Which version do you think I should get?

• XP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VX

• VX Ace

• One that I missed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elessar-chan

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is my first step into the world of 'RPG Maker' as a creator and I don't know which version I should start with as a newb and a bad programmer.

I was introduced to it as a possible way to present creative visions through fan-games like "Hearts and Heroes" on the VX Ace engine and a couple of other games, most of which run off of different versions.
Thinking about getting into the hobby as a way to express myself creatively with visuals, dialogue and soundtracks, it seemed right up my alley, but then I ran into a problem.

I don't know which version I should get.

I'm no good at programming and engines like Unreal and Unity scare me, so I am committed to buying one of the versions through steam, as there is currently a sale going on up until 'January 6th 2021'.

I like the way VX Ace looks, but from what I've seen and heard from online, it's considered outdated and not kind to newbies like myself as there are no tutorials.
So I looked into MV and noticed that people were favoring it a lot more than other versions. But those posts were around 2 years old, and there has since been a new version of RPG Maker released: MZ.
MZ seemed to have most of the problems encountered in previous versions (which had to be fixed with plug-ins) covered and is defiantly considered the best version yet, with its level editor, layering system and overall accessibility, but it has a very high price-tag, considering that I'm still a student and it's around $100 in my country's currency.

Which leads to why I posted this thesis.
I am torn between which version of the software I should get as a non-technical person, aka someone who cant code very well.
I would like to have someone's opinion who has used these versions before and would think that one of them would be a good choice for a new-comer with a Students salary.

-
(Sale details in NZD):
VX Ace, the old and non-newb-friendly is at $12.74
MV, the recently outclassed but community loved, $24.24
and MZ, the brand-new, tutorial filled version at $79.99

(It's possible that I haven't listed a version which is better suited for someone like me)

Thank you for coming to my TED-talk.

Last edited:

Elessar-chan

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
(jeez i write a lot sometimes. i'd appreciate any support/feedback)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would say to get MZ because it is the latest, but if money is a problem and MV is really that cheap, then definitely MV.

You can download a 30 day trial of Ace, and a 20 day trial of MV, to get a feel for them. From an editor perspective, they are very similar, but Ace has more limitations, so unless there's a specific reason you want Ace, go with MV.

If at some point you decide you want and can afford MZ, you will be able to port your MV game over and continue developing it in MZ.

Also, you can see our forum rules here. Take a quick look at them, as double posting (posting twice in a row, as you've just done) is not allowed.

Elessar-chan

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I would say to get MZ because it is the latest, but if money is a problem and MV is really that cheap, then definitely MV.

You can download a 30 day trial of Ace, and a 20 day trial of MV, to get a feel for them. From an editor perspective, they are very similar, but Ace has more limitations, so unless there's a specific reason you want Ace, go with MV.

If at some point you decide you want and can afford MZ, you will be able to port your MV game over and continue developing it in MZ.

Also, you can see our forum rules here. Take a quick look at them, as double posting (posting twice in a row, as you've just done) is not allowed.

oops, didnt realise that i did that, sorry
i'll go ahead and check out those trials, thanks very much.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Definitely either MV or MZ, which both use Javascript. JS is easier to learn than Ruby, imo. I started out w/ zero JS knowledge but quickly started learning it. I'm still not an expert or anything, but at least I can read some code now and can make simple edits. In your situation, I would purchase MV, but also download the trial version of MZ as well so you can play around w/ it.

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you checked Winter Sale?

I think with this sale you can buy at least 2 RPG Makers.
MV/MZ is the ideal choice, but I think you should get XP as well.
XP has the best assets imo. By buying XP, you can edit some assets
to fit into MV/MZ (it's not easy, but it's possible).
XP is $2.50 for now, so definitely get it.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would recommend MV for you Elessar. :rtea:
For the 'why', feel free to read my response in the following forum post:

AkraticHuman

Human
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think I'll second Sig and recommend MV, but mostly just due to cost/benefit analysis. Overall, I think MZ is superior, but MV is like 90% as good as MZ, and you can get a huge amount of plugins for free, or for a low price. You probably need to factor plugin costs if you want to cover the true cost of the hobby.

I don't want to say that Yanfly plugins are required, but they are very common, and in almost any project you can find. The MZ version of these have been (or will be) ported by Visustella (VS). If you compare the cost to get the full library of both, its pretty stark.

MV + Yanfly Plugin Library = ~32 NZD
MZ + VS Plugin Library = ~220 NZD

So I'd suggest MV for sure, at least for your first projects. If you absolutely love MV and think you'll pour 100s of hours into RPG Maker, or if you find yourself flush with cash, then you could consider switching over to MZ.

Good news is that the programming is very similar, so what you learn in MV will transfer over to MZ if you ever switch.

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I returned to RPG Maker primarily for MZ after having worked with other engines since XP. While it is new and lack plugins compared to MV, it grows by the day. MZ is better, or at least appears smoother for bigger projects according to some of my friends.

As for people comparing prices to plugin libraries. Do not take any of them into consideration. A lot of free plugins gets dished out, and javascript isn't the worst language to learn. Only invest into resources when you need them. I have myself invested into projects that died off, small sums that didn't matter, but heard of a guy who invested havily into a project, and ended up not using half of it.

If your considering what engine your going for, ignore what plugins or dlcs costs. A lot of resources are free, but their not required to complete a project. Investing into them are only worth it if you've made a lot of progress and need it to continue your project, at least thats my rule of thumb.

Volourn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MZ if you can afford. MV if you can't.

Older versions are fine, but as someone whose tried them all, the newer the versions the more 'conviences' they have to help non programmers. MZ may be new but it already has a good amount of plugins if that's your thing (as it is mine).

That said, older versions DO have features I really love and really wish they'd bring back. L0L

Riftspun

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Definitely either MV or MZ, which both use Javascript. JS is easier to learn than Ruby, imo. I started out w/ zero JS knowledge but quickly started learning it. I'm still not an expert or anything, but at least I can read some code now and can make simple edits. In your situation, I would purchase MV, but also download the trial version of MZ as well so you can play around w/ it.

Like yourself, I am thinking of changing my RPG Maker engine. Currently using MV, I have found plenty of plugins to utilize more features of this engine. I began using XP and the good-natured developers made it possible for me to re-use my assets (not scripts). I would TOTALLY purchase MZ if I could discern the ability to re-use my js plugins was now possible?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Riftspun, please do not hijack someone else's thread to ask your own question. Please start your own thread

Some MV plugins will work in MZ, some won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally started working on Grim Trigger episode 2 today :LZScat: it's half comic/half visual novel!

GfY3Rwj.png
Is it interesting to get more backstory on villains? A key moment in their past, their childhood, or maybe something that shows they've always been that way? To see or not to see?
"Everything tastes like chicken until it's chicken, then it doesn't taste like chicken."
Context: chicken samosas do not taste like chicken. I thought it was veggie samosas.
Just another ordinary evening.
This pig girl is a merchant and playable character.
Currently there's no name for her yet. a suggestion is welcomed.
Merchant.jpg
Merchant-1.jpg
Want for a Nail: I'm trying to figure out what controllers work with MZ, one support thread, a plugin request thread, a dead controller, and a $48 eBay purchase, and a PS1/PS2 USB adapter later. Still stuck with keyboard controls...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cobertk