Amane Kagari

Knight Regalius of Regisia Kingdom
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like to add to what the others said with some advice of my own. Anyone new to any program should not just jump in and buy all the add-ons they can get without knowing basics. It's not just if you're learning MV. Same goes for real life when you're learning to use a tool, play an instrument, etc., you don't go for the most expensive thing you can buy or any fancy-smancy add-ons. Especially if you don't know how to use the tool itself. (Driving is also a good example. Nobody just goes and buy a Ferari as a new driver. (Though there are crazy people out there that I don't condone.) Master driving first before you get crazy cars.)

Also, there's already plenty that comes for free that you can use to make a test games and I think most of which allows you to edit. (Again, as others have said, read the ToS/"licensing" docs first.) There's like enough free resource that comes with the purchase of MV to make a game or two or three or more. Another words, you really don't have to buy anything to get started. Just play around with those free resources first and get a hang of things. Then if you want, you can buy as many add-ons as you want once you know how to use the software itself. And with that said and done, best of luck to you friend in your game making journeys!

IAmNobody

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like to add to what the others said with some advice of my own. Anyone new to any program should not just jump in and buy all the add-ons they can get without knowing basics. It's not just if you're learning MV. Same goes for real life when you're learning to use a tool, play an instrument, etc., you don't go for the most expensive thing you can buy or any fancy-smancy add-ons. Especially if you don't know how to use the tool itself. (Driving is also a good example. Nobody just goes and buy a Ferari as a new driver. (Though there are crazy people out there that I don't condone.) Master driving first before you get crazy cars.)

Also, there's already plenty that comes for free that you can use to make a test games and I think most of which allows you to edit. (Again, as others have said, read the ToS/"licensing" docs first.) There's like enough free resource that comes with the purchase of MV to make a game or two or three or more. Another words, you really don't have to buy anything to get started. Just play around with those free resources first and get a hang of things. Then if you want, you can buy as many add-ons as you want once you know how to use the software itself. And with that said and done, best of luck to you friend in your game making journeys!
Granted. And I actually did play the RPG Maker game for Play Station 1 for the record a decade or so back, and I was a DM for almost a decade I think.

And while everything you've said is true.... My desire for an expansion back NOW is actually for PRACTICAL reasons... I can't have my character turn into a full blown dragon if I don't have sprit4es for the dragon facing up/down left/right or a profile picture. SO yeah, the descriptions of the expansion packs are vague, and I DON'T want to throw money at all of them loot box style. Do you happen to know if any of the packs contain dragons with a profile picture and a left/right up/down view?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't think there is, but I do know that there are some that exist for free in the resource section. I don't recall where to find them right now, but if you post asking for it in Resource Requests someone should be able to direct you to a few.

You might not want to get too caught up with the particulars of your concept at this stage. Game making is all about compromise and doing the best you can with the resources you actually have, and that's even more true when you're making a first project. If you need something you don't have to make your game, then maybe what you're attempting shouldn't be your first game. If you can't adjust around the race of a character, it's going to be harder to let yourself be willing to let go enough to adjust around failures and problems. First projects are a tricky balance of caring enough to be motivated but not so much that you can't let it go if it falls apart. Most successful game makers don't ever even show their first projects.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
The medieval pack back on Ace has dragon sprites and battlers and busts. Not sure though if they did the same for MV, though there is always the option to use the Ace resources on MV

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And while everything you've said is true.... My desire for an expansion back NOW is actually for PRACTICAL reasons... I can't have my character turn into a full blown dragon if I don't have sprit4es for the dragon facing up/down left/right or a profile picture.

Actually, yes you can. Use a placeholder. That's what most devs do that finish games is they use a placeholder graphic until they get further along, then they hire someone to make the art for it. So worry instead about making the game, and use a placeholder graphic for the dragon in the meantime. That way if you don't finish the game (common if you are starting out) or change your mind on things in the game (also common) you are not out $$$ now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Kid : "MOOOMM! My poop is bloody red!" Me, an intellectual : "There's worm parasite inside your body. You gonna die soon."
Caught a guy trying to break into our house today. Appearantly he intended to burgle our neighbor (a 94yo widow) but picked the wrong house. Faced with two angry males he was quick to give up without a fight...
I just joined the club of nerds making their own Excel-Sheets to calculate HP / MP / EXP.. parameter curves
Me: "Finally finished most of my game backlog. Probably time to do some gamedev" | Steam: *offer sales*
If I recorded while I created (what I think is) a small plugin, would you be interested enough in the process to watch it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lanzy