Newsletter SPAM

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by SyntaxSandbox, Jan 14, 2019.

1. SyntaxSandbox

SyntaxSandbox Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm trying to browse the website, and it's very hard to read the articles, when I get the newsletter popup every 30 seconds. It doesn't matter how many times I close it, as soon as I change pages, move the mouse, or click on something, the popup comes back. I'm finding this very intrusive and it's steering me away from the website. I really think someone needs to rethink this design.

Attached Files:

• mv.PNG
      mv.PNG
      File size:
      104.6 KB
      Views:
    Amane Kagari likes this.
  2. Amane Kagari

Amane Kagari The Most Epic ("Failed") Hero Main Character Ever Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just checked now. And it doesn't appear every 30 seconds on Chrome (without adblock turned on). Well, I think a site admin should have the answer to this. (I am subscribed already to the newsletters.) What browser are you using and are there any plugins on it? Certain plugins are known to mess with scripts on sites that may cause spamming or certain things to go whack (basically scripts). I'd try to use another browser with no plugins for the site to test out or try in incognito mode with no plugins if on Chrome first. Also, you may want to try to clear cache. (On Chrome, hit f12, right click the reload button and click on "empty cache and hard reload". Usually that solves most site problems.) By the way, if nothing works then I guess we'll just have to wait for an admin or someone more knowledgeable to answer this question. (I'm just suggesting because I had a similar issue on other sites when I used certain plugins.)

3. SyntaxSandbox

SyntaxSandbox Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am using Edge. I have the AdBlock extension installed. Other than that, I don't think Edge has any addons or plugins. It doesn't matter how many times I close that box, it comes back as soon as I load another page. Aside from that I'm already subscribed because I get emails once in a while with free stuff.

Amane Kagari likes this.
  4. Enbara

Enbara Admin Staff Member Veteran

Whitelisting (if this is the right AdBlock)
    Just tried Edge in InPrivate mode with nothing installed and could not get it to ask multiple times.

Amane Kagari likes this.
  5. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've had this happen on some devices. I think it might have to do with Cookies. If you don't accept Cookies from the site, that might be what's causing it. Either way, I agree that this message really should be less obtrusive to users.

6. Enbara

Enbara Admin Staff Member Veteran

Don't think a private browsing session should be saving cookies, although I don't use Edge enough to say how it behaves.
    I'll bring it up.