Nine Mile Ride

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by echo, Jul 19, 2013.

1. echo

echo It's alright. I was drunk too. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So I made this a little while ago for an 'alternative story telling competition' that I never actually entered.  I didn't just want to leave it rotting away on my computer so I thought I'd put it here.

'Nine Mile Ride' is a short visual novel, only about fifteen minutes long.  I mean visual novel in its most basic sense: there's no gameplay, no choices, it's just one story with one ending.  I know that might not be everyone's cup of tea, but hey, what are you gonna do.  There's not even any artwork.  That's primarily because I can't draw, but also because the graphics are purely meant as background; the focus is on the words, and I didn't want to detract from that.

The story is told from the first-person perspective of Paul, an eighteen year old boy living in south east England.  Paul whiles away his time in Crowthorne Wood with his friend Harry, talking about dead rabbits and cigarettes and Angelina Jolie.  Amongst other things.  But Paul wakes up one morning to hear his friend is dead.  So he decides to make one grand, final gesture.

The setting is modern and realistic: Nine Mile Ride is a real road, Crowthorne's a real place, in fact this whole thing is based very heavily on a true story, with the exception of people's names.

Screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Credits

GRAPHICS

Celianna

Looseleaf

Sithjester

Enterbrain

Hanzo Kimura

Merrea50

Werebat

Zanyzora

PandaMaru

Ayene

SCRIPTS

ForeverZer0

Emily_Konichi

Dubealex

XRXS Scripter

Phylomorphis

MUSIC

freemusicarchive.org

Blear Moon

LJ Kruzer

Freesound.org

TheWorkingBamboo
    Download:https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjaixp9hds3ija4/Nine%20Mile%20Ride1.exe (not with RTP.  I will do that but my computer's terminally ill right now.)

And I think that's it.  I hope you like it.

Edit: different download link that's a bit smaller, replaced a couple of .wavs with .mp3s.

Another edit: The music is never being updated.  Curse this game.  Sorry.  I hate it. 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2013
  2. echo

First Language:
    English
    Well, er...  I suppose VNs are a bit risky.  Anyway, slightly more reliable link on rpgmaker.net, a couple of reviews, a video, trinkets, gadgets, you get the idea...

http://rpgmaker.net/games/5349/

3. thomas_surles

thomas_surles Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Might want to check the spelling in the screenshot for the funeral.

4. echo

First Language:
    English
    Yes, I've finally noticed that, but this project was soul-destroying and I don't have the heart to edit it anymore.  I may change the screenshot though.

Edit - Two months later: Or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013