Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
That bit was directed to the suggestion that many people (everywhere, not just here but other sites this news was on) were making about how Essentials could just scrub the assets and go generic, which is stupid.

In terms of legality (and for some people, morality) whether you are a fan or otherwise is inconsequential to how wrong or right it is - but it doesn't take a genius to realize that if someone is trying to make a fan game, legality or making a fresh IP is going to be just as inconsequential to them too. They don't want a fresh IP or originality, they just want Pokemon. If they wanted generic, they'd just use RMXP without the Essentials. They don't - they use Pokemon Essentials for the Pokemon, so suggesting to get rid of the Pokemon is obviously a non-option for these people.
I'd speak a bit for yourself if I were you.

I used to be a huge fan of Pokemon. I still am to an extent, but I am not a fan of the direction they are taking with their Pokemon designs, which is bulimic stick figures bombarding the franchise now. I get that these kind of designs are popular because they're speedy looking and what not, but I absolutely despise these designs for how frail and easy to kill they look. I like designs that are sturdy and full of life, and a lot of us stick figure designs if not all of them are incredibly generic. but of course every time they make a Pokemon that isn't a stick figure, Pokemon fans throw a tantrum. As a result, the fans have basically ruined it for people like me who don't like those designs.

To make matters worse, the stick figure characters are generally overpowered while the ones that aren't stick figures are generally useless. Compare pheromosa to guzzlord for example. Guzzlord was basically the only good meaty tank design in gen 7, and the people working on the game made him competitively worthless, well overpowering creatures like pheromosa, and even going as far as to shoehorning stick figures into defensive roles with Pokemon like celesteel, Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini, Tapu Lele and Toxipex. I had always had a problem with these kind of Pokemon, especially since the metagame basically forces you to use these types of Pokemon if you want to win and be successful, but gen 7 has so far been the worst when it comes to these designs.

So... I personally have been looking for new Pokemon like games to get away from this. I did find EvoCreo which is all right, but at the same time there's quite a lot of bugs and flaws in that game. There is not a lot else out there. Yokai Watch is an insult to my intelligence as far as monster designs go, Dragon Quest monster Joker 3 never got a Statewide release, and that monster hunter monster collecting game from what I can tell isn't that great either.

So what does one do if they want a brand new Pokemon experience? Why, one could potentially make their own Pokemon like game with their own design and sprites. Without Pokemon Essentials, this is still very much possible, but it does complicate things quite a bit.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm sort of surprised this didn't happen sooner to be honest. I don't know a lot about the pokemon fan-game community but tools like this or ripped resources have been around awhile in it right? Guess it just ended up attracting too much attention.

I'm generally of the opinion that fan-game stuff isn't worth getting into; I feel like you are better off taking inspiration from it and just incorporate your own "original" aspects and designs, especially if its something you really want to share online. Its honestly a shame to see these big projects get shut-down because more often than not many of the developers are clearly quite passionate and dedicated and even skilled. There's also the issue that a fanbase is going to be extremely harsh critics of what you put out because they have the original to compare it to. I mean if you just want to make something and share it with some buddies then hey more power to you, I dabbled a lot with fan stuff in my teens; particularly writing short stories or planning out card games and things like that but it was more a private thing I didn't really intend to put out there.

Anyway, all that aside we've seen nintendo be very active about this type of thing in recent years for clear reasons and that is unlikely to change so the expectations fan communities have going into and sharing these projects should be realistic. We have seen though that nintendo is certainly willing to acknowledge the desire for these types of games when it put out mario maker which proved to be quite successful for them and was enjoyed by fans. I've said this before to others but I'm genuinely curious if they will continue with their own maker series as it seems a legitimate "pokemon maker" would be a money machine for them.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Clearly it wasn't just the rips or the use of the Pokemon name alone that had it targeted but because it had code to make a game packaged together with it, even if that code itself wasn't ripped or infringing.
Yes, that's how it works. Things that aren't likely to get confused with the creators own work, or that don't get in the way of them using their own IP, aren't a big deal and are usually left alone. A fan page with a lot of ripped sprites is very clearly a fan page and doesn't get in the way of selling Pokemon games. A game called Pokemon Uranium with their own artwork is a lot harder to say wasn't made by Nintendo, especially from the perspective of a non-fan (who would most likely be the judge in a relevant lawsuit), and could very easily damage sales or the IP's reputation. From the article I read, Nintendo was having to shut down quite a few fan games to protect it's IP, and they all used the same exact engine. Of course they would go there next, why spend time and money going after lots of things when you could just do the same thing once at the source and be done?

I would be more sad about the loss of this tool if the creators of Essentials hadn't known this was coming and actively didn't care. When I first talked to them about this issue, it was in the context of offering my help in creating artwork so that they could move away from using rips. I was verbally attacked in response. So, no, don't feel sorry for them. I'm sorry that we don't have an easy way of making a non-Pokemon monster game though.

Alanood

Laziest creature ever
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nintendo being Nintendo.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Remove all the Pokemon stuff... then call it Monster Battle Essentials. Then it could be reposted... but I dunno how active they are anymore.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Arcmagik unfortunately it isn't that simple.
doing it that way would remove the rips of ninetendo's IP, but it would still contain the scripts that were created by the scripters for the PE. And you would have to get licence from everyone of them to be able to use those scripts in any other package.
And based on Sharm's story they would probably have denied that if you had tried to ask them for that licence...

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar That is true. I wasn't speaking of the people at the bottom but more the people at the top. However if they are as asinine as they seem then it is unlikely to happen, true.

Jayje

THE Lone Indie Cheese!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
It’s been recently announced on the RPG Maker web forum that NINTENDO has decided to put the kibosh on the Pokemon Essentials, a customized set of scripts used by fans to make their own fan games that started back in the days of RPG Maker XP (circa 2006).

A lot of good games were made using it (I’m leaving out the POKEMON as all the titles have it): Reborn, Insurgence, Sage, Obsidian and most notably Uranium. All of these will probably have to shutdown, if they haven’t already.

Needless to say, folks aren’t happy about this. How are they going to live out there Pikachu inspired dreams now?

Truthfully, I’m surprised people didn’t see this coming for years, when the creator(s) first came out with this system. Why would they think a multi-billion dollar company like Nintendo would be cool with folks using their IP? The light bulb should have definitely go on when they forced Pokemon Uranium to cease and desist back in 2016. For me the writing was on the wall even then.

To be honest, I’m of two minds about this.

Firstly, I’m sadden by the fact that these fans were so devoted to this franchise that they spent hours, days, months and (in Uranium’s case) even years of their time on a hobby they loved. Many fan game devs may have to stop all their hard work. Others have already decided to go underground and keep their projects to a smaller audience. I wish them well.

Secondly, I feel a bit vindicated for all the determination and time I put into my own game. I’ve worked on Monstructs: Makers and Mayhem for, like, nearly two decades. There was an extended period where I had to stop, but this game kept standing their like an unloved child, waiting for me to return. Now, I’m so close to a BETA release. I think this will drive fan game devs to make games similar to Pokemon and I’m looking forward to seeing the results. Heartbeat is an RPG Maker game in the same monster-collecting vein as mine and Pokemon, but with its own cute, unique spin on it.

So, while this may be a sad day for Pokemon fan game enthusiasts, it could be a good thing for the Indie Game Dev scene on the whole. Only time will tell.

To your dreams…

Monstructs MELEE!

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
heard about it.
it's not only RPGM, it's across the spectrum. Steam was also buzzing about it.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Anyone with any knowledge at at all of copyright and trademark laws would have seen this coming a long time ago. Also, Nintendo wants total control of their IP (and it is their right to decide to do that). Nintendo let it go for too long, and should have acted years ago so this kind of backlash would have been avoided. Mistakes were made by all parties, so nobody in this is entirely without blame for the drama.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Jayje :

I merged your thread with the other one on this topic.

Awesomejr44

Dragon-Type Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem with these fangames is that you can't make one without coming across a problem. If you make a Pokemon clone, you'll get shut down by Nintendo, but if you make your own original monster catching IP, no one cares about it and anyone who actually sees its calls it a Pokemon rip-off. It's sad to see such a beloved company treat it's fans like trash. Just another example of Nintendo doing stupid things that other companies know not to do. I know Nintendo has the right to do this, but Nintendo needs to start learning the basic lessons of having a virtual community. I'm sure many other companies remember virtual communities 101: Don't discourage fangames/mods.

Can't wait until they finally realize how much they're hurting themselves. I'm hoping that Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee falls flat on it's face because they did this.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Fuqu I have deleted your post for 2 reasons.
It is a necropost. Please see our Forum Rules here.
It is also a post with abusive/obscene language, which we do not permit.

[mod]As this thread has run its course, I am closing it.[/mod]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ok i got the model New and I will develop a little more, I think my SV is not beautiful yet.
"I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream". In all seriousness, spatial BGM feature is now complete for my audio plugin.
Stream will be live shortly with some game development followed by the return of the Interactive Text Adventure after a short hiatus! Feel free to drop by!
Lately, I've taken to smashing random nouns/verbs together as insults. It's sort of amusing how many people don't really know how to respond to that. You bottle shaker!
Would be nice to pick color code that is not exclusively for message event

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shadowgrahp