Non-Party Member Support Characters

UltimusLight

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello, I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask but I wasn't sure where else to ask this at. Basically my question is, what would someone need to look for if they wanted to have a one member party for their game, but wanted support characters?

For an example of what I mean is kind of like the party members in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, where they're 'party members', but the main party in battle is actually the main character and his summons (not exactly what I have in mind, but it's the only example I can think of offhand).

But basically what I want to do is have a companion slot that lets someone use support abilities but you don't directly control that character. Sorry if that's kind of vague.

Waterguy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I remember 4 right (didn't get Apocalypse yet), it is a just fifth, secret party slot set to Autobattle and with a low TRG. I mean, while not officially in the party they can still be attacked, even if mainly by multi-opponent hits.

The harder part would be to make them invisible and be chosen randomly between the options at the start of a battle.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've added a support type ability in a couple fixed battles of my game by setting up an event under the troop page to run every 1*X turn, and it selects from a pool of random abilities, then applies a force action to that support member to make them do the ability.

As for targeting, I never actually put the party member in the party (seems force action works even if they are not in the party, at least in ACE). This way no one could target them, and when the main party was gone, so were they. The only problem is they don't get EXP this way, so you'll have to play around with it to give them EXP if you desire to do that.

UltimusLight

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I see! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kid : "MOOOMM! My poop is bloody red!" Me, an intellectual : "There's worm parasite inside your body. You gonna die soon."
Caught a guy trying to break into our house today. Appearantly he intended to burgle our neighbor (a 94yo widow) but picked the wrong house. Faced with two angry males he was quick to give up without a fight...
I just joined the club of nerds making their own Excel-Sheets to calculate HP / MP / EXP.. parameter curves
Me: "Finally finished most of my game backlog. Probably time to do some gamedev" | Steam: *offer sales*
If I recorded while I created (what I think is) a small plugin, would you be interested enough in the process to watch it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanyasj