Orgaya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Let me know if this is in the wrong area.

I've been exploring alternate battle systems to avoid having my game's combat turn-based.  I've looked into things like XAS and Falcao Pearl, but every example I've seen is usually very complicated (I'm incredibly thick when it comes to scripting) or involves some kind of HUD.  As limited as it may be, I'm attempting to make my game somewhat cinematic, so the HUD would only get in the way of scenes that does not involve the player character.

Is there some kind of real time battle system that either has a toggle-able HUD or with no HUD whatsoever?  It doesn't have to be script-based either, I've seen older examples that were simply event-based, but the download links were dead.

If I need to be more specific please ask.  Thanks.

RHachicho

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'll be frank .. making something like that is extremely time consuming and if you want someone else to do it .. expensive. As stuff like collision detection comes into play and the rpgmaker engine isn't really designed to support that on anything but the tile system. Not only that but most real time combat systems require expending the basic way rpgmaker deals with character animations. I don't believe it's impossible. But I think a real time combat system is a VERY tall order in rpgmaker. With a lack of scripting knowledge yourself your looking at laying down a LOT of money to get someone to do it for you. You could perhaps persuade someone to partner up with you to make the game for a share of the profits. But realize what you are asking is not simple. (If it was yanfly would have been all over it lol) And if you have the know how it might be better to use a different engine. As some of the plugins for that do help with things you describe.  

LadyBaskerville

Hell-poodle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Nefertari83 has a tutorial series for an evented ABS (action battle system) on Youtube, but it's in German (and I couldn't find anything like that in English, either): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl1I2bD1AHDXZE0k1Nlf6Al-P0Gkmh0qs The maker is set to English, so you might still be able to follow along. If you use an evented system, you can just make two Common Events that toggle the HUD on / off with Erase / Display Picture commands.

I haven't worked with any VX Ace scripts, but if you have already found a script that works well for you otherwise, you could post a question in the Script Support section with a link to the script and ask there if someone knows how to switch off the HUD. Actually, I would be surprised if an ABS script came without that option.

Orgaya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for the answers. I actually went in and removed the HUD myself, so I guess I solved the issue. I'll probably still look into making it toggleable, though, by asking around in scripting threads.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

just destroyed hours of work again. i don't know why I bother.
World Map for the inside of my main character's head. Every spot is an area that either occupies his thoughts or staples of everyone's "headspace"
How can I look up the components for a medieval bomb for my game without the FBI showing up at my door?
I don't think I can handle using the real SNES resolution of 512x448 because resizing absolutely every interface element I had on hand by painstaking trial & error/guess and check (is there any other way?) is KILLING me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Germelshausen