Newbie RPG maker with good idea but no skill

Discussion in 'Introductions/Farewells' started by AngryMisanthropistFreak, Jun 2, 2016.

1. AngryMisanthropistFreak

AngryMisanthropistFreak Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    So I recently bought RPG Maker MV on a whim. I have planed the game I want to make that goes beyond the basics of any RPG maker game. I want to make mine distinct from the average. I already have the kind of game play I want as well as the story all on paper. I just need the knowledge. I'm ambitions and willing to learn. But I could use some long term mentorship. I'm in the processes of re sizing the RPG maker VX tile sets for use in MV but am lost on what size to change them to. There are tutorials on YouTube that I've watched but they all state different sizes. I'm sure I'm going to have more questions then that so if someone would be willing, my Skype is  RPGMakerUser and my E-mail is tyler junky01@yahoo.com. some long term help would be grate if I can't find a tutorial online or encase I still can't figure it out even with a tutorial. I don't want to be a baby who needs his hand held. I'll never bother you until I'm convinced that its something I can't figure out on my own. Anyway I'm new to the RPG maker scene with an idea for a grate game. Happy to be here. I think.         

2. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You have to resize them to 48x48 size. You can use this website to make it easier: http://www.kickbackgames.com/mvfu/ 

Note that the resize stuff will lose quality and might not mesh well with some of the MV material.

Henryetha likes this.
  3. The Right Hand Man

The Right Hand Man Any last words? Member

First Language:
    English
    Welcome,new member.

4. Rukomura

Rukomura Lurker Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Reading the manual and experimenting with the program itself is a good way to go. If you can find some open-source MV Games you can open them in the editor and see how people have done stuff. Tutorials are also good, but you should first start SIMPLE and make a very simple silly game to practice with the engine. You won't probably start your game in a few months if you don't practice with the program first.

It also serves when you want to hire people to help you out; most of them want to see an ungoing project and the author being at least capable of using the engine before accepting into helping you out with whatever is your weak spot. It's not really easy alone, surely, but if you want some help with a few things drop a message to me for my contact list first!

Other than that, welcome!

5. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can resize and then sharpen the image, you won't notice much difference.

6. Cadh20000

Cadh20000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Welcome to the group!

Don't start your dream project until you have some experience under your belt, just stick with the planning for it for now. Even after you begin it you should keep a pointless project around to try out new things you think of in so that you can experiment with them without risking messing up your main project.

7. Henryetha

Henryetha Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Hi and welcome!

I can tell you how I started in january.

I never used RPG Maker and hardly played RPG Maker Games, so I was quite new to this.

First I made a very simple Game with the default ressources over a few days, this made me learn about the basic functions of the programm so I could start my main project afterwards.

I've begun it quite simple, replacing with the time music and tiles, adding some other tiles, adding gameplay elements, changing gameplay elements, etc

To advance, I've probably read the whole MV Plugin section in this forum, checked any pages with music/tiles, I could find, watched tutorials..

Especially helpful and easy to understand I found the youtube videos of Driftwood Gaming.

You can also join RPG Maker Groups in Facebook, there often is also useful information.

Good luck!

8. North_Star

North_Star Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey Dude/ Dudet.

Welcome to the forums sounds like you jumped straight in the deep end. Good luck with your project.

Deckard.NorthStar. x

9. AngryMisanthropistFreak

First Language:
    English
    By pixels? 

10. AngryMisanthropistFreak

First Language:
    English
    Can you recommend some facebook groups?

11. Uzuki