No Resource Manager?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by sbloom85, Oct 24, 2015.

1. sbloom85

sbloom85 Veteran Veteran

Michigan's Upper Peninsula, United States
    First Language:
    English
    It's kinda weird for an RPG Maker program not to have it.

2. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It was removed in MV. You need to move the files and resources you want in a project into their respective folders yourself. It is a bit different from past iterations, but it's nothing to be scared of :)

3. sbloom85

sbloom85 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I know. I was just surprised.

4. Silent Darkness

Silent Darkness Robomage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I honestly don't care for this. It was a great little timesaver. I really do miss it.

The Resource Manager dialogue in VX Ace also let you set background color so that most spritesheets wouldn't need to have their background color alpha'd out in order to work properly.

EDIT: @OP I was gonna make a thread on this very thing. Funny how that works.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    SOC likes this.
  5. wizaerd

wizaerd Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    I concur... as a game engine, you'd think it'd handle some of the manual copying and pasting stuff...

6. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Elmlor.com Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Reason I dislike not having a resource Manager is it seems to maybe be one the few things that could have brought back Workshop support. I was hoping that plugins can be done via workshop now and maybe auto checks for updates and lets you know etc.

Would been really cool but sadly workshop support was not added in this time. 

7. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I am a little bit disappointed that there is no resource manager.

But more often than not, I find myself importing manually anyways, so it's not a deal breaker for me.

sbloom85 likes this.
  8. Silent Darkness

First Language:
    English
    I always found myself using the Resource Manager. This hampers productivity a bit imo, by adding more busywork.

9. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I never used the resource manager anyway to be honest. Everyone uses alpha transparency so there was no need for that setting.

I mean, I'm not saying the resource manager removal was something I was part of the decision on, but I will say it doesn't affect me personally.

10. Silent Darkness

First Language:
    English
    Well, unfortunately, it does affect me, in a rather detrimental manner....

I hope that the devs will all at least consider reimplementing it at some point. For a program that practically borrows off of the VX Ace tagline on it's Steam page, this doesn't seem very convenient...

11. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used the resource manager all the time, and I never used alpha transparency unless I absolutely had to. I don't have Photoshop, so in order to get any kind of alpha transparency I have to use Paint.net or GIMP and it's far more time consuming, and often not even as accurate pixel by pixel since I have to manually do things rather than having 2 solid colors I could fill and select transparent for.

I feel like it's a pretty big step backwards, especially considering there's no more RTP and mobile devices have such limited space. It's not the end of the world or something crazy bad, but it is annoying having a staple feature since like RM2k removed and the alternative is more time consuming.

12. LinBE

LinBE Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I think it is a step back. As a newbie, I prefer to have one build-in manager, which I can have overview on the resource I have, instead of going from Folder to Folder.

13. Bidule987

Bidule987 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I sort of thing this subject should go in this topic. I am struggling to add films to the rpg maker mv game without the ressource manager. Can anybody help me please!?

14. kaine

kaine Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    For me is a step back.

15.  Nova

Nova Veteran Veteran

I NEVER use the resource manager, it's a waste of time. It's alot quicker to just place files in the folders.

16. kitsune121x

kitsune121x the man of a million ideas but no skill Veteran

First Language:
    english
    what are you smoking the Resource Manager made things faster and I cannot use any of my sprites anymore and 90% of all the free sprites on the Internet are not compatible with mv

SOC likes this.
  17. draykorinee

draykorinee Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Resource manager a waste of time? It is a godsend compared to this cumbersome system.

SOC likes this.
  18. krizmn

krizmn Occultist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Yeah I have to agree.  Most of us developing a game already have multiple folders and organized content.  Having to constantly open and move and change and etc....has become a pretty big annoyance for me with this new system.  To be fair, the previous versions was something most developers rarely get to use when working on a gaming project.  It's just most of us got used to that feature.  I think the issue goes beyond that though.  Like with Ace, I could sit and adjust scripts as I needed and change graphics to work stuff out without having to shrink and move stuff around.  I hate to jump on the band wagon and complain or shoot the gun too early cause I will probably get used to it.  I am sure the new plugin system is great for newbies who can just plug in play.  But since I do my own scripts, graphics, etc, it's bogging me down.

19. sbloom85

sbloom85 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In your project folder, there's a subfolder called "movies". That's where your videos go.

20. Silent Darkness

First Language:
    English
    I don't know who made the decision to cut out the Resource Manager, but i'd say they made a rather egregious mistake.

Honestly, this program would have made even better use out of the Resource Manager system, now that there's a folder for javascript plugins! Imagine being able to batch load in .js files, and having it be hooked into the plugin manager.