mekiboss

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Hello, I'm new to this world and i just want to ask a couple of kinda stupid questions.

1. Is there a compatibility issues if i use different plugins from different developers? (Yanfly, SRDude, Victor Engine, Quasi, Galv, etc) OR should i pick one and strictly use his/her plugins?

2. I want to buy some of their plugins but i can only afford like 1 bundle (im poor), so I need some advice of what plugins are worth buying or the essentials.

3. Is there a limit or maximum plugins to use? will it crash if i use a lot of plugins?

4. Using RMMV. What are your tips/tricks/advice to beginners like me?

5. Discord or something similar for beginners like me? need a lot of help xd

6. Lastly, for all the people here. What are your biggest hated or annoyed cliches/tropes/turn-off in games?

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
1. This varies from case to case, but in general the authors create Plugins to work with others of theirs because they follow the same logic, being the incompatibility with those of other authors.

2. I didn't quite understand this doubt, many Plugins are free and their use is not mandatory, some systems can be made only with Events, even with the help of simple JAVASCRIPT commands.

3. It depends on what each one of them do, in general all Plugins are sets of functions just like Rpg Maker's own CORE, to overload the functions must use resources that consume a lot of memory.

4. Don't focus on Plugins, learn the Engine, study the manual and check the questions threads before posting.

5. Same answer as 4

6. I rarely make games, the only ones I made used Rpg Maker 2000.

Good luck

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
1. Most people who use plugins do mix plugins from different writers. For instance, the game that I am working on now has 14 plugins so far, with the plugin authors including Yanfly, Hime, Trihan, Pk, Arty, Dr. Yami and Galv. Some plugins are mutually incompatible, you just have to try them out with each other. When trying to find out whether plugins work together be prepared to alter the order in which they appear in the plugin manager.
If I try out a new plugin I usually have a go on with it on a test project first. (The test project having few other plugins.) If I am still interested in the plugin after testing, I then try it with the project that I am working on.
Hint: Whenever you add a new plugin to an existing project, don't use any of the old saves.

2. Most plugins are free. All the plugins that I use are free to use, or were when I downloaded them. The Yanfly ones were free, but to fund continued maintenance, they started distributing them in bundles and charging for some of the bundles.

I can't tell you which plugins to use! Plugins tend to be for features that didn't seem worth putting into the engine, for instance, because there might be limited interest in the features the plugin provides. It all depends on what you want to do in your game(s). Some people use what seems to me to be a huge number of Yanfly plugins. What I am working on now just uses their message core.

3. No idea, but I understand that using a lot of plugins can slow a game down. Certainly, the more plugins the more risk of them interfering with each other. In general, for me to use a plugin it either has to do something that I can't get the main program to do or that saves me a lot of work.

4. Fully agree with Dev_With_Coffee, so will omit the wall of text that I was going to post.

5. See 4.

6. Dumping lots of text at once, at the start of a game. If it is a good story, the player will appreciate learning the background bit by bit.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I suggest you first try to make a game without any plugin, just to learn what you can do with the engine alone.
And after that, only add plugins when you need them for specific reasons in your second game.

I also suggest you follow the link to the starting point tutorial in my signature - that one is old but still valid even with MZ.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. Is there a compatibility issues if i use different plugins from different developers? (Yanfly, SRDude, Victor Engine, Quasi, Galv, etc) OR should i pick one and strictly use his/her plugins?
Not necessarily. Most of those big names have whole systems of plugins that are primarily designed to work with each other, so if you use, say, a lot of SRD plugins, you may get into conflict with Yanfly plugins. But if you use several from one of those engines and throw in the odd other thing, it's probably fine.

Basically, there's no logical reason to pre-limit yourself unless it involves spending money, in which case you may want to check with the developer before purchasing.
2. I want to buy some of their plugins but i can only afford like 1 bundle (im poor), so I need some advice of what plugins are worth buying or the essentials.
This gets asked a lot, and it just doesn't make a lot of sense. There's basically no such thing as a plugin to use just because - you should only add a plugin that does something you want for your game. So browse the plugins, see what you actually want to add to your game, then plan your purchase accordingly.

That being said, of the names you listed, I think the only one that costs anything is Yanfly's full bundle, which gives you a ton of options if you're going to use some number of them. We see a lot of bad games that shoehorn plugins/systems in nonsensically just because they exist and are cool.
3. Is there a limit or maximum plugins to use? will it crash if i use a lot of plugins?
No. But the more plugins you have, the more risk you have of things conflicting in weird ways, and the more you have to keep track of. Only add something if you need to.
Do the tutorial. Then look up YouTube tutorials and add those more advanced things to your sample tutorial game (Echo607, SRD, DriftWood, Level Up...). When you run into something, Google it first. MV has been out for long enough that almost everything has been asked, so it'll take you less time to look it up than it will to post a thread and wait for someone to answer.
6. Lastly, for all the people here. What are your biggest hated or annoyed cliches/tropes/turn-off in games?
My biggest turn off is poor English. If I start playing something that's been publicly released and it has misspellings or grammatical errors, that's an immediate uninstall/refund.
3. No idea, but I understand that using a lot of plugins can slow a game down.
I dunno who told you that, but it's an incorrect understanding. As Dev said above you, plugins are just JavaScript code like the MV engine itself. The largest ones are a few hundred kilobytes, simply having them in your game adds nothing significant in terms of memory or processing power.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
several plugin functions are actually doable with some creative eventing.
plugins just make it less of a headache because its like the event is already made and just using a notetag instead of 'call common event'

edit: ATT_Turan is half bringing up an important developer warning with his #2 reply.
"beware of feature creep" figure out all of your mechanics before you even get started and dont load yourself down with to many things that just seem like good ideas.
trying to add new mechanics later on can brick a game and trying to learn how to implement to many mechanics all at once can kill your motivation.
as many others will also say in these forums, "dont start with your dream project"
just start off by making half dozen or more tiny 'proof of concept' projects

edit2: #6: tutorial and/or lore bombardment right at the beginning.
lore relevant to the main story can be told from various storyline NPCs over the course of a couple chapters.
it doesnt need to be some 2k word essay your forced to see in the 1st hour of gameplay.

most tutorials can be entirely optional like an adventurers library is the 2nd or 3rd town, or just random NPCs that give little 2 line survival tips.
only tutorials that are actually important are "you will die 9 times out of 10 unless you learn this mechanic" kinda things, or features that are extremely rare or completely original compared to other popular games that exist.

Last edited:

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  • Ditto on doing suggested tutorials and holding off on plugins until you need them!
  • For #4, check out "shift clicking" once you get a feel for map making. You can make things look a little nicer with the extra flexibility in how autotiles show up.
  • Things that turn me away from games:
    • Long tutorials/dialog/cutscenes that I can't skip
    • Bright flashes and certain types of sound effects
    • Linear play path; give me a few choices or let me explore a little
Welcome to the forums! :LZSsmile:

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV

yanfly's free essentials and tips & tricks should be more then enough to get you started,
and well over 1k hours logged in the engine.
it covers everything that even the console version of MV deemed necessary that wasnt in the base engine and then some.

1 of my most used resources isnt even a plugin, its just the damage formulas 101 link.
warning though that some creative damage formula tricks can get buggy if you use autobattle trait.
(i dont use 'autobattle'. closest ive ever come to that is making an auto-attack state)

mekiboss

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Thank you for responding guys! Appreciate it a lot.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Support. Thank you.

arsMori

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's usually a case by case basis. The others above have already said so much about this part

(I haven't bought any plugins yet, so I don't think I'm qualified to answer Question 2. Majority of the plugins are free anyway)

No, it's more of a complexity thing. As ATT_Turan said above, you would need to juggle more plugins.

I'm more well-versed with the asset making part, so I'll just focus on that, since the others already covered more technical aspects. Since Question 5 is kinda similar to this, I reccommend SRD's tutorial, since that's what I used to get familiar with the system.

You should also be familiar with the asset standards, even if you're just editing RTP assets. I see a lot of questions around about custom assets messing up due to improper formatting. Also be familiar with the shortcuts, since it saves up a lot of time.
If your fantasy character is a plain looking guy with short black hair surrounded with more colorful characters I won't play (joking)

Okay, honesty time, it's huge text dumps of dialogue and/or lore, especially in the start of the game. At least break the text a bit, or add some visuals. You can just put the lore around the world, like in books you can pick up or from overhearing NPC dialogue.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Have seen some of my favorite people here posting and helping others with questions today -- love to see it!
Haven't been on here actively in awhile, project is going strong my biggest issue is the STORY, i'm refining the plot and learning so much i decided to take a writers class to improve even more but the programming and functionality of the game is stepping up nicely!
Hi everyone! Here's what I'm working on today! It's one of the dorms on campus. I know I said I wouldn't use assets but I reused a few things from the cafeteria hehe.
FCuxBOMXMAICK5e
I added a little squish effect when characters change direction to try and make things a bit more lively. Though it's a bit hard to see on the fast moving guys.
2f4fiuy.gif
I just discovered this game exists; the premise itself is ****ing hilarious. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/kill-it-with-fire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clique