Nightshade Eclipse [Early] [Alpha Demo]

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Syndicate, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Syndicate

Syndicate Pandora Network Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Nightshade Eclipse
    [​IMG]
     ​
    Kain is a Feral Wolf, who, out exploring Nightshade Forest finds himself lost and eclipsed into darkness... Until he stumbles upon Nightshade Inn. Wounded, he must rest, and it's here he meets Granny...​
     ​
    This is looking to be a short horror infused puzzle solving game.​
     ​
    Been playing with RPG Maker MV since release now and thought I'd actually open a project of mine.​
    I've already sorted out a few of the basics and packed up a quick teaser demo for play right now in your browser:​
     ​
    It may take a few refreshes / buffering for the audio to load, but it should run fine ^_^ Let me know your thoughts.​
     ​
    Credits are pretty much all the usual suspects. I don't think I'm using any "third party" plugins, apart from a pop up se sound plugin by Jtanooki. The rest is MV default or the pre-order bonuses (Yanfly etc).​
     ​
    Cheers,​
     ​
    Danny / Syndicate​

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  2. Numieth

Numieth local demon appreciator Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Okay, just took a break from my own stuff and played your demo in the meantime. :)

It's a bit short to give you thaaat much feedback, but here I'll try to give you at least something.

Soo...

The battle system

I haven't actually yet checked out much of MV's potential in that regard at all yet, so I can't tell if this is standard or not, but I like what you've done so far. The warm-up/cool-down combo is a pretty neat concept. And it's funny for me to imagine Kain just casually taking a short time-out from fighting to lick his wounds. Mid-battle. Nice 8D

Honestly I enjoyed the enemy's uh sound effects during the battle the most though. That was a nice touch.

What confused me a bit was the at times random-seeming bigger font used in the middle of sentences. I understand it's nice to put some emphasis in dialogues, but I didn't quite get why the spring water deserved such special attention. But maybe it's going to be important later on and that's why?

I'm also hoping that clown dude will show up again later on, because a clown-dog combo seems noteworthy enough to not be left as a random npcs with no further relevance. If he doesn't show up again later on, it also wouldn't make much sense to me to dedicate an entire cutscene to him... so yeah, bring him back! Maybe. I mean, I can't tell you what to do :')

And well, with the granny still being scripted, I think that's pretty much all the feedback I can give you right now, but I hope to see more soon. :)

Syndicate likes this.
  3. Syndicate

First Language:
    English
    Hey Numieth,

Thanks a lot for your feedback ^_^ I'll be sure to get more up soon, I was just itching to try a game in a browser </fangirlscreams>

I'm glad you enjoyed what I've done so far though! Gives me that extra shove to work on it more tonight :p </needsmorecoffee>

Cheers!

4. LoganX87

LoganX87 Mapper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It was a nice demo, overall, the CD like numieth said its cool to implement and gives potential to more complex form if fighting if you think well how much they would need and how much damage certain skills would do, it would be a good idea to give descriptions to the skills, i knew lick wound would be a healing spells cause of the icon, but still it would be nice to have a description to know a bit more of the skill.

overall it was a good demo!

Syndicate likes this.
  5. Syndicate

First Language:
    English
    Hello Logan X87! 

Thank you for your feedback and for trying the teaser/demo!

I'd like to use this post to include some updates too:

STEP SOUNDS! - That's right, you now have an SE sound played each step. The squelching of the wet grass, the creaking of the wooden floor etc. I know, it's minor, but it adds a little more depth to the gameplay.

SKILL DESCRIPTIONS! - Yeah they were pretty plain without this, it's now looking more polished with these written up.

MORE PROGRESSION! - I've progressed the story, added new maps, finished some events and puzzles! (The "excessively" large text now makes sense) /spoilers :p

NEW CHARACTERS! - The place is fully booked remember, but by whom?

It's unlikely I'll release a new demo, and moreso the full game, but I'll keep you updated with the progress ^_^

Thanks again for your support.  :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  6. Numieth

First Language:
    German
    Nice! Great to see these things will get more relevance.

And step sounds! That's such a great idea. I might have to steal it ehehe. ¬_¬

7. Syndicate

First Language:
    English
    Haha awesome, I've actually made a video tutorial on it, just waiting for it to be approved ^_^

I've done a lot more to the game. The only thing missing is a system like khas lighting where I can change the lights and blow out torches and stuff but it's not the end of the world! Mostly using this as a way around MV anyway so it's mostly RTP/default :)

Will upload the game in a few days I'm sure :] will have about an hour runtime. ^_^

8. Numieth

First Language:
    German
    Awesome, I'm looking forward to it! :)

9. C-C-C-Cashmere

C-C-C-Cashmere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's cool to see an MV game released. I didn't continue playing past the first sight of the clown, though, because everything takes so long to load for me, even the main menu, that it breaks the mood. Could you provide a download also? I want to play it without the lag.

Syndicate likes this.
  10. Syndicate

First Language:
    English
    Yeah that's a good call, I think I'll release the full version as a download as opposed to playing from a browser due to the lag issue. Thanks for giving it a quick whirl though!

11. astracat111

astracat111 Astra Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    One thing...

I'm aware that rmmv most likely has a way to do this built in, but it would be nice to have a fullscreen button, even if it takes a little bit of javascript to implement. 

Good demo so far, hope to see more. 

12. Syndicate

First Language:
    English
    astracat111 likes this.
  13. Numieth

First Language:
    German
    @astracat111 fullscreen support is already part of MV, all you have to do is click F4. Even in the browser-mode. I just tested it myself and it does work. :)

@syndicate aw ye, gonna head there to check it out right now. Thanks for creating a tut for it!  (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Syndicate likes this.
  14. Clangeddin

Clangeddin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have played the demo and well, can't say much since it's only an early build with two rooms and a chicken fight.

I'll just point out two things as feedback:

1) The confirmation sound in menu is terribly annoying. That "BLIBLING" is so loud and irritating I feel like ripping my ears off.

2) The ability description tooltip in battle is not filled with any information. Of course one would probably tell anyway that Lick Wounds is a heal and Feral Slash is a stronger attack, but still it's nice to see that description to see what move does what.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
  15. Syndicate

First Language:
    English
    Thanks!!

I've changed the OK sound now, my apologies to your ears! xD it was set to default I think!

Yep, descriptions added now too. 

Appreciate you play testing the game :)

16. KaizaDelmassy

KaizaDelmassy Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    This is an interesting concept and I like the way you've done the skills. I wish there was more to do in the demo such as actually checking into the hotel with the Reservation or maybe some additional fights. But still I like the concept. I look forward to seeing what you do with this game. Hopefully it has a mac version once full version is released since that's the machine I'm currently using.

Syndicate likes this.