No Fast Forward -- For Move Routes and Show Text

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Galenmereth, Nov 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Galenmereth

Galenmereth Not so Grump Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No Fast Forward
     ​
    Introduction

Lets you disable fast-forwarding for Move Routes and/or Show Text. By default you can hold down the OK key or your finger on the touch screen and make Move Routes and the text display in Show Text fast forward. This behavior might not be what you want in your game, for example if you create scenes that are timed to sound effects or music.

Before asking for help, please read the documentation page to see if it might already be covered there. That page will be updated over time and always be the most current documentation available for the plugin.

Features

• Plugin options for disabling fast-forwarding of Move Routes and/or Show Text globally in your game.
    • Plugin Command for disabling fast-forwarding of individual Show Text messages, or for a range of Show Text messages until cancelled. See documentation page.
    Latest version:

2.1.0 - 2015.12.01

How to use

Add the plugin to your game and check the documentation page for help. The Help section contains general information and a link the plugin's documentation page.

Documentation

Documentation page

Download

GitHub

Dependencies

None

FAQ

No items yet

Credit

Tor Damian Design

Terms of use

Free for non-commercial and commercial use. See terms of use for the full terms.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Nice.  I have something like this for Ace, and it makes planning cut scenes a lot easier.

3. topar395

topar395 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Nice plugin and works perfect, Thanks for hard work! Do you have a plugin to stop the text from being advanced also? I'm trying to make the player wait for fishing event but when the button is held down the text can be fast forwarded.

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is one of my questions, what might be called the problem of synchronization, and I'm wondering if this plugin solves it.

If I have understood the exact sequence correctly, this is what happened in Ace.  Usually, when a character is executing a move route set by using Set Move  Route, and another Set Move Route is used to set a new route for that character, the original move route is forgotten and the new one is started right away. I have a small piece of code which adds the new route's commands to the current one, ensuring the current route is always completed before executing the new one.  So if the player mashes Enter to move the dialogue of a cut scene on as fast as possible, all moves are still completed and the game therefore does not  freeze.

Because I decided to reverse my decision to convert my current project from Ace to MV I have not yet had to sort out a solution to this one, but it is something I need to be considering for the next project.

5. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Updated to version 2.0.0

Major version bump due to change in fundamental workings of the plugin. There are now two new plugin options:

• Disable for Move Routes - Disables fast-forward for Move Routes
    • Disable for Text - Disables fast-forward for Show Text
    Both of these options are global. In addition, a Plugin Command has been added:

• DisableTextFF - Disables fast-forward for the text in the next Show Text message. 

@topar395 This was a good suggestion that I think works well in the context of this plugin, so I've actually expanded on it to add this functionality.

@ksjp17 I can't actually say for certain if it will, as I haven't delved deep enough in MV's Move Route code to know.

6. topar395

topar395 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Did not expect such a fast response. This is great! Thanks once again!!

7. Vegnarus

Vegnarus Veteran Veteran

This is great for those delicate scenes that take a while to make but can easily be messed up by the player simply pushing a button!  :p

Now all we need is a cutscene skipping plugin and we're gold!

But shouldn't the plugin command disable text fast forward for every text message? And have another plugin command to enable it again? 

Plugin Command: DisableTextFF

Show Text

Play SE

Show Text

Set Move Route

Show Text

Plugin Command: EnableTextFF

Just to have some control over which portions to use it on.

8. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hmm, maybe I can change it to have one "DisableNextTextFF" for one message (useful to some), and have Disable/EnableTextFF for persistent?

9. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for this, I was having so much issue with cut-scene timing and the player possibly fast-forwarding things! <3

10. Vegnarus

Vegnarus Veteran Veteran

Sounds good Galen! I guess DisableNextTextFF would be good for those lone, occasional messages that might need it and it avoids the use of an extra command. So we'll have a command for single messages and two more to encase lengthier bundles of messages.

11. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Updated to version 2.1.0

Based on feedback, altered how DisableTextFF works. Now toggles fast-forward off until a mirror command, EnableTextFF, is called. DisableNextTextFF performs the job of the old DisableTextFF, disabling fast-forward for only the very next Show Dialogue message before resetting itself.

See the documentation page for the full changelog and up-to-date documentation.