Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@HotAndColdAF and @mlogan Except it does say one "village/town/city" - and I personally don't think that a space ship fits that, particularly as it goes on to say "it's time to brush up on those town mapping skills" (emphasis mine).

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, unless the spaceship is also a village/town (I mean, we could have a Macross situation), and the whole game took part in the village/town party of the spaceship, then it doesn't fit the theme.

HotAndColdAF

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I kind of figured that would be the answer, but it's good to have it clarified in writing. Thank you!

Anomaly

coffee.empty? ? refill_coffee : drink_coffee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
[US] English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've owned every RPG Maker that's come out and still have never truly made a full game to completion. I'm in.

KV_Kingdom

Furry Potato
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’m excited for this jam! Where do we submit our games? On this thread?

QuantumCapybara

Money Can't Buy Capyness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I find mapping large areas a chore anyway so man I am so down for this. Great idea. I am in like flynn. I want in to this jam as bad as I want into the big bag of sugar you forgot you have in your lower kitchen cabinet.

Space Station habitat sounds to me like an awesome idea and I think it fits the premise but what do I know? I do want to ask about other disabled/wrecked vehicles the skeletons of which have become de-facto settlements. Like, I'm not personally thinking about making a gam about merfolk that live in an undersea shipwreck, I'm just wondering if such a thing would be allowed.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Space Station habitat is honestly yeah a city/town, so go for it. I mean, at least in the sci-fi case. As long as it operates like a city and not like something else, then sure.

TSR

The Northern Frog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @Touchfuzzy, I plan to make a game where someone is infected by a virus and stay quarantine at home (so, of course he won't travel).
But the game would actually take place in his body. So yeah, you're gonna play the Virus...
Human body does, to a certain extend, operates like a city. It has streets/roads (blood vessels), house and buildings (cells and organs) and inhabitant (the white blood cells, wich as a Virus, will be the ones to avoid :p).

I think it fit perfects for this harsh period of quarantine and viral fear. A game is a good medium for people to learn something about Virus and Immunity, while having fun in the meantime. It would also probably be the only time where I could wear both my hats of Game Developper and Microbiologist.

I really like this idea and I've already started mapping and coding, so I'm gonna stick to it.
But of course, it would be cool if it could fit it this Game Jam.

Regards,
TSR

KURAMAA0

KURAMA
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RetailDrone7576 Make the style game you want to make.

@HotAndColdAF Perhaps Touchfuzzy will clarify, but I think being set on a vehicle is fine as long as you stay on the vehicle and aren’t say, traveling planet to planet. Touchfuzzy says put it in a town.

@KazukiT Not limited to RTP.

Remember everyone, the spirit of this is to complete a game with the theme of staying in one location. This isn’t a contest with prizes so there aren’t a ton of rules and restriction. It’s just meant to be a fun, productive thing to do while many of us have more free time. So make it with an RM engine or VNM, keep it in one town/location and you’re good to go.
It's okay if teleportation is used ? (not like from country to country but to go to a cave for example)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KURAMAA0 No, we discussed the fact that something like, a forest outside of the town is not okay, so teleporting to a cave would not work either.

Hyouryuu-Na

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bangla
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mlogan Sorry for bothering with questions but is it ok to show a character in a different town in a flashback? The background is that they were in a different town but moved to a newer one where the game takes place (It's a cutscene so the player can't play this part)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Touchfuzzy answered that earlier saying that as long as it is a cutscene and the player can not control the character, it is acceptable.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TSR As long as its treated like a town/village then sure? It is definitely an edge case though.

(Also for some reason the forums decided to stop alerting me about this thread even though I have it set to watch}

Reactions: TSR

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@M.I.A. idk if I was suppose to blow the hint but I'm way too much of a power ranger fan to not praise this. Idk if it's a parody or an in target storyline but your Billy and and ayesha are especially awesome!

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's a nod to the Power Ranger/Super Sentai idea. :) They aren't particularly modeled after the real rangers, but I wanted to kinda capture some qualities of some characters. Haha! Hopefully I can work on it and complete something this month!

-MIA

maage

Same as it's always been.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
This seems like fun. I think I'll dust off my RM skills and get to it!

D.L. Yomegami

Sanely Insane
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Would a forest at the center of the town be pushing it a little too far? The idea I'm kicking around at the moment would have something like that. Think a town park, but instead of being purely recreational it has significance to the local inhabitants in some fashion.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am working on a minigame-collection. Would limiting the game to an amusement park in a city fall within the premise of this jam?

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am working on a minigame-collection. Would limiting the game to an amusement park in a city fall within the premise of this jam?
It should according to every post the real is simply you cant leave the fantasy location. aka as long as your game doesnt have a world map or fast travel feature

Its reflective of our times. Just pretend the project your making has state lockdowns in affect, you cant leave the kingdom of Holden to go to the village of vash but you can get to every store, amusement park, Coliseum, house, etc. Within Holden. Because it's one location.

Chroma-Creative-Solutions

Graphic Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just to make sure, as I dont want to assume, but we can make interiors for all the building on the map, or just the dungeon on the map?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Newest RPG Maker drops: hey fellas, get on the MZ train to somewhere

Me: Building my VX Ace lego tower, blissfully unaware of time moving forward
When you are trying to make progress in your game. But something is stopping your motivation. Like come on mind! Let me do what I want! :<
Tfw everyone is trying their hardest to brainstorm about unique ideas and game mechanics, here I am just going: "How am I gonna event conversations with busts" everyday. :kaoswt2:
Comedy is third person, tragedy is first person.
Man. A historic 130 year old church nearby had all of its windows broken out with bricks last night. Such a shame, it wasn't generic stained glass patterns either but had beautifully crafted murals depicting various parts of the gospels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadyElselin