Noobie here, where to begin?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by DandyCustard, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DandyCustard

DandyCustard Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi everyone, just finished playing Manifest, a game made by my friend Steve Bethune, and I really loved it. I've had an idea for a game for a long time and after talking to him about how he made it, I've decided to get RPG Maker VX Ace and try and make my game.

Problem is I'm a little bit overwhelmed. I've been watching some video tutorials and messing around with the options but I honestly don't really know where to start.

What do you all recommend? How can I get started on making a game that is very similar to Manifest in game play but is my own, unique story?

For info, Manifest can be seen here: http://rpgmaker.net/games/3694/

The game I want to create is basically the same thing, same style, same game play, same views, all that. I just want to create my own maps and story. If there is a good way to get started that isn't watching 60 more minutes of videos that would be fantastic. But I'm here to learn so any and all help is very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Des

Des timefantasy.net Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    yeah! just download rpg maker vx ace and go for it.

play around with the program and teach yourself; make a short game just for fun. don't expect to be able to create your dream game right off the bat, but put a few days into making something just to get used to workflow and feel of the program. :)

good luck bro.

3. TheModel79

TheModel79 The One Who Hears The Voices Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi DandyCustard!

As frieza said, don't go crazy and think you'll be able to make your perfect game on your first try. I recommend looking at the tutorial PDFs for both RPG VX and VXAce. They're very easy to follow and will give you a good idea of the basics, while letting you make a short game. From there, you can start to experiment with some of the functions and try something small of your own. That's pretty much where I am with things, so I know how you feel. You've definitely come to the right place though. It's a very friendly, knowledgeable and supportive community here, so there will always be someone who can answer any questions you have.

Welcome and best of luck to you :)

4. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I advise you to not make a "game" at first. but make "mini-games" or chapters to get a feel for things.

5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi and welcome! This thread This"]http://forums.rpgmak...entry23889 has a link to RPG Maker VX School. Even though it was created for RPG Maker VX, there is a lot of helpful information in it. Once you've gone through that, give the Practice Events linked in that thread a try as well. You can use the trial of VX to do those. Things are a bit different in Ace, but not so much that it won't be extremely helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  6. Azahoth

Azahoth Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    • Best advice I can give is start small and understand that most of things you need to learn will be through trial and error. There are multiple ways to accomplish the same goal and best way to do them will vary from person to person. The best way is experimenting with the editor and see what works for you and your project.
      A good way for me to learn was trying to recreate a scenes or puzzles from another game and then edit them beyond recognition. The positive thing about doing that is your familarilize yourself with the editor and have something saved that could be potentially used later. Most of my old teachers wanted to see work done before they would agree to help and I noticed it sometimes applies in the RPG maker community.

7. Espon

Espon Lazy Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly I find the best way to start off is to simply just start playing around with the program. Familiarize yourself with creating maps, messing with the database, and learning what each command in the events do. Tutorial videos will likely just lose you if you have no idea what they're referring to.

8. Ministry

Ministry Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Until you're really comfortable with the program you should keep your design concepts very flexible. Your bound to come across stuff that you just can't do (without getting into scripting, drawing/animating your own sprites, writing your own music, etc etc). So be ready to substitute stuff like crazy. If your main boss was going to be a giant shark with laser beams then maybe it could be a blue-tinted water werewolf instead.

You can always come here to ask for help, but being flexible will keep you from getting stuck for days on little details. Find a way to move around it and keep going. You'll pick up the advanced stuff later on.

9. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

We have a pretty neat discussion area here, too. If you're looking for some general game development advice (especially with planning), you should take a look. Some people also have developer blogs for their projects. I always find those to be very enlightening.

Other than the "read everything you see", my advice echoes what everyone else is saying. Just play around with the program. :)

10. Rafael_Sol_Maker

Rafael_Sol_Maker Almighty God Jabu Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To be exact, I always recommend to the newbie in software to learn the basics about Variables and Switchs, it is essential information to the player make progress in gameplay, and lots of other things in-game.

Mapping, eventing and databasing are pure pratice, as well scripting, you will need to learn how to program in a Ruby scripting language.

But definitely, learn how to plan an effective project from the Story to the final of the game design process. Oh, and have fun; it's important when starting!

11. wandering-warrior

wandering-warrior Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I suggest watching the rmvx ace basic video series. That should be a good start. here it is,,

http://forums.rpgmak...s-video-series/

After u see and learn from it, then just start playing around in the editor.. :D (events are fun to play with :D )

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  12. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
  13. DandyCustard

DandyCustard Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    WOW! Thanks everyone for so many good recommendations! I will definitely be following these suggestions and will do my best to learn the software. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions pretty soon :)

14. Rangicus

Rangicus Pistol Grip Pump Veteran

First Language:
    English
    As Chaos17 said I suggest reading that tutorial for comprehension and creating the sample game it specifies,

then implementing what you learned there into you're game.

I did the same thing and I am currently working on a game called Legend of Iferium.

Good Luck Bro if you need any other help just post it in the same section. ;)

Peace,

15. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes, as has already been said, have a look at a few tutorials so you understand the basics, then just go exploring the program's possiblities yourself, you can have a lot of fun finding out what you can do with events and stuff! :3

16. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Come back when you come across a problem! :)

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.