Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Noble_logo_transparent_scaled.png

Synopsis

What does it mean to be Noble? Is it a title you are born to? Is it a label the world gives you because they think you did something great? Or is it something more?

Noble is the story of two heroes that struggle to learn what it truly means to be noble. When our story begins, Princess Luan n’Belstra is only days away from turning 18 and being crowned Queen of Antrul. She hadn’t wanted to be Queen at so young an age, but her mother’s disappearance over a year ago has brought her responsibility much earlier than expected. Luan is not without advantages. She’s spent the last year preparing and learning all the details she hadn’t bothered with. She has the fierce loyalty of the most notable swordsman in the kingdom, her half-brother Gavin. She herself is a Maega (a powerful sorceress) whose power has not been matched since her mother disappeared. By all accounts, she should be ready.

The only hitch is the invading army, and they will almost certainly have their own opinions about who will rule the kingdom once they have it under their control.

As we explore the story of Noble, we will join Luan and Gavin as they flee from the invaders and try to take back their kingdom. Along the way, they will face many challenges that throw into question their beliefs:

1) Luan’s mother was herself a conquerer. She led an army of Maega to conquer Antrul before Luan was born. People call her the Liberator, but were her motives truly so noble?
2) What happens when Luan and Gavin are split apart… and they both have very different ideals on what will be needed to reclaim their kingdom?
3) How will the heroes react when they each lose their most precious talents? Will they delve into the forbidden if it helps free their people?
4) The enemy has their own factions… Is it worth allying with one to destroy the other? And what price will they demand?
5) What about the cities that welcome the invaders?

Tone

Noble is really a coming-of-age story as Luan and Gavin realize that they cannot continue to live their lives the way they always have. More than just fighting against the enemy, they have to find nobility within themselves and become leaders if they are going to save their kingdom.

Lots of lore in this world. Including it here for color and interest to help show why this isn’t just another “invading army, gotta save our village” game.

Antrul - The kingdom of Antrul is spread across several islands found within a sea filling an enormous crater. Visitors to the kingdom must traverse down a narrow mountain pathway to the base, and then take a ferry to the main island chain. Once on the islands, travel is a little easier as the islands are connected by magical bridges powered by the Rupem (see below). For hundreds of years, Antrul was ruled by the Aedifors, men who were able to channel power from the Rupem into magical artifacts (like the bridges) and create a civilization. Two decades ago, the Aedifor rule was disrupted by Allisaire n’Belstra, a powerful sorceress (called a Maega) that successfully drove them from the kingdom.

Kalphora - An enormous military kingdom beyond the Antrul crater (and surrounding it on all sides). Over the centuries, they have occasionally tried to conquer Antrul, but between the difficult access path and the magic possessed by the inhabitants, this has always resulted in failure.

Rupem - A massive glowing rock set at the center of the Antrul crater which serves as the source of all magic. Not all people can draw powerful from the Rupem, but those who can fall into one of two buckets. Women are Maega, and men are Aedifors. The Rupem has also had several shards broken off from it over the years, each able to channel the power of the Rupem (although limited).

Maega - Women who can refract the power of the Rupem. Depending on a number of factors, Maega have different powers, but for the most part they control invisible forces the act physically on the world. Especially powerful Maega are known as Sumaega, but only 4 women have held that title in the last two decades (two being Luan and her mother). Maega created from shards of the Rupem are often looked down upon.

Aedifors - Men who can use the power of the Rupem to Illuminate objects they build. The most powerful of these objects are near-sentient “mech” known as Animants.

Luan.png
Luan n’Belstra

Princess Luan has always been on the carefree side. The world has always been easy for her. Her mother was young and would probably rule for many decades, so nothing to worry about there. Her freakish potency of magic has enabled her to never really dedicate herself to learning the intricacies of how to use it, nor make friends with other Maega. She’s generally a loner, and more-or-less happy that way. When her mother vanished, she knew she’d have to step up and has made an effort to do so, but it’s hard for her to build momentum.

Gavin su’Belstra

Gavin is Luan’s half-brother and is older than her by 4 years. His mother died in childbirth, and his father (and Luan’s) was a member of the Council of Aedifors before the Liberator arrived. His father died while he was still a youth and most of his life has been in the charge of his step-mother, Allisaire (Luan’s mother). He has always known that Luan would ascend to the throne and spent years of his life honing himself to be a weapon that would be of value to her once she did. As such, he has become a prodigy of fighting skill, and has built a number of connections with not only Antrul’s small military, but also with the Maega that help defend the city. He is proud and desperate to prove himself.

Isera
Isera.png

Isera is a shard-witch from Kalphor that fled to Antrul once she first touched a shard and discovered her power. She serves in the arMaega (Maega defending the city). She is older than her years, has seen terrible violence and faced hardship. She is at times solemn, but at other times she shows a sarcastic wit that keeps Gavin on his toes.

Darren
Darren.png

Darren is a camp follower of the Kalphor army that has followed them all the way to Antrul. Luan meets him early and he agrees to help her, although he is clearly uncomfortable at going against his own people.

Features/Mechanics

• Dual protagonist system that will allow the player to switch back and forth, each with their own methods of trying to retake the kingdom. There are certain quests that will have different outcomes depending on which hero is completing them.
  • Personality/Alignment system that drives dialog options, which in turn drives the components of the game
  • No gritty combat mechanics - The heroes will have health and “mana” and face obstacles that can (and will) tax both… But these will be resolved by presented options the player may select from. The game will be very much like a highly interactive choose-your-own-adventure story.
  • Military Readiness, Motivation, and Enemy Discord will be built up over the game to chart how ready the player is to go after the final showdown. Quests can cause increases (and decreases- maybe the quest helped save a childhood friend, but the time lost resulted in atrophy of morale!) in these values, which in turn will influence how the game ends.

Screenshots

The game is just now going into production stages, so the screenshots are limited… But I do have some screenshots of my design planning!
SS1.png
Quick flow diagram of the first "quest hub" after Gavin and Luan escape!

SS2.png
Uh-oh! Big things going on here!

SS3.png
Oh no! Is it a flashback? I think so. Apparently, her followers are already calling her the Liberator.

Current State
  • I’ve completed the story-boarding of the plot, which includes drill-down of each scene, referencing who’s involved and where it’s located (in many cases I get all the way down to the actual dialog script).
  • I’ve written the plugin for my Alignment/Decision tree system, which leverages some great plugins by Yanfly.
  • I’ve started to build the maps outside of RMMV using mapping software so I can make decisions about which tilesets to use

Final Remarks

So that’s the overview. I’ll continue to post as I make progress. Very excited to finally be at this point. My only sadness is that I have absolutely no artistic talent so I’ll probably be using character portraits, tiles, and sprites that RMMV provides, or ones that I can find on the forum. If any artist is intrigued by the story and wants to get involved (at any level), I’m certainly open! Anyways, looking forward to making progress and hearing feedback! Will continue to update with screenshots as I finish scenes.

EDIT 6/12/2017: Updated to add logo made by @PunkFile and to fix an issue with one of the spoiler tags.

Last edited:

InBlast

The Mad Hamster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Your project look interesting ! but it lacks of screenshots :p
Which program do you use for the flow diagram ?

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks! Screenshots will be coming as I start in on the actually development of the game.

I storyboard with Articy:draft. A little pricey, but I love the way you can nest scenes within scenes.

Pikheat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds interesting! I am excited to see more of your project.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've decided to try and be more social and less nervous about engaging. I'm always over thinking things - from now on when I'm worried or don't get something I'll just ask.
Sometimes a mechanic that is meant to add challenge is just annoying. Even the Final Fantasy games did not completely escape this pitfall of design. (FF8 draw system I'm looking at you - grrrr)
starting working on the sprites for one of my games major antagonists finally. here's the first frame of his chanting motion in battle.
Have spent too much time hammering out with a friend just how to make a reoccurring enemy that permanently learns skills you use against her.
I know what I want in a loose sense. Maybe I should just make a post asking for opinions and suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad_At_Scripting