RMVXA No longer the Earth - Space horror - Demo available!

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Updated 03/09/2017. FIRST DEMO IS READY!

You can download it at No longer the Earth's gamejolt page

The project takes this quote from Rilke to speak about how extraneous, odd, even weird can be the outer space. The feeling of not being home anymore, treading unknown ground.

GENRE: Adventure, space horror.
CONCEPT: A mixture of the NES Metal Gear with influences from movies like The Thing (1982), Alien (1979) or Pandorum (2009)

ARIADNA, a space station that orbits the mining planet Arhat. Eight crewmembers of the company Virgin-Nagata established within its walls, waiting for its subsequent opening to the outside. But now that ARIADNA has sent a distress call, there‘s no doubt that something has gone wrong.

A big, dark, and (apparently) empty orbital station.
Jake and Henry soon are going to realise that something went wrong with the station power. But that’s not the worst…

Find your way in Ariadna without a map, and even without light.

There has been no response from the crewmembers in the first radio contact. The Company demands you to find what the heck happened. Use your brain to solve this terrific puzzle of silence, darkness, and flesh. When that’s not enough...

Your companion stays in the spaceship. Ask for help or support anytime. But he is not the only individual you will be able to communicate with. Find the survivors, make them understand you are an ally. Save them.

Find tools and pieces to craft new equipment and weapons. Repair your on gear as it decays when being attacked in the corridors of ARIADNA.

Be careful what stays in the dark. Do not waste your bullets. Try to avoid enclosed spaces, since it is faster than you. Watch your back... and finally, put an end to this dangerous space oddity.

Learn about this thing. Find a way to hunt it. Then ask the Company for a reward.

Easy, huh?

NO. IT’S NOT GONNA BE EASY.

You won’t be able to save when you want. Each step can lead you to salvation, or to own death. You have to make decisions you won't like, perhaps endure sacrifices to test your sanity. But you must do it. You cannot allow the thing that inhabits ARIADNA escape to the outside world….to mankind.

You are able to control one character at a time.
Fight the wild dogs and other surprises ARIADNA has within it's walls. Escape from the frightening creature that haunts in the dark corridors. At first stage of the game, your only chance is to frighten this thing by shooting bullets into the dark. Your goals are to explore ARIADNA, find the survivors and maybe learn how to fight this thing before you ran out of bullets.

POWERING UP: You carry a portable batery from the ship. With that you are able to power up computers and doors terminals in order to get deeper into the space station. You can charge the battery back into your ship, or at some points in ARIADNA.

WEAPONS:
Jake carries an assault rifle and Henry a pistol. You can shoot by pressing a button to frighten the creature or fight another surprises inside the building. Neither Jake nay Henry are soldiers, and they don't carry a lot of ammo, so be careful not to run without bullets. You won't like it. Other weapons can be found in the station, or even crafted.

STRESS: Safeguard your mind while you try your body not to be eaten. As your Mental Points descend, rest in lightened areas or return to your ship.

And well, this are the basic concepts. Hope you like it. I'll share more info and screenshots while developing the game.

Hope you like it and thanks for the feedback.

Vic White

P.S.: If you like the concept, follow Jake and Henry on Twitter!

Last edited:

Cubic

Level 23 Thief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Looks terrific. Like, amazing. Please tell me this is going on Steam!?

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks a lot cubic, it's so special to read this after a lot of hard work.

Yes, the idea is to go on Steam :)  As you may know, first the project needs to be aproved on Steamlight.

PS: Some pixel art I just finished. Still a bit rough but couldn't wait to share it with you!

nolongerpixel.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Woahhhhh oahhhhh!  I am in the end of my likes for the day.  I like the ambiance and almost feel your two main characters are after some real scifi great masters :p

Couch Flipper t(o.ot)

Philosopher...?
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is an awesome concept! I think that you definitely have a great possibility of achieving something with this. Only thing, Jake has no eyes! :p jk though, good job so far! :D

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello guys and thanks for the feedback ^^

Marquise: I think sci fi + horror is always a good combination. I will try to pay tribute to the masters who inspired me via easter eggs ^_^

Couch Flipper: My idea is that lack of eyes makes him even more nerd. What do you think? 

PS: is this retro enough to tease you?  BD

virgin.png

cabingreen.png

Couch Flipper t(o.ot)

Philosopher...?
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@VicWhite ah i see, i think this idea is good :D. only thing though is that I feel like in the pixel art of Jake and Joe, the glasses/eyes for Jake kinda feels like they pop out a little too much (also have a gray outline around his head :o). Same thing with the above screenshot, kinda pops out a bit too much (in my opinion). I wanna see it as it gets more developed tho :D

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks a lot Couch Flipper, for the advice. Now I am working on my normal job but when I have some hours free for the game will try this shadowing, yes.

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
YES! This looks so cool! I love the art <3 

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks terrorchan! here the artist... advantages and disadvantages of being a solo developer  :D

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks terrorchan! here the artist... advantages and disadvantages of being a solo developer  :D
I know that feeling all too well. Custom painted parallax backgrounds, portraits, sprites, and battlers coming for my game. All made by me. My hand wants to commit suicide, I think.

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes. In my case was a must to get minimal. I was dropped by my artist in my first project, so this time I work on that part too...luckily I am working publishing books for 6 months and I learned some graphic tips.

Please tell me about your game or share a link. I review games too, on my free time, for a web called "indieWatch", so if you need it I am your man. 

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes. In my case was a must to get minimal. I was dropped by my artist in my first project, so this time I work on that part too...luckily I am working publishing books for 6 months and I learned some graphic tips.

Please tell me about your game or share a link. I review games too, on my free time, for a web called "indieWatch", so if you need it I am your man. 
Well, if you can't tell by my signature art, the style is kinda cutesy. The game is rather JRPGish... Very early in development but I just finished one map that I'm going to show here in the Map thread and probably be roasted for momentarily :)  

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
2.png

Hello guys and gals!

Being a solo game developer it's not easy, speacially when you have 2 jobs. After a summer work hiatus, it's time to work again on No Longer The Earth. At this point I am still fixing the first mechanics of the game, consisting in:

- Shooting your weapon in order to frighten the misterious creature that haunts you in the orbital station (nearly done)

- Shortcutting electrical boxes in order to keep doors shut (done)

- Action battle system, used to fight wild dogs that are free in some areas and other menaces (in progress)

- Powering terminals with a battery in order to be able to power up doors and computers (in progress)

- Accessing cyberspace to recover data and hack terminals (yet to start)

First floor of Ariadna is 50% done. Working on a first 2h demo that I long to share with you all.

Thanks for your patience and support, and remember that feedback to the project is not only welcomed, but a real need.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Hey great to see you are still making progress here!

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey great to see you are still making progress here!
Well, thanks a lot! Yes, I created some tiles for the ship, some VR environment and a few pictures. Also completed the first (short) chapter of the game. Allow me to share some stuff!

Being observed:

BEING OBSERVED.png

End chapter one:

END CHAPTER ONE.png

First encounter:

encuentro2.png

Door:

!$PruebaPuerta.png

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Wooo...  Now we have the back head version of a face grabber(?).  I like the old Apple green screen feel of the first shot.  Good way to get an Alien shot in the dark it always works.  (Hope you did enough changes... even if Alien itself was "inspired" by another movie.)

And also, Ithink many folks here will want to borrow your doors.  ;)

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes, there's not a lot of scifi resources out there... so I am free if my work can be useful to others ^_^ I still need to arrange the doors animation though :/

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Awwww...  I didn't saw anything bad (apart that they'll open more fluidly than normal char walk!)  BTW, the odd ordering of direction might just kinda jam if the door events gets entangled with some trap condition switch.  I had that kinda experience with some bisket doors.  They wouldn't open in case of fire.

Don't ask... all graphical animation mishaps falls on me.  To the point that I don<t script, I photoshop!  XD

VicWhite

Star rover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Awwww...  I didn't saw anything bad (apart that they'll open more fluidly than normal char walk!)  BTW, the odd ordering of direction might just kinda jam if the door events gets entangled with some trap condition switch.  I had that kinda experience with some bisket doors.  They wouldn't open in case of fire.

Don't ask... all graphical animation mishaps falls on me.  To the point that I don<t script, I photoshop!  XD

Thanks again for the advice, @Marquise*! I still need to do my homework about animation basics in RPGMaker. I will read some info and try to fix it to be the more fluid I can. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Little early but to all of you that celebrate it :

Tomorrow is Halloween! I can't wait to go to Boxi Park and show off my costume! Also one of Dad's friends is staying the night, so he might get to see the show.
Here's the title-screen for the game I'm working on: :LZSgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FinnEver