Nintendo Switch - Luke & Rebecca (Kaitou Twins)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Traverse, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Traverse

Traverse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This indie game for Switch recently went up on Nintendo's eShop. The screenshots kind of speak for themselves.

Am I the only one who who feels somewhat disconcerted at seeing those REFMAP/First Seed Material/Mack tiles on a Nintendo Switch game?

Before anybody says it, yes, I am very much aware that REFMAP/FSM tiles are all-original resources and not directly related to RPGMaker and that their terms of use allow anybody to use it in anything with credit given. However, I have seen these tiles used in so many RPGMaker games by this point (including a number of commercial ones) that it comes off almost feeling as much as - dare I use the term - an "asset-flip" as using RM RTP resources. Almost.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume there's much more originality in the character artwork and other resources, but I don't own the game myself nor am I familiar with every free resource pool that exists. Though I am interested to know if there is anybody who owns the game who can confirm whether the only things sourced from... freely-available sources... were the tiles, or if are there other similar non-custom assets used in the product.