison - the largest sample world map is 140x140 and that one would fit large games that need hours to play (and years of game making)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
While you could try to increase it, keep in mind a few things. One, the bigger the map, the longer it takes to make a *good* map. I made one 140 x 140 dungeon in my game...took 3 days to map and event it. And those were 3 days I had off of work, so it was mostly nothing but working on it.

The other thing is, you really don't need a really huge map for any reason I can see. Andar brought up the world maps of the sample project, but here's another way to think of it. Look at the old FF games. If you were to honestly tile them exactly as they are in those games, I doubt you would go over 140 x 140 in any of those games. Even Final Fantasy 7 (or 8 or 9) doesn't have a 256 x 256 world map (or any dungeon that would be 256 x 256), and no one thought either of those games were too short.

Hautamaki

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It would just be for the overland map; I just like the idea that travelling from one city to another city is actually a significant journey, especially for low level parties. That was one of the things about Dragon Warrior that I liked. Making the decision to set out into the wilderness for a city that you had never been to before but knew existed because NPCs had talked about it and the general way to get to it was serious business.

Yo Ewan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
..Short answer?

No.

Long answer? Not really, but it is theoretically possible. However, you'd need some pretty major JS programming to change the limit, and your game would most likely be very unstable/laggy.
So not really.

If you really need a large map, just do some transfer events on the edges of your map that takes you to a new area.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

one dislike. tragic really ofended me bruh
i only have one decent song and i dont even think it fits for a video game
Update: I finished the combat arena! My goodness, it took a while! There were numerous little bugs to squash.
Maldra wrote on stramin's profile.
Hi regarding the 32 bit -> 64 bit
I am running on a 64 bit windows OS and tried doing this conversion. I converted all of the .exe files that I could find in the KADOKAWA\RPGMV folder using the 4gbpatch.exe file. However, after trying to access RPG Maker MV after this conversion, it simply will not load. Do you have any advice or any ideas?
****ing muscle memory: does anyone else habitually quit out of test play when they notice something they """HAVE""" to fix, in spite of the fact that you can now edit DURING test play?

...thousands of times...

...every day?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aryanyb