Noob Questions: Text Formatting and Scripting

SpiritLouis

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello, Sorry if this is really a silly question, but i tried to navigate the help and the forum and found nothing

1) is there a way to format output text in MZ? or does it need scripting?

2) Is there some kind of course/tutorial for scripting, that is accessible to people not really clever as me?

Thank you :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) the textcodes can be checked both in the editor help file and become visible in a help window if you let your mouse hover over the text input window of the show text command.

there are plugins for additional text codes if the default codes are not enough, but for most cases the default options are all you need.

2) yes and no.
if you are new to the program, I strongly suggest to make your first game without any scripting.
javascript is only really needed if you want to program a plugin (and that needs a lot of knowledge) or for some specific additions to the damage formula (which can usually be learned as needed).

there is absolutely no need to learn scripting for a regular game, so you should start with a smaller game without scripting and learn that only when and where it is needed.

SpiritLouis

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
1) the textcodes can be checked both in the editor help file and become visible in a help window if you let your mouse hover over the text input window of the show text command.
Thank you so much. a list of the icon and the colors avalaible, can be seen somewhere?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
those are defined by your windowskin and the iconsheet, both in the projects system directory for images

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to offer my opinion as an addon to Andar's - he is not wrong that for a basic game it is not necessary to learn "how to code in JavaScript" as a huge umbrella thing.

However, there are some specific script calls that I think have valid use even in a mostly vanilla project - activating a self switch on another event is something I looked up and started using within the first week of my project.

It is perfectly possible to look up little things like that, or as Andar mentioned you might want, things to put in your damage formula, without learning JavaScript as a language.

Just Google them - MZ has been around for a few years now, and MV for even more years before that, so most of the script calls you might be curious about as a beginner have probably already been posted in threads.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Only 3 more days to get your copy of Move That Box! with -15% discount!
1660090657213.png
Mistakes will be made.
After three years, it was awesome to be back at Gen Con!
Words of Wisdom: You can be honest and alone. Or dishonest and together.
Working on mapping using RPGTools to create parallax maps using PVgames tiles/assets. It's super cool... but mapping is still something I drag my feet on getting done. I hate this but love the math parts of design, which is the opposite of a lot of dev's around, I think. It really do be different strokes for different folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking