Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am abit sick of the light/medium/heavy armor troupe. Trying to figure out something else.

Maybe something like.

ENCHANTED: +Recovery / +Barrier / State resists
MITHRIL: +Potion Strength / +Evasion / M.Evasion / physical resistances
RUNEFORGED: +Crit resistance / +HP / magical resistances

All types can be either cloth, leather or plate (look wise) but specializes in different defensive areas. No type has an advantage when it comes to def/mdef.

Lorewise:

Enchanted is just enchanted gear. Most enchants have magical effects (duh) so it is a favorite of mages but many warriors use it as well, especially when fighting mages due to resistances towards nasty magical effects like charm, paralysis etc.

Mithril is a special ore said to be the blood of a dead god (silly dwarven myth) unlike other metals
this can be incorporated into all kinds of armor. You can grind it into a liquid substance and it will act as a coat, basically magical paint. The ore has special properties that protects against
physical attacks.

Runeforged: Basically just equipment with runes in them, generally metal armors as they are easier to imbue runes into. Runes were invented by dwarves who often fought against magic users so they focused on runes which warded against magic.

Anyone use anything similar or different?

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I took a page out of World of Warcraft and divided my armor into 4 categories, defined by the type of material it's made from: Cloth, Leather, Mail, & Plate

However, that's where the similarity ends. Each armors category confers traits that they all have in common, apart from the unique stats/bonuses each individual armor may confer.

All armor of the following category will...
Cloth: 75% TP charge rate & 75% MP cost rate
Leather: 125% TP charge rate & 125% MP cost rate
Mail: 100% TP charge rate & 100% MP cost rate
Plate: -5% TP regeneration

Explanation:
  • Cloth armor is better suited for casters and allows for Mana to flow freely from the user to the environment, making spells more efficient to cast. However, it is clumsier to wear, thus generating less TP from actions that generate TP. (Insert gif of a mage tripping over his robe)
  • Leather armor is like the opposite of cloth, in that it is easy to maneuver in, thus allows for more TP generation. However, since leather is made from the skin/hide of other creatures (or any organism that ≠ the wearer), the flow of Mana is somewhat less efficient since Mana tends to flow through living or formerly living tissue. Last I checked a cow's DNA and a human's (or orc/elf/etc) aren't the same.
  • Mail is basically in between Cloth & Leather in terms of MP & TP efficiency, while also usually boasting a bit more armor. It is not as cumbersome Cloth, but more so than Leather. Also since it isn't made from animals, Mana can flow more freely than Leather, but less so than Cloth due to it being made of metal. Note that Mail made from heavy metals such as Adamantite will have a slight Speed penalty.
  • Plate armor is heavy and taxing for the user to wear, thus draining 5TP per turn. This can be negated through a passive in the Guardian tree, however. May also incur a Speed penalty depending on the type of metal used in its construction. In exchange, Plate usually confers more stats than the other 3 types of armor.
Apart from these effects, each individual piece of armor will have its own stat bonuses and/or effects. These may include the primary stats (Strength, Dexterity, Intellect, Armor, Resist, or Speed) or secondary stats (Hit, Crit, Counter, Block, Armor Pen., Spell Pen., Evasion, Magic Evasion, Crit Evasion, & Crit Multiplier).

Note that the 75% & 125% figure is for the combined effect of wearing all pieces of that type. Helm, Gloves, & Boots slots each contribute a 5% modifier while the Body slot contributes 10%, for a total of 25%. Similarly, Plate Helm, Gloves, & Boots will drain 1TP per turn, while Plate Body armor will drain 2TP. You can mix and match different armor types as you see fit.

Edit: In regards to your enchanted/runeforged idea, I have a thematically similar concept in my game, but functionally different. Instead, armors can be augmented w/ gems and runes (YEP_X_AttachAugments). Since magic is so abundant in my game's world, even the most basic of armor is mildly enchanted. Only bums would have unenchanted armor lol. At the same time, most armor worn by soldiers are only modestly enchanted to confer some magic resistance, but nothing crazy. This is simply the result of the technological arms race that develops in a world abundant in magic. Our protagonist's home town/village is the only place in the land w/ access to mass-produced highly enchanted equipment. This is due to the protagonist & friends' parents were adventurers themselves and had conquered epic dungeons in their prime, coming home w/ phat lewtz. (think Golden Sun 1 & 2 vs Goldun Sun: Dark Dawn) Anyways, the town/village has some of the most skilled blacksmiths, craftsmen, & enchanters/artificers in the land, and were able to reverse engineer said phat lewtz. This allowed the town to prosper economically and created a monopoly on epic enchanted equipment that's highly sought after by all factions. However, due to the jealously and greed of other said factions (these include elves, humans, & orcs), assassins were sent to eliminate the town professionals and steal the blueprints. They succeeded in the assassination, but you, the player, are able to thwart the theft of said blueprints. And since the 1st generation of adventurers (aka you and your friends' parents) are past their prime, it falls to you to go hunt for new phatter lewtz than evar b4~!

And that is the intro to my game.

Last edited:

Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@staf00 This system is well made and i had something similar before, which is why im trying to find some new way. I want to have separate types but that you can tank,dps or heal in any or most. It depends more on the individual item itself and how you combine them.

I also considered having that all three types can have any stat just in different ways.

Enchanted Armor: These items comes with an enchant on them which is more powerful then runes but had a detrimental effect aswell, like +12str / -5int.

Mithril: (will prolly change the name): Upgradeable armor that starts off weak but has the potential to be strong if you have the money (money is fairly difficult to get in large amounts and you need it to upgrade skills aswell)

Runeforged armor actually has rune slots in them (augments) and you can forge/find runes to insert into them, basically choosing your own stats.

So if you like crafting then runeforged might be better, and if you go for a money build as they might be the only ones that can affort mithril.

And enchanted is fairly random so its for combat oriented characters (dungeon delvers)

Gah!! too many options...

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think as long as you can come up with some logical explanation for why things are the way things are in your world, you'll be ok. Like if I were an inhabitant of your world, I would wonder why something couldn't be enchanted and also have runes on it. Or be enchanted, with runes, and made of mithril lol.

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I like my armor to do different things too besides stats so I'm currently exploring by essentially making all armor add layered health.
Some characters have armor, a layer of hp that reduces damage but has to be repaired costing resources, other characters have barriers, which provide less damage resist but regen in battle.

So in dungeons, armor characters have a relatively high armor pool but once it's gone in a fight it's tough to replace. Out of battle armor mends without expending resources.
Barrier characters have to juggle with the aggro so that barriers don't break, because if they do it stops regenerating for a few turns but they regen every turn otherwise. In the end through careful management they can tank more than armor characters but are more susceptible to burst damage.

Then the actual items have different amount of stats, resists, some have on hit effects (like armor that returns damage on hit), some have effects when the shield breaks etc.
You can have big shields that don't regen much, small shields that regen a lot. A lot of armor with good resists or less armor but with an added effect, etc.
You usually can't have both armor and barriers, but if you do barriers drain first.

Planning for this is made possible by the fact that you can see the action enemies will take next turn over their head, ala Slay the Spire. I'm debating over also adding their next target.

Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like my armor to do different things too besides stats so I'm currently exploring by essentially making all armor add layered health.
Some characters have armor, a layer of hp that reduces damage but has to be repaired costing resources, other characters have barriers, which provide less damage resist but regen in battle.

So in dungeons, armor characters have a relatively high armor pool but once it's gone in a fight it's tough to replace. Out of battle armor mends without expending resources.
Barrier characters have to juggle with the aggro so that barriers don't break, because if they do it stops regenerating for a few turns but they regen every turn otherwise. In the end through careful management they can tank more than armor characters but are more susceptible to burst damage.

Then the actual items have different amount of stats, resists, some have on hit effects (like armor that returns damage on hit), some have effects when the shield breaks etc.
You can have big shields that don't regen much, small shields that regen a lot. A lot of armor with good resists or less armor but with an added effect, etc.
You usually can't have both armor and barriers, but if you do barriers drain first.

Planning for this is made possible by the fact that you can see the action enemies will take next turn over their head, ala Slay the Spire. I'm debating over also adding their next target.
I like it, it reminds me of the armor mechanic in divinity original sin 2 only with your own twist :p I love this sort of stuff, i just dont know how to do it xD

I think as long as you can come up with some logical explanation for why things are the way things are in your world, you'll be ok. Like if I were an inhabitant of your world, I would wonder why something couldn't be enchanted and also have runes on it. Or be enchanted, with runes, and made of mithril lol.
I know the feel, i am actually trying not to overthink everything like that or ill just burn out or want to restart xD But ill prolly figure something out.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In my game The Wastes, I have some basic stuff like clothes or light armor like flak vests, but my main system will be plate carriers and replaceable armor plates. As my game has a big focus on realism, this will be better than the light/medium/heavy armor trope that doesn't really apply to modern times. For instance so far I have:
Wood Plate
Mutant Scale Plate
Lead Plate (for blocking radioactive attacks)
Level 1 Ceramic Plate
Level 2 Ceramic Plate
Level 3 Ceramic Plate
Reinforced Level 1 Plate (interwoven with polymer fiber for better durability)
Reinforced Level 2 Plate (see above)
Reinforced Level 3 Plate (see above)
Prototype Plastic Plate (pure polymer, so unlike ceramic they don't shatter and can take multiple shots due to bullets heating up the plastic, which then cools and traps the bullet.)

Tech

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Path of Exile has only Heavy armors actually increase your Defense stat, sans a certain perk. Light armor increases Evasion, and Wizard robes and Chainmail increases your Energy Shielding.

Last edited:

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Path of Exile has only Heavy armors actually increase your Defense stat, sans a certain perk. Light armor increases Evasion, and Wizard robes and Chainmail increases your Energy Shielding.
Path of Exile's system is very confusing for new players because they expect the stats to work in an easy to understand, intuitive way. In reality, it's the opposite. Armor in PoE is good against small hits, but only blocks a tiny portion of big hits, which is very strange, so it's effectively useless. Evansion works in an equally confusing way, where the more you have past a certain threshold, the effect becomes exponentially worse. I don't know if they changed it recently or not, since the last League I played in any capacity was Delve.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use light, heavy, and magical armor types. Sorry to disappoint, not very creative.

I structured it as such:

Light headgear = +spell defense and +HP
Light armor = +spell defense and +HP
Heavy headgear = +spell defense and +attack power
Heavy armor = +defense and +attack power
Magic headgear = +spell defense, +spell power and +MP
Magic armor = +defense, +spell power and +MP

Any further properties may be added by the player via crafting system or attachments. I'm going for a pretty standard 4 element system, so if a player adds some extra ingredient when crafting, they can fine tune equipment for resistances and things of that nature.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Your idea works, as does everyone else's in this thread. Just do what you want to do, and go for it. You're only limited by your imagination.

My next game is going to have a refrigerator as a playable character, and his armor types are going to be magnets and cooking pans.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I took a slightly different structure in that heavier armor impedes mana flow and lighter armor aids it, so you get gains or penalties to MP. That gave me the following for my 5 types of armor:

Robes: Lightest armor, worst DEF/MDF bonus, best MP bonus.
Cheer Gear: 2nd lightest armor, slightly better DEF/MDF than Robes, small AGI bonus (as they are designed for fast movement), some MP bonus.
Clothing: 3rd armor, neither good nor bad at anything.
Leather Armor: 4th armor, small penalty to MP and AGI, higher DEF/MDF than Clothing.
Mail Armor: Best armor, huge MP/AGI penalty, best DEF/MDF stats of all types.

What I did notice though was tying them to AGI meant few used Leather or Mail armor, so I may tweak that some in a future game. Also for future games I am looking into other variants, but all ideas are preliminary so hard to say more on them, but I'll post one here:

Auras. Not really armor, but instead you are guarded by magical forces which reduce damage taken. Also they come with the best MP bonus and even a small MP regen bonus. However they are no substitute for even a good set of robes when it comes to damage blocking.

I'd have to test it in testing to see IF it works though, its a very preliminary idea.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp That's something I've paid attention to as a gamer: I tend to favor AGI over most other stats because, generally, being faster or going first is a better defense than actual DEF stats. I had a similar idea to your own in regards to trading one stat for another. Then I realized, at least for my own game, that not having any negative stats tied into equipment worked best.

On another note, one thing I always struggle with is coming up with battle mechanics that work well together without being too gimmick-y. One thing I'm trying out right now is using each characters MDF stat as essentially a magic shield. Using Yanfly absorption barrier plugin, whatever MDF rating I have on an armor piece is actually how much will be added to the character's absorption barrier upon equipping it. Taking a page from some tactical games I've played, I'm trying to work out using the absorption barrier to prevent the character from being inflicted with status ailments (still a work in progress atm). In this way, I'm trying to make there be more risk/reward type play when it comes to equipment and the stat bonuses offered by the equipment.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@HumanNinjaToo : I noticed that too, and when I watched others stream my game they rarely use the top two armors due to the AGI penalty. I'm thinking next game I'll either lower it or come up with another tradeoff to offset the high DEF.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp That's something I've paid attention to as a gamer: I tend to favor AGI over most other stats because, generally, being faster or going first is a better defense than actual DEF stats. I had a similar idea to your own in regards to trading one stat for another. Then I realized, at least for my own game, that not having any negative stats tied into equipment worked best.
Yea many games severely underpower their DEF/MDF stats. In my game, I made sure these stats are useful, conferring extra bonuses in addition to just dmg reduction. Armour (DEF) increases Block chance and Resistance (MDF) increases healing received.

I also utilize Yanfly's absorption barrier plugin but in a different way. In my game, absorption barriers are can be gained by only a couple of select spells, and the target/recipient of the absorption barrier will get bonus barrier points the higher their MDF is, but the majority of the barrier points is derived from the caster's Intellect (MAT).

Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Refining my system, just curious....Are passive effects like this even possible?

ARCANE WARRIOR: Increases your STR by 50% of your INT.
BLADE DANCER: Increases your CRI by an amount equal to your EVA.

Yea many games severely underpower their DEF/MDF stats. In my game, I made sure these stats are useful, conferring extra bonuses in addition to just dmg reduction. Armour (DEF) increases Block chance and Resistance (MDF) increases healing received.

I also utilize Yanfly's absorption barrier plugin but in a different way. In my game, absorption barriers are can be gained by only a couple of select spells, and the target/recipient of the absorption barrier will get bonus barrier points the higher their MDF is, but the majority of the barrier points is derived from the caster's Intellect (MAT).
I usually have stats increase secondary stats aswell but it doesnt fit my current game, you do get HP from def and MP from mdf tho, and you dont get that from many other sources.

Last edited:

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Refining my system, just curious....Are passive effects like this even possible?

ARCANE WARRIOR: Increases your STR by 50% of your INT.
BLADE DANCER: Increases your CRI by an amount equal to your EVA.
I'd like to know how to implement these types of passives as well. The problem is, I don't know how to implement evals outside of some of Yanfly's notetags. If I could, these would be easy to implement. Someone please help us! ^.^

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp I never used those armors with the big AGI penalty, even early game, precisely because if you do, then you get hammered before you can act. As the character with the most obvious affinity with them was also the one who had the best DEF buffs for individuals or whole party, obviously I wanted him to go before the enemy. I think it illustrates what happens when one aspect (armour stats) actively works against some other aspect of the system.

This is something I've seen more of recently - malus effects so strong that I cannot imagine any player using the armour/accessory/whatever.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is something I've seen more of recently - malus effects so strong that I cannot imagine any player using the armour/accessory/whatever.
This made me think of Bane from Borderlands 2, lol. Damn that gun...

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes : I noticed that watching a few others streaming my game too. My thought is to maybe drop the heavy armor completely and replace it with something the party is more likely to want or use, or maybe just give it the MP penalty. Ideas are in testing though, but I won't know more until my game after Shipwrecked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Working on Zelda-like tileset. Should be greatly refined. And tonight extra pave tiles, outward corners, abyss and water...
Is it possible to move posts from the in-progress project forum to completed games? I think I need to message a mod but a bit worried about bothering them
Bleeding Moons has its release date: September 3rd!
Do you stick with the RM default, or set a custom one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaezyelnatz