No Resource Manager?

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Actually, I didn't use Alpha Transparency. I don't think i'm the only one.

Saying that everyone uses alpha transparency is a bit of a broad brush stroke, ain't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't even know what alpha trfansparency is! When I wanted to add transparency I just used the resource manager for it.Then again, I don't own MV, so it doesn't affect me personally...yet. :p

Mikuri

Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Never used this resources manager.

Copypasta is fine, any effects is done in Photoshop anyway.

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
While everything can still be done, it has been made MORE annoying and time-consuming, not LESS. Removing the background from more complicated sprite sheets could take several minutes. And if there's a lot of them, then this means that more and more time is wasted on busywork.

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think this changes take away a little from the maker...

Yes, many people didn't use the resource manager and any effects can be made with an image editor, but i'm not an graphical artist and i did use the resource manager. Also a lot of people would like an almost empy database because they like creating everything from scratch... but that would be a nightmare for me ;_;

Not all users are created equal B) :thumbsup-left:

monsterfurby

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I remember back in the RM2k days when the urban myth of the day was that you had to import all resources through the resource manager and doing it any other way would break your resources or your game (the origin obviously being the fact that RM2k wouldn't always recognize the transparent color)... man, those days :D

SOC

"God is my Judge"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wasn't there a big talk about how the Japanese developers prefer the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" mentality and that's why we're depending on so many plugins to do what RMMV should be doing naturally and fixing the bugs that they don't view as bugs? Why in the world would they take out the Resource Manager if they actually believed that?

It's really frustrating. I like to put ALL my resources into my folders as I'm making games, so having to manually remove them (especially files in .M4A that are all mixed in with .ogg files) is so much more work, and I have to do this for each and every single project and there's far more room for error. In Resource Manager, you could clearly see what your game had and didn't have, and also see what was RTP and what wasn't.

I'm really missing it right now, I took it for granted.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have created a completely unofficial "Resource Manager" which is basically a glorified file manager. This is more of a "proof of concept," since my 'testing' was by running each command, once. It requires Java 1.8 to run.    

To run, copy the dist/MV_Resource_Manager.jar somewhere and type this from a command prompt:

java -jar MV_Resource_Manager.jar

To use:

First, select a game by clicking on the "Load Game" button.  Then choose a directory where your RPG Maker MV game lives.  This will enable the "Import" "Check Audio" and "Delete" buttons.

Secondly, to import, select the desired type of import on the left column, then press "Import," and browse to the files you want to import.

The "Check Audio" looks through the game's audio folders and should complain if an audio file does not have both an OGG and M4A audio file --- if the latter is missing, it won't work on mobile.

To use "Delete," select the type of data on the left column, then the desired files on the right column.  This will ask for confirmation before deleting.

"Exit" is self-explanatory.

It does not interface with the Steam Workshop and it does not do any transparency setting on images it supports.  

But you can use it to view the set of files in a project and import or delete files from a single screen, on a per-game basis. 

I have included the full source code so anyone more ambitious than I can modify it to their heart's content.

I hope this helps.

MV Resource Manager.zip

Attachments

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Ohhhh, niiiice! In the meanwhile, i'll totally make use of this. The only thing it needs to be, in order to pretty much be just the thing I need, is transparency support....

sbloom85

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Something that will not be easy to do, I'm sure.

midnyte64

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
When I look at the Resource Manager, I never saw it as required to get the files into my games, and would regularly use the current method. There is however one major flaw in my eyes with removing the manager, and that is managing your resources, or having a single place where you can go to view all of them. For me it made zero technical advantage, but made a major impact in my planning for my games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have tried, several times to understand how Markiplier is popular. You can't deny his popularity. I can only get through a few minutes of his vids, though. He's cringier than ANY cringe comp I've ever watched. When I was a kid, if you acted like that, 0 friends and 100% no dates for you. Times have changed XD
Sometimes you may feel helpless and defeated. But everyone loses from time to time. It's okay to be tired. Take a breather. Have a good cry if you need to. You gotta take breaks from your workout, or you'll collapse before you can get stronger.
So, my roommates wrote a news article in English, translated it into Bengali with google translate and now I'm helping them fix the monstrosity which was the result. Making English the medium of education is fine... but not to an extent that we forget how to write properly in our own language :")
Stream will be live shortly with some more Minecraft spriting! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SehoraX