Non-combat Actions in Modern settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kovak, Apr 2, 2018.

1. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    From lockpicking a door with digital lock to turning a car engines on, defining what can be or not be done out of combat is a pain. In some situations our solution is to make mini-games or to deal with a separated kind of dungeons to simulate a task. How do you guys deal with it since it brings extra complexity to your game?

starlight dream and Frogboy like this.
  2. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, you know my solution to this this issue, at least, mechanically speaking. As for out of combat modern setting skills, I'd look at things like hacking, vehicle operation and repair, cyber warfare, different kinds of weapon training, cybernetics if modern means futuristic, spying, disguise and subterfuge, jumping out of airplanes or spacecraft etc. Of course, a lot of the stuff used in medieval settings are relevant too. Things like swimming, escape artist, jumping, deceit etc.

3. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think it depends on exactly what kind of story you're trying to tell in a modern setting and what your game's core mechanics are. You can get really creative with it, based on that!

The first field skill my party gets is called ZAP (subject to change); the character lets off a very minor static discharge that can be used to jumpstart/power small electronics or electrical panels, start small fires, or... wake sleeping people up (like a static shock). It fits in with my game's core mechanics, and the effects carry over into battle (zap is the skill used to wake sleeping party members or short circuit electronic enemies) so everything feels nice and cohesive.

My process: core mechanics first, gimmick/puzzle skills second.