Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure if you'd find it similar or even useful but...

Before I get started, you need to know that I have 3 attack stats and 3 defense stats. Attack, Magic, Speed are the attacking stats while Defense, Magic Defense, and Reflex are the stats that counter those stats.

A player could have the highest AGI in the game, but if they're using ATK as their primary offensive capability, then it could be rendered absolutely worthless against an enemy with high DEF capabilities.

Casual Clothes - No stats on them what-so-ever. Raises HP or MP Max values by the Tier of equipment and sometimes confers other Features that don't raise stats (percentage based increase, no flat amounts).

Cloth Armor - Magic Defense, Speed (Agility), and Reflex stat gains. Resistance against "Blunt" attacks (if wearing full cloth armor, it is around a 15-45% resist against it).

Leather Armor - Defense, Speed, Reflex stat gains. Resistance against "Blunt" (around 12-33% resist) and "Slashing" (around 5-20% resist).

Hard Leather Armor - Defense and Reflex stat gains. Resistance against "Slashing" (15-45% resist).

Chainmail - Defense and Reflex stat gains. Weakness to all magic (20-50%). Resistance to "Piercing" (50-95%).

Scalemail - Defense and Reflex stat gains. Weakness to all magic (30-70%). Resistance to "Slashing" (20-50%)

Platemail - Defense stat gains. Speed and Reflex stat loss. Weakness to all magic (50-200%). Weakness to Piercing (10-40%). Resistance to Blunt (20-50%) and Slashing (50-90%).

I'm not going to go into the full details on the stats up and down, but here's what you sort of need to know in general:

Cloth armor grants the most speed and reflex, and that gradually drops as the armor tier goes up. Defense goes up gradually as you move up the list.

Magic Defense is difficult to come by and you'll usually only get it as a "Feature" rather than a straight stat dump.

The "Weakness to all magic" means that any skill based in magic, regardless of its element... does that much more damage than it normally would.

The percentage ranges are if wearing all of the same type of armor and based upon tier with the low number being the lowest you can attain while the high end number is the most you can attain.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
tech, mech, poly, amorphous, saint and such can be good alternatives to use, especially if your looking for something unique.

Effects can be left up to the imagination.

Non traditional can be good but I personally prefer traditional

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I used real-life material data to extrapolate stats for my armor! Check it out:Armor Stats.png
Note: Mithril, Orichalcum, Adamantite, & Elementium are based on Titanium, Technetium, Osmium, & Diamond respectively. I probably won't implement Elementium into the game tho...it's too OP. Or maybe just a single piece for the body slot.

Last edited:

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Willibab What's your design goal here? The light/medium/heavy armor classifications are usually to dictate which characters (classes) are allowed to get tanky (and by extension force some characters, usually your highest-DPS characters like black mages or your highest-utility characters like priests, to remain squishy), creating a dynamic where some characters can frontline and others need to be protected.

Your system of Enchanted/Runeforged/Mithril (and most other setups I see described here) are more like features that can be added to armor at any given tier, and at any given point in the game. They're more like horizontal choices the player makes (would I rather have more Evasion, or more HP?). And that's great to have - I love horizontal choices in equipment - but it's a very different thing from light/medium/heavy armor forcing some classes to go glass cannon while others can tank. In fact, you could even consider removing categories entirely, and just having some equips that (for example) provide Evasion, some that provide HP, some that provide Recovery boosts, etc.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Willibab What's your design goal here? The light/medium/heavy armor classifications are usually to dictate which characters (classes) are allowed to get tanky (and by extension force some characters, usually your highest-DPS characters like black mages or your highest-utility characters like priests, to remain squishy), creating a dynamic where some characters can frontline and others need to be protected.
This is super important. My armors are divided into the traditional Cloth/Leather/Mail/Plate categories. Not only do I distinguish them by the role they're supposed to fulfill, but each category is crafted from materials distinct to its own category, w/ a few specific exceptions.

Cloth armor is obviously made from cloth of various types (cotton, wool, silk, etc...), Leather armor is made from hides from various beasts, Mail armor is made from scales of again various beasts, but can also be made from Mithril (one of the exceptions I mentioned), and lastly, Plate armor is made from metals as shown in the chart I posted.

I might introduce gambesons as its own category that only include armors for the "Body" slot, and have it made from a mix of materials from the Cloth & Leather category. This is still just an idea tho, I'll have to consider balancing to see if it's viable... The idea is that the combination of materials would negate the detriments of Cloth (lower TP charge rate) and Leather (higher MP cost). This would result in the same effect as my Mail armor category mechanically, but less raw stats. It would also be called a different category for flavor (Gambeson).

Note: Crafting is a prominent aspect of my game.

Edit: I'm also making the high-value armors (Silver, Gold, & Orichalcum) do 2 unique effects:
  1. Passively increases aggro/threat so enemies will more likely target the wearer. Basically they go...ooh look, shiny! Attack!
  2. For out of combat, each piece of armor will add to a custom actor variable/stat called Charisma or Prestige (haven't decided yet), which can affect how dialogues play out, how NPCs react to you overall and add extra dialogue options.
Edit2: I also wanted to remind fellow developers that w/e your armor categories are, all items within that category should follow a consistent set of effects. Like all Cloth should give X effect, and all Leather should give Y effect. You can then add w/e unique properties each individual piece of armor may have on top of the aforementioned effects of its parent category.

Last edited:

Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Your system of Enchanted/Runeforged/Mithril (and most other setups I see described here) are more like features that can be added to armor at any given tier, and at any given point in the game. They're more like horizontal choices the player makes (would I rather have more Evasion, or more HP?). And that's great to have - I love horizontal choices in equipment - but it's a very different thing from light/medium/heavy armor forcing some classes to go glass cannon while others can tank. In fact, you could even consider removing categories entirely, and just having some equips that (for example) provide Evasion, some that provide HP, some that provide Recovery boosts, etc.
My goal is more of an open system, i have revamped a lot during this thread but havent updated because im still unsure how it will end up.

For now i have that each cloth,leather or metal type is its own category,
I currently have 14 different types like Mithril Cloth, Chimera Leather, Dragonhide, Greysteel, Silverite, Etherium etc.

They all provide different bonuses that that type always have but normal stats may vary. A set is Head, Torso, Hands and Feet.

Example:

--- MYSTICAL CLOTH ---

Also known as ash cloth, made from the silky hairs of the rarely seen Phoenix. It is said to make the user recover quickly from injuries but at the cost of exhaustion.

Benefit per item:
+1% HP REGEN (Max +4%) (Note: Hp regen will be a very rare stat in my game)
+5% RECOVERY (Max +20%)

Detriment per item:
+15% MP COST (Max +60%)
-20% AP CHARGE (Max -80%)

Not all types will be this extreme, but this one makes it so a character can become fairly difficult to kill, especially if combined with shield. But it provides no extra threat (target rate) and you cant use a lot of abilities.

But if you combine one of these with other pieces that provides bonus -mp cost or +ap charge then you can somewhat offset the detriment but get a lower hp regen ofc.

I'm trying to make it so the player have a lot of choices and the ability to
play as hybrids.

I have changed Enchanting so that any item that drops can be enchanted (if i can figure out how to do that) and there are several enchanting templates that can occur depending on item type.

Example:

Cloth items:
ARCANE WARRIOR: Increases your STR by 50% of your INT.
BLADE DANCER: Increases your CRI by an amount equal to your EVA.

Runeforged is similar but you can choose the effects yourself with runes.

<WEAPON>

SIGNATURE RUNE: ADDS PREFIX NAME / SUFFIX NAME AND GAMEPLAY ALTERING EFFECTS
EMPOWERING RUNE: ADDS OFFENSIVE BONUSES

<ARMOR>

DESIGNATED RUNE: ADDS PREFIX / SUFFIX / GAMEPLAY ALERING EFFECTS
WARDING RUNE: GRANTS DEFENSIVE BONUSES

The enchanting and runeforging wont be just random tho, but the masters that can do it for you are out of the way and its expensive. Only certain backgrounds you can choose have access to them from the start (but lack other things ofc).

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Cloth items:
ARCANE WARRIOR: Increases your STR by 50% of your INT.
BLADE DANCER: Increases your CRI by an amount equal to your EVA.
I figured out how to do this! I don't remember where the thread you made asking about it went, but here's what I used: (courtesy of Yanfly's Tips & Tricks: Hestia Knife video)

<Custom Parameters>
atk = user.paramBase(2) * 0.10 + user.level;
</Custom Parameters>

That's the example given in the video, adjust as you see fit. The "(2)" refers to ATK, so change that depending on what you want it to scale off of. For MAT, it would be 4. You can omit the user.level if you want.

Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I figured out how to do this! I don't remember where the thread you made asking about it went, but here's what I used: (courtesy of Yanfly's Tips & Tricks: Hestia Knife video)

<Custom Parameters>
atk = user.paramBase(2) * 0.10 + user.level;
</Custom Parameters>

That's the example given in the video, adjust as you see fit. The "(2)" refers to ATK, so change that depending on what you want it to scale off of. For MAT, it would be 4. You can omit the user.level if you want.
I have been meaning to go over those tips and tricks, they sure open up a lot of possibilities :p

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ideally, I like light/soft armor and hats (less protective, but might have some unique boons), heavy/hard armor and helmets (most protective, but most vanilla), and some kind of magical "armor" with matching circlets, witch hats, etc (least protective, boosts MP/MAT/MDF, etc). Here's a few unique armor ideas.

Dresses
Female-only, usually. This is inspired by the Clothing armor in the RPG Maker Web first game tutorial, compared to its robes and light / heavy armor. Not as protective as even textile armor, but offer boons such as increased AGI, dodge rate, critical rate, etc. If robes or cloaks boost magical heroes, dresses are for skillful ladies. Helmets for dress-type body armor are ribbons and other hair accessories.

For those confident in their masculinity (or in being enby), I've pondered an exclusive accessory that allows non-female heroes to crossdress.

Suits
The guy-exclusive variant of Dresses! Why should ladies have all the fun with gendered outfits? Stuff like dapper tuxedos, handsome ties, classy top hats, and maybe a golden pocket / wrist watch if the setting allows. As with dresses, there could be an accessory for tomboys and butch gals (and confident non-binary folks, etc) to equip the manly apparel.

Scarves
A special armor slot like helmets, which I've pondered for my neck-bandanna-wearing, apocalyptic vixen. While armor adds defenses against damage types, scarves add customization outside of accessories. Might even *be* in place of accessories.

Unique Armor Slots
Armor that almost exclusively for one slot... within reason. Akin to the Dragon Scale and Fighter's Ring in DQ1 (if the ring *did* anything), these slots would stay open until you find the one item to fit it for the rest of the game. I hate games with an excess of gear slots, but I've pondered a "Hips" slot for my MC to get a critical-chance-boosting kung-fu sash. Being ambiguous about what could go there, without being too vague, helps.

Gladiator or Training Gear
While not limited to just armor, I like the idea of having to equip less-lethal weapons and less-powerful armor for coliseum matches, sparring, etc. Even standardized headgear and chest-guard could be requirements, instead of whatever OP armor you'd find later on, so that your core stats, abilities and player skills are more important. Something like the Arena armor suits from Oblivion, which seals all but your helmet and ring slots.

Unique Accessories
Rings are boring. Necklaces are boring. Talismans, pendants, and what-not are boring. I like the Dungeon World vibe where powerful, permanently-enchanted magic items are unique and tell a story. I like having mini-bosses drop accessories too, and some favorite ideas include the following...
  • A good-luck charm, the only accessory sold in normal equipment shops, that gives a slight chance to resist all status ailments
  • A brazen snake-on-a-pole symbol to resist Poison, inspired by the biblical Nehushtan or even the Caduceus
  • A crest once owned by a member of an apothecary guild, to add Pharmacology; alternatively for snack-based healing goodies, a sugar-glutton's literal "sweet tooth"
  • A brutal-looking leather spaulder, to add a Counterattack chance against physical attacks
  • A star-patterned bracelet inlaid with meteoric iron, to resist Paralysis; non-venomous paralysis effects are a form of mind-affecting magic in my setting, because Lovecraftian cosmic horrors and other pulp inspirations
  • A scarab to act as a self-destroying auto-revive ticket instead of an ankh, because the latter is overused in Egypt-inspired use; scarabs in Egypt represented immortality and resurrection too
  • A monocle to awaken one's third eye, to resist illusion-based Blind effects
  • A veteran duelist's favorite set of leather gloves, worn to every duel he's survived, to boost Attack Speed with normal weapon strikes
  • Though it could be a head-slot item too, I also like masquerade masks to lower MP cost, like the Mysterious Hat from Dragon Quest
  • Something, anything, to replicate the Merit Award in FF6, but for heavy armor only

Last edited:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Probably not very original, but I have my armor divided up like this:
  • Clothes: Everyone can wear these. Little protection, but generally a bit more offensive stats than other armor types.
  • Light Armor: Stuff like leather and chainmail falls in this category. Has some physical offensive stats on it too, but is only average protection
  • Heavy Armor: Solid defense, but that's about it.
  • Robes: Somewhere between light and heavy armor, but for magic defense instead of physical defense.
  • Hats: Anyone can wear, weak defensive stats with some offense
  • Helms: Solid defensive stats
  • Light Shields: Less protective, but better than nothing and usable by most members. More utilitarian in nature. For example (as a nod to Dragon Quest) defending with the Shield of Strength equipped also restores a small amount of HP.
  • Heavy Shields: Straight defensive. Useful anti-element shields (defending buffs party resistance vs the specific element for a turn) are only available as heavy shields.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Yanfly told me the new earth all animations in MZ look a bit like summoning potatoes and now I can't unsee it. halp
Despite time and all the other things I am working on, I decided that I am going to start a Fire Emblem-like project. Follow your dreams! I'll just have to balance hours efficiently. I'm also not making this as complex as my Might and Magic inspired project, so it will be a much easier project to work on.
So I've taken to doing a test of the game, and making a list of everything I think of during the test to add/fix. Over the course of the night I check them off as I do them, and by the end of the night I always feel like I've accomplished something. :LZSexcite:
Eventz MZ? Events MZ!
My laptop has been restarting for around ten minutes. Not updating. I am concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omniheirus