MrKiwi

No Flying Bird
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried to make a cool sounding title... but I think its quite ridicolous... oh nevermind.

Hello there fellow makers, everyone has a different way to make games, some go for an insanely scheduled development, others (like me) have a more casual an sporadic programming rhythm, and then find yourself in the middlepoint.

However, no matter what, everyone has its own strenghts, preferences or motivations; so, let's talk about some of those skills that are not exclusive to game making, but that helped you a lot through this journey. If you don't get what I mean I'll explain mines as an example:

I really like games of the "storytelling" aproach, and what really has helped me a lot when (trying to) make these projects, its my experience on film making. I went over a 6 months course of film making basics; things as casting, inplacements, continuity, ambience and narrative elements are something I'm familiar with. Many of my audiovisual productions have this "filmic" feel and structure (even when it really is not
necessary), I always double check the continuity between scenes and analyze the plot-enviroment relationship to make it feel accuarate; yes, it consumes way more time, but I'm ensuring a flawless narrative. (hopefully someday I'll finish something...)

As for storytelling itself, and character design and progression: I love drawing comic strips (also have some full stories in notebooks, but those were made a few years ago and now they are really cringy to me...) and thanks to this I have some experience building and moving scenes. Actually I almost got one of my works published on a little magazine back in 2015... but due to technical issues it never happened... (oh, well...) A more specific use of this experience is the making of storyboards for my projects, this ended up being really usefull when making cutscenes,
its like easier to translate your idea to the program, because I've already seen it.

I think these two are some of my most influential non gamedev skill that helped me a lot when it comes to make a game, so what about you guys? Wonder how do you use some of your experiences!

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I have a degree in psychology and human counseling. Also, I work at a drug rehab facility. I like to think this gives me a different perspective than the average person when it comes to understanding people's motivations. I would consider this a non-dev skill that helps me when it comes to story writing and character development for my own game.

MrKiwi

No Flying Bird
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HumanNinjaToo That's neat, those knowledges definetly might be useful for in depth character building, and perhaps making a bit more consistent the effects of certain factor/event in a character mentality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People3_5 and People3_8 added!

so hopefully tomorrow i get to go home from the hospital i've been here for 5 days already and it's driving me mad. I miss my family like crazy but at least I get to use my own toiletries and my own clothes. My mom is coming to visit soon i can't wait to see her cause i miss her the most. :kaojoy:
Couple hours of work. Might use in my game as a secret find or something. Not sure. Fancy though no? :D
Holy stink, where have I been? Well, I started my temporary job this week. So less time to spend on game design... :(
Cartoonier cloud cover that better fits the art style, as well as (slightly) improved blending/fading... fading clouds when there are larger patterns is still somewhat abrupt for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
write2dgray